4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 4:05 PM by jpiszcz

Random reboot on DP55KG system

viorelgabico

I have built a system based on DP55KG desktop board.

Everything works fine apart from the fact that the system randomly reboots. It might happen twice a day or once a day or won't happen at all. The only error message I get is after reboot when Windows7 says that it didn't shut down properly.

Below some info about the system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
      Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
      Other OS Description  Not Available
      OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      System Manufacturer INTEL_
      System Model KBIBX10J
      System Type x64-based PC
      Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         660  @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. KGIBX10J.86A.5893.2010.1116.0001, 16/11/2010
      SMBIOS Version 2.6
      Windows Directory C:\Windows
      System Directory C:\Windows\system32
      Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
      Locale United Kingdom
      Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
      Time Zone GMT Standard Time
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Kingston 4gb Ddr3 1333mhz Memory Module Non-ecc Cl9

Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
      Available Physical Memory 13.9 GB
      Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
      Available Virtual Memory 29.7 GB
      Page File Space 16.0 GB
      Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Gigabyte HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI Out SILENT PCI-E Graphics Card

LG BH10LS30 10x BD-RE with DVD±RW & LightScribe SATA Blu-Ray Drive - OEM Black

Western Digital WD10EALS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail

Can anyone help, please?

• 1. Re: Random reboot on DP55KG system
          Boyet

Check memory timing settings in bios including voltage setting. It might be necessary to adjust memory voltage settings. 

• 2. Re: Random reboot on DP55KG system
            jpiszcz

Hi,

Did you ever find a root cause for this problem?

Justin.

• 3. Re: Random reboot on DP55KG system
              viorelgabico

Sorry to get back so late on this issue. Actually I've just solved the problem a couple of weeks ago.

The memory modules were faulty. After trying a couple of memory test programs which found the memory modules ok, I run out of options and I just used one memory module at a time. Only one out of four modules (and it happend to be the last one that I tried) worked without restarting the computer. Logged a fault on Kingston website and they replaced all of them straight away without asking any questions. I had to send the memory to them in the first instance in order to get the new ones back. It only took two days to get the new ones. I'm happy now, no random restarting anymore altough the computer seems to be running a bit slower with the replacements.

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Random reboot on DP55KG system
                jpiszcz

Thanks for your reply, I'm still trying to narrow down my crash issue.

I've been using the same Kingston 16GB as you I believe, I switched back to 8GB (2GB x 4 modules)-- removed all of the 4GBx4 modules for now and I'll see if it recurs. The problem with my issue is it only happens every 1-2 months (spontaenous reboot).

I'm not updating my thread until it hasn't crashed for 3-6 mos or so as it has been ridiculous (replacing mobo, cpu, psu, etc, still occurrs..)

Has to be memory at this point is my guess.