Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel HD driver on Linux (Ubuntu)

idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm trying to find an appropriate Linux driver for my intrel HD video card. Is there something official I can use? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Marouen

5 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

See http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm Availability of Intel® Graphics drivers for Linux*

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have an Acer Travelmate 5744 using Intel HD graphics video card. After two days of trying i had let ik worked finaly. I will write down the instructions below, i hope it will be usefull for you too.

First step (adding repository):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

and typ your root passwoord.

Second step (update):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

After finishing close the terminal and restart your computer. Go to Update Center to update and install the updates. Restart after installing the updates. When you go to System Properties-Extra Hardware Drivers you can see the new drivers installed.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Which Ubuntu are you using?, most will come with a version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver, if it works fine out of the box, you don't need to update it normally.

If you do want to keep it up to date, I'd recommend the stable Ubuntu-X PPA rather than the Xorg-Edgers one tbh :-

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

powerarmour is right. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a Samsung NP700Z7C-S02UK. The Intel drivers were installed during the OS installation process without having to do anything.

It's my first experience with Intel graphics, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. Everything is so snappy, smooth and responsive. The installation was painless (non-existent - just installed by default). Dual monitor support works flawlessly (unlike dual monitor support with the proprietary nVidia drivers which always resulted in tearing in one of the monitors because it wasn't able to vsync two different monitors correctly).

I have discovered, however, that SNA (SandyBridge New Acceleration) is still buggy on Linux (I've only tried with Ubuntu 12.10). Having said that, SNA is not enabled by default. To enable SNA, you have to modify or create /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and add the following:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Card0"

Driver "intel"

Option "AccelMethod" "sna"

EndSection

After doing this, reboot. You can check that SNA is running by opening up a terminal and entering the following:

grep -i sna /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If there is output from the above command, then SNA is running.

The bug I discovered is the titlebar is not rendered correctly on some windows that lose focus (Firefox being one of them). It's nothing major, but for me it's annoying. I've also found that QuakeLive does not start (with or without SNA).

My laptop also has an nVidia 650m, but I haven't even bothered installed the latest Bumblebee (3.0) in order to use the 650m as I'm so happy with the HD 4000. As someone who solely uses Linux for work and play, I'd like to know if HD 4000 is available for the desktop?

0 Kudos
QFang1
Novice

I am having difficulty configuring dual-screen on my Ubuntu (12.04 LTS) box. My graphics uses the build-in graphics from my newly purchased i7 4770 (I believe it is Intel HD 4600). The mobo is Gigabyte HD-Z87-HD3, which has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 VGA output. I tried all combinations of the 3 ports, none of them allows me to turn my two displays to an extended desktop, similar to twinview for nvidia. No matter what I do, both of my monitors show exactly the same content;

xrandr -q also lists only one screen:

fangq@mars:~$ xrandr -q

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

Screen 0: minimum 1920 x 1080, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 1920 x 1080

default connected 1920x1080+0+0 0mm x 0mm

1920x1080 0.0*

using another tool, ARandR, I can only see a single screen named "default".

my Ubuntu is LTS 12.04. I tried both kernel 3.2.0-5x and 3.8.0-31, neither of them does what I want.

can anyone tell me what I did wrong? does the current xserver-xorg-video-intel driver support dual-screen at all?

0 Kudos