1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 11:50 AM by mechbob

5.1 system problem

dorudm

Hi,

I have a strange problem on my PC(DG45ID motherboard) with Windows 7 Proffesional x64.

I have a 5.1 system conected to my integrated soundcard, which is properly connected and set in the IDT software. If I test the speakers from this a sound can he heards in each of the speakers but in normal use only 2 speakers can be heard(in winamp/wmp/gom player ... whatever).

All speakers also work in some games I played (e.g. Splinter Cell Conviction).

If someone can help me in this it would be great.

thx

• 1. Re: 5.1 system problem
          mechbob

SPI/DF is two chanel you have to have a decoder to get 5.1 . I Know what you mean ,I have a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 and it's connected by a Toslink cable But the Logitech sys decodes it into 5.1.

• 2. Re: 5.1 system problem
            Flying_Kiwi

Robert Gifford wrote:

I have a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 and it's connected by a Toslink cable But the Logitech sys decodes it into 5.1.

How are you finding the latest IDT Drivers as far as stability goes, if you enable Dolby Digital in the control panel software - especially if you use it like this over an extended period and try playing around with things like volume sliders etc. Is it all rock solid on your DG45ID Robert? What motherboard rev do you have this hooked up to?

• 3. Re: 5.1 system problem
              mechbob

DG45ID VER.309.

• 4. Re: 5.1 system problem
                dorudm

My sound card should be a 5.1 one so why should I need something else?

Indead if I enable Dolby Pro Logic IIx all of them work but the quality is much lower then it should normaly be.

• 5. Re: 5.1 system problem
                  mechbob

What speaker sys are you using??

• 6. Re: 5.1 system problem
                    dorudm

genius 5050

• 7. Re: 5.1 system problem
                      mechbob

Does it support Dolby Digital II, THX ,DTS 96-24 .??

• 8. Re: 5.1 system problem
                        Flying_Kiwi

dorudm, according to the Genius Website there's no mention of Dolby Digital support for the V2 of this product (can't imagine V1 had it either). This means it'll be a case of having to use the analog (wire) cables plugged into their respective sockets to get 'surround sound' where the media being played calls for it.

parsec wrote a very detailed (and helpful) explanation of things related to surround sound, Dolby, DTS etc over in this thread - it's well worth a read.

Robert, thanks for the mobo version - are you finding Dolby Digital to work reliably with your DG45ID and IDT driver software or is the software a little shaky when DD is enabled? You're one of few here using this board with a DD speaker arrangement hence my butting in to ask how it's going for you (sorry dorudm).

• 9. Re: 5.1 system problem
                          dorudm

@Robert:

You lost me with these questions

The strange thing is that the system works ok in games, e.g. Splinter Cell.

This is the strangest thing, why it works ok in games.

I tested the audio system on a laptop with 5.1 sound card and it worked great from start.

Thx.

• 10. Re: 5.1 system problem
                            Flying_Kiwi

dorudm, please have a read of the (quite long) post by parsec in that thread I linked to (just click the link) and you'll find an explanation of some of the terms Robert referred to - take your time and it should make sense.

As for why not all the speakers are working all the time, it's because that is up to the software/game/DVD Player etc to call however many speakers it wants to do its thing. Without all the components working together to achieve 5.1 sound, it'll default to only a subset of all the speakers. From having a read of the wikipedia website relating to Dolby Pro Logic II, it appears that the reason why the sound quality using this feature over all the speakers isn't as good as what you get out of plain stereo, it's because the system software where you selected Dolby Pro Logic II has to chop up the sound intended for two speakers (eg what comes out of your sound playing software) and 'water it down' (for want of a better term) to suit 5.1 speakers. It's different if you have software that's programmed to output 5.1 seperate channels of sound to begin with (as per the game you mentioned) because that software will take account of precisely what sounds it'll want in each speaker.

• 11. Re: 5.1 system problem
                              mechbob

It's been working fine , I even took it downstairs and hook it up to my Yamaha RX-800 , The 5.1 works great when hooked up to a high end reciver.

• 12. Re: 5.1 system problem
                                mechbob

You ought to hear this at 800 watts RMS 8Ohms. through 8 speakers a center and a sub . I bug the neibors.

• 13. Re: 5.1 system problem
                                  Flying_Kiwi

Robert Gifford wrote:

It's been working fine , I even took it downstairs and hook it up to my Yamaha RX-800 , The 5.1 works great when hooked up to a high end reciver.

Thanks for that. I guess because you're using the receiver to adjust volume etc, you wouldn't be giving the PCs mixer and IDT Control panel software a good workout?

• 14. Re: 5.1 system problem
                                    mechbob

I'v done it both ways I also have a Logitech Z-5500 SYS that it's normaly hook to . But again the Logictech sys supports Dolby II and THX and DTS.

1 2 Previous Next