Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Typo on the Q9550S box?

idata
Employee

I did a bit of searching on the subject and couldn't find anyone with the same comment/question.... So take a look at this picture..

This is the label on the box for my Q9550S, which is about to go into my laptop.

In green it shows it is a Q9550S, but as you can see in red it shows that it is 95W....

I'm confused because this is a 65W processor as per all the spec's online....

So is this a typo or am I missing something here??

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Mike, this appears to be a typo, these are 65 W processors.

Could you please provide the Batch # the photo is hard for me to see the last few numbers.

This will help is tracing this issue back to the line it came from.

All SLGAR processors are Q9550S and 65W

Thanks,

Tim Simmons

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tim,

The batch number on the label is L035B490.

Thanks,

Mike.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You Better do some more checking on that CPU , from what I know it's a desktop CPU not a Mobil CPU.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

This what CPU world says.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Robert but my laptop supports Desktop processors.

I have a Q6600 in it now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mike, TDP is 65W, I was a know issue with the label being mismarked.

ORDERING AND SAMPLING INFORMATIONOrdering and Sampling InformationBoxed Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550S (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) LGA775MM# SocketStepStep TDPOrdering CodeSpec CodeHalogen FreeVT-xEmbedded

http://mark.intel.com/MMDetail.aspx?mm=901958 901958

LGA775E0-> 65
0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Do you know weather the mother board will support the Q9550s , I had a old HP that came with a q6600 and tried to upgrade to a q9550 no luck had to get a different board . one was G31 the other was G41 , which worked fine with the Q9550.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, I am going to open the box then and install.

Yes, there was a BIOS revision which I upgraded to in order to Support the Q9550 and Q9550S.

Thanks all for the help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You would need to check with HP, my guess would be no, if the Q9550 is not supported I doubt if the Q9550S would be.

They do list out the same chipsets as being compatibile on ark.intel.com. But being an HP system, they would be the ones to tell you if they have the support capibility. They would also need to add the support in the BIOS as well.

0 Kudos