1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 7:44 PM by tmr0378

DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!

tmr0378

Greetings,

I have tried everything to get this board to install windows 7 to no avail.  This is not a new build.  I needed to reload my OS.

I've tried the following:

Updated to latest BIOS, swapped out memory, the video card, the hard drive, installing Win 7 from CD/DVD and thumbdrive, changing SATA ports, loading optimal settings in the BIOS.

It won't install Windows 7 Home or Professional 32-bit or 64-bit.  It hangs up in the exact same place every time.  It loads the files, goes to the next screen and says "Windows Loading" the icon swirls in and then NOTHING!  It just freezes with the logo on the screen.

However, it loads Windows XP with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

• 1. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
          tmr0378

Correction, the screen says "Starting Windows" not "Windows Loading".

• 2. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
            Boyet

How long did you wait during the freeze before deciding its a freeze?

• 3. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
              tmr0378

Around 15 minutes.

• 4. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                Boyet

And there is no activity (hd or dvd/cd drive)?

Normally when you have such a display Windows is still configuring or continuing the installation. A little longer time might be needed.

• 5. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                  tmr0378

The drive is not the issue.  The problem still occurs with no periphials connected (hard drives, cd/dvd, etc.) to the mobo.  I only have a thumb drive connected.  As I stated above, I was able to load a copy of Windows XP with no problems.

• 6. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                    Boyet

I'm not saying that your drive is the problem. What I mean when I ask for activities in drives is that when windows is continuing its installation you can observed that the computer is accessing the hd through the hd Led or the dvd (through its led also) where the installation disk is generally located.

Since you only have a thumb drive, how big is it and how did you install the OS (Windows 7)?

• 7. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                      tmr0378

Originally installed Win 7 with CD/DVD.  When attempting to install this time, mobo activity led and cd/dvd activity led are active to the point of the freeze up, then they are both out and continue to stay out.  Same with the thumbdrive.  Activity up to the point of lockup and then no activity.

Thumb drive is 16 gig.

Windows XP was installed using cd/dvd drive.

• 8. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                        Boyet

Windows 7 might need more space greater than 16 gb. Here is an estimate from the forum in microsoft's website: "Windows 7 64 bit requires a minimum of 20 GBs, but I would push that from 30 to 40 GBs and another 20 Gbs for apps."

• 9. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                          tmr0378

Hello?!  I am not trying to load Win 7 onto the thumbdrive.  I'm trying to load Win 7 FROM the thumbdrive.

• 10. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                            Boyet

Sorry. Just want to be more clear. So the installation is from a bootable usb flash drive with the Win 7 installer on it. During installation did you let the installer perform any formatting or erasing then creating new partitions on the hd? Or you prepare the hd first before installing?

What I usually do is to erase the partition, create a new one and format it. Then I install the OS.

Message was edited by: Boyet

• 11. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                              tmr0378

The hard drive is a 60 gig SSD.  I erased and formatted the drive prior to attempting the install.  The drive is not the issue.  I have already loaded a copy of XP on the drive.

To reiterate, this is not a periphial issue.  I'm not even getting that far into the installation.  It locks up after the files are loaded and the "Starting Windows" message is displayed.  At this point of the installation, Win 7 does not even know what hard drives, if any, are available.

Where are all of the Win 7 gurus?!

• 12. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                                Boyet

Tom wrote:

Greetings,

I have tried everything to get this board to install windows 7 to no avail.  This is not a new build.  I needed to reload my OS.

I've tried the following:

Updated to latest BIOS, swapped out memory, the video card, the hard drive, installing Win 7 from CD/DVD and thumbdrive, changing SATA ports, loading optimal settings in the BIOS.

It won't install Windows 7 Home or Professional 32-bit or 64-bit.  It hangs up in the exact same place every time.  It loads the files, goes to the next screen and says "Windows Loading" the icon swirls in and then NOTHING!  It just freezes with the logo on the screen.

However, it loads Windows XP with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am no guru but I know how to install from DOS up to Windows 7.  Here is my analysis base on your statement:

Statement: I needed to reload my OS. This means that you have installed a system probably with other installed programs or files in your HD/SSD.

Statement: loading optimal settings in the bios. This means that the default values are set. HD is in IDE mode. Boot Sequence is in default including the RAM settings.

I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 a few hours ago using a spare/blank HD drive but I could not proceed without changing the bios settings first. For the HD I have selected AHCI mode (Since you have a SSD this might be the one mode that you should set unless you prefer RAID). For the Boot sequence: DVD/CD, HD sequence without network and removable devices but with usb devices enabled to boot.

I use my Microsoft DVD installer. From my observation of the whole installation process there are three instances where you will see "Starting Windows". The instalaltion went through without any problem.

Now if your problem is in the first instance or in the other instance of "Starting Windows" there are two possibilities that I can think of: One is that the HD or SSD must first be erase or wipe clean before initiating the installation. This does not mean that your HD is defective. Another is that your copy of Windows 7 installer which is place in your flash drive is defective. Again your flash drive is not defective but only some file/files. When you are installing Windows XP it went through without a problem, this can only mean that your Windows XP installer is good. There might be other reasons for your problem but I'm just giving you the most probable ones.

I hope I have provided you with the needed help. Good luck.

Note:

I have made the assumption that the DVD/CD or Flash/Thumb drive that contain the installer are properly prepared and made bootable. Again this does not mean that they are defective.

Message was edited by: Boyet

• 13. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                                  Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi Tom,

How exactly did you create the windows 7 install USB?

• 14. Re: DX58SO Will Not Install Windows 7!
                                    tmr0378

Here is the results at my latest attempt to get this board to function.

Placed my SSD in another computer.  Installed Win 7 Pro with my USB thumbdrive in less than 15 min.  No problems whatsoever.

Removed SSD and put back into computer with DX58SO mobo.  My idea was to start Win 7 in safe mode and see if I could make progress from there.

Checked the bios and verified SSD was present at SATA port 0.  Boot sequence was also verified.

Saved bios settings, restarted, and the following message was displayed:

"No boot drive detected."

Shut machine down, moved SSD to another SATA port, verified change in bios, rebooted and the same message is displayed.

Went back into bios, changed HD mode from IDE to ACHI, reboot and the same message is displayed:

"No boot drive detected."

1 2 Previous Next