1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 4:27 PM by Guest RSS

Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

HankB Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi folks,

I've installed Ubuntu 10.04.1 Server (32 bit) to a USB flash drive and cannot boot this installation on a D525MW system. At present the USB flash drive and RAM are the only additions to the board. I have updated to the most recent BIOS (v 0074) and it seems to make no difference.

When I try to boot, The screen goes blank with a blinking cursor at the upper left corner. I can use F10 to put up a boot device select menu and the USB drive is listed.

I can boot the Ubuntu installation media from USB flash drives (both Server install and "Live CD.") It seems to be the server install on the USB that gives the prob lem to the D525MW board.

I can boot the USB device I installed Ubuntu Linux Server to on other PCs (Eee PC 901, Thinkpad T500) without difficulty.

Any suggestions to get the D525MW to boot the USB Ubuntu Linux Server install would be most welcome.

thanks,

hank

• 1. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Hello, I've got the exact same problem.

I've tried Ubuntu desktop 10.10 and 10.04 (both in 32bit and 64bit versions) and ubuntu server 10.04 in 32-bit and 64-bit, but no luck. I've done most my tests with Ubuntu server 10.04 32bit like you. Neither ext4 nor ext2 worked.

Like you I can boot (and install from) ubuntu live cd's and live usb's (and the reason for this seems to be that the live images are not ext2/3/4, the usb version was fat32, don't know about the cd). Sadly ubunty refuses to install in a fat32 partition.

Also like you I can boot the installed server version from usb on my other two desktop computers (one AMD 780g system and one Intel x38 system), so there's clearly nothing wrong with the USB stick or installation.

I did a quick search here on the forums and found that several other people have had the same symptoms on the previous D510MO motherbard:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/17415

There was a promising statement on page 3 that the latest BIOS update for that board has supposedly solved the issue ("Fixed issue where system fails to boot with Ubuntu* bootable device attached."). Now I wonder if the same fix is comming to the D525MW board aswell (it doesn't seem too far fetched that the same solution could be ported to our board aswell)?

Anyway I contacted intel tech support chat and they made a ticket about this where I referenced these threads. Hopefully we'll get a reply soon...

//Johan

• 2. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Hello, I've got the same problem. Intel D525MW with updated BIOS to version 74.

It seems to be a general problem with booting linux from USB devices. Installed Ubuntu on a USB HDD also have failed to boot with this board, but works fine on other notebook.

• 3. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

I have the same issue

Ubuntu install/live cd boots fine from USB stick

I can boot the real system from HDD without any problems, but the same system installed on USB stick fails to boot

The very same USB stick works in other PCs

Are there any plans to fix it?

• 4. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

I've been in contact with intel chat support for the second time. They assured me that the problem had been escalated to the responsible engineering team, but I was told commnuication between support and intels engineers is only one-way - so he couldn't give me a date or a confirmation that they are working on the issue. He did however say that it was likely to be a bios update for the d525mw board soon since there havn't been one for long now.

So we'll just have to wait and see...

• 5. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Same problem with USb Flash Drive.

and when I called intel support  I was told that intel does not support ubuntu on this MB, only windows.

And in one sense they are correct, as the documenation is rather missleading...

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...?wapkw=(008326)

claiming the D525MW is NOT supported on linux, and only on 32 bit windows os's....

in contrast to the info on the D525MW referenced from the main page...

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb...(ubuntu+d525mw)

where they state that they have tested linux by "installation only..."

I guess installation means just that, install, not install and test to see if the install caused the thing to boot...

odd...

I kind of expected more from intel.....

• 6. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

I have some kind of a success story here, but i'm not sure if it will work for you

After many failures i've decided to give UEFI boot a try.

I've managed to boot both Debian and Ubuntu installers from USB thumb drive using eLILO.

My primary disk is Z-U130 USB flash SSD, and its where i wanted my OS to be installed. Previously i've managed to install both Ubuntu and Debian on it, but both distributions hanged on boot with blinking cursor

This time i wanted to do the same, but with UEFI boot, so i've created a 100MB EFI boot partition, and used rest of the space to set a root drive

After Debian installation i've accidentally installed GRUB in MBR. At this point the EFI partition was not formatted at all. The system rebooted, and suprise suprise, GRUB boot loader fired and Linux booted correctly

I've decided to retest it:

- i've installed same distribution again, but this time without EFI partition and GRUB in MBR - blinking cursor

- another installation, 100MB EFI partition, not formatted, GRUB in MBR - everything working perfectly

There clearly is something wrong with how BIOS handles USB disks, but it seems creating an even empty/unformatted EFI partition fools the process

Valp

• 7. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Thanks for the info, Valp.

For those of us not too familiar with UEFI and EFI boot partitions {raises hand}, can you point to a HOWTO or something with detailed instructions for how to th this?

thanks,

hank

• 8. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Thats the whole trick here.. I wanted to try UEFI, but i didn't finish the process. My box doesn't use UEFI boot atm

This is how my USB disk looks like now:

DeviceBootStartEndBlocksIdSystem
    /dev/sda1*150962566FAT16
    /dev/sda2501012190873683Linux

Partition 1 is not even formatted, and isn't marked as EFI partition (Id should be ef, not 6)

For some reason this configuration works with GRUB, which sits in MBR (/dev/sda)

Valp

• 9. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

I can confirm that the  key appears to be having a fat (I have fat32) as the first partition.

nothing has to be there.  Probably a bug in the bios that checks to verify that there is a fat partition before booting....

Works great!  pity that we had to discover it with Valps work....  Thanks Valp for the insight and help.

Ezzy

• 10. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

@Valp: Thanks for information!

• 11. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Please explain me how to extactly create the USB (with the correct partitions), so that it boots.

I want to boot freenas embedded, and have the boot problem also, and not an expert with partiotioning an USB stick

Thanks in advance.

• 12. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

As said, the Intel board looks for a bootable fat partition (hence why the live USBs work as these are on a Fat32 partition).

To get a USB install booting do the following:

1. Boot using a USB or CD Live/Installer

2. Once booted in to the OS, click 'Try' if prompted.

3. Plug in the USB drive you want to install linux on

4. Using Disk Utility (System > Administration > Disk Utility), locate the drive.

5. Click on Format Drive

6. Create a partition using Fat16 or Fat32, it doesn't matter which as you won't be formatting it or using it. Click to make it bootable.

7. Create a Linux Native partition Ext4, don't make it bootable.

8. Create a Linux Swap partition

9. Close Disk Utility

10. Double click on the desktop icon to install linux.

11. When asked, choose to manually set partitions.

12. Set the Linux Native Ext4 partition to mount / and tick 'Format'.

13. Select the USB device in the Boot loader dropdown.

14. Proceed to install.

That'll now boot

Excuse any missing steps or incorrect descriptions above, it was written from memory as this is how I worked my way around the issue a couple of days ago.

Intel are a joke, I must say.

Hope this helps where Intel failed to.

• 13. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

Hi,

i tried it, but he hangs in GRUB at: loading Stage2...

this happns with or without 1. FAT Partition on the stick.

Fdisk says the right, an i also tried repoair GRUB ( root (hd0,1) setup (hd0,1) ...)

any ideas?

• 14. Re: Cannot boot Linux Server installed to USB flash driven on D525MW board

ok, now it works, the 1. Partition the Board finds was FAT but not bootable....i make it bootable now it runs

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...