12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 1:33 PM by HWB

DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's

mann

This post is in addition to my post with the same title on 1/15/11.

If you haven't seen that post this is about BSOD's that identify the Marvell mv91xx.sys file, which relates to the Marvell drivers on the Intel DX58so2 MB.

Haven't been able to stop BSOD's and I think it's Marvel/AHCI/SATA 6GB/s with an SSD related.

Called Intel tech support twice and got 2 completely different answers.

Installed chipset driver version 9.1.2.1008 from Intel download center but can't find where to verify that the system is using that new version.

Installed Marvell SATA driver version 1.0.0.1039 from Intel download center but don't see where any drivers have changed in device manager.

Verified latest firmware version on Crucial C300 SSD.

(Yes, the drive is plugged into one of the Blue (6GB/s SATA) connectors on the MB)

Anyone have a clue?

DeviceManagerScreenShot.jpg

• 1. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
          Borden

I finally gave up on the "Blue Plugs" I got both my new Crucials to work perfectly using the Sata 3g slots. I read somewhere that the 6g doesn't have Trim and that you cant really notice a difference in speed. Hope that's helpful

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's

Just to chime in with my experience, similar to yours I think.

Just built a new system with the DX58SO2 today, and installed Win7 on a Corsair P3 128GB SATA3 6GB/s SSD plugged into one of the MB's blue SATA3 ports. Initially no problems, but also had a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black SATA3 6GB/s HD plugged into the other blue SATA3 port. Soon as I tried to format this secondary HD and give it a drive letter in Win7 I got a BSOD, with MV91XX.sys driver highlighted as the cause.

Updated to latest MB drivers, as well as the lastest Marvell SATAIII drivers, and if anything, things got worse. Many multiple BSODs, at random times, MV91XX.sys still the problem.

I have just plugged both drives into a standard black SATA2 and so far things have been fine, no BSODing.

I guess the Marvell SATA3 driver / controller is flaky as hell, which is annoying. Just going to have to put up with having my SATA3 drives plugged into SATA2 ports for now, which sucks.

The latest Marvell drivers to download from Intel are from 10/20/2010, with many of the other drivers for the MB having very recent versions (2011), so maybe we'll get some new ones soon. Who knows ...

Anybody else have similar issues? Any fixes?

• 3. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
              levicki

You can try to download latest drivers directly from Marvell. Also, there might be a BIOS update with updated Marvell controller BIOS inside. Finally, I would check the SATA cables, you can have all sorts of problems with cheap SATA cables.

• 4. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                jedrichards

As far as I know Marvell don't offer any driver downloads at all from their site. All their driver downloads are supplied via their manufacturing partners like Intel, or EVGA, or whoever. But perhaps I'm wrong, can you point me towards a Marvell driver download area if you know of one?

I have the latest BIOS update, and Marvell drivers from Intel, they don't help any with this particular problem.

A quick search on the net reveals a ton of users having very similar problems with a variety of drives, and motherboards, with the common factor being Marvell's SATA3 6Gb/s controller/drivers, so I doubt of its the cables ...

• 5. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's

Don't know if this will help or seems to elementary -- BUT

If you look at the spec sheet for the INTEL 500 Series SSD's (also called the 6 GB/s SATA SSD drives)

the supported INTERFACEs are the SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0Gb/s SATA ports on the MB  -- doesn't even list the 6GB/s SATA port as an interface.

Somewhat confusing, as speeds tested and reported on this spec sheet for the SSD show speeds much higher than then 3GB/s SATA port theoretically is supposed to support yet I/O is to a 3GB/s SATA port?  Someone will have to explain this to me.

• 6. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                    levicki

Hmm... they had drivers some time in the past. Obviously not anymore.

Can you try to download and install those drivers:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/Marvell9123-9120_V1001042_XpVistaWin7.zip

I have found some threads where people say ASUS Marvell drivers work.

• 7. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                      jedrichards

Thanks! Will give these a shot and report back ...

Other things I've learned:

- Apparently the SATA3 Marvell MV91XX drivers don't have TRIM support, and don't have that great performance at the moment anyway, so connecting your drives to a SATA2 port with good/stable drivers isn't that much of a downgrade for now.

- Some people recommend reverting back to the MS AHCI drivers for the SATA3 ports.

• 8. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                        HWB

DX58S02 SATA3 ports do not work with OCZ 120ex SSD.  (Win 7-64)

To solve the problem install your SSD to a SATA2 port (SATA2 is faster then any SSD built so don't worry about speed loss)

If Intel or Microsoft release anything that makes my SSD work on a SATA3 port on a DX58SO2 board I will reply here.

• 9. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                          jesusrcm

(SATA2 is faster then any SSD built so don't worry about speed loss)

HWB, you can't solve the problem installing your SSD to a SATA2.

Considering that SATA II maximum speed is 375 mb/s

OCZ 120 Vertex3 speed is 550 mb/s

Anyone solved this problem with Marvell drivers SATA3 and Windows 7 64?

• 10. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                            jesusrcm

I solved the problem by installing a new Firmware for the:

Marvell 88SE9128

Firmaware version:
                            1.0.0.1701/2.2.0.1118/1.0.0.1029

Now my OCZ Vertex 3 IOPS work correctly in SATA3 without crashes, freezes or blue screens.

So much it costs to put firmware updates on the official pages?

• 11. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                              HWB

Could you please share the link to the Marvell update

• 12. Re: DX58so2 / SSD / BSOD's
                                HWB

I'm trying to determine how this item is considered resolved.  It has been 11 monthss since this thread was started and it is not resolved unless one considers “it does not work” as the resolution.  Seeing the new Marvell Driver have me some hopes along with Jesus post regarding his success.  I decided to go direct to OCZ and ask the question regarding SSD's on the Marvell SATA(3) dx58so2 mobo.  Here is their answer.

Trouble Ticket ID: 217318

Description: OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SATA III 2.5" SSD Comment By: Eric Von Stwolinski

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment: The Marvel controller on that motherboard is attached through the PCI-E interface with only 1x of bandwidth, which means that the maximum throughput will be around 350mb/s. While it uses a SATA 6.0gbps interface it doesn't have nearly 6.0gbps of bandwidth, and this can cause severe instability when the controller is running at or above maximum throughput. Even a single SATA 6.0gbps SSD will more than max out what the Marvel controller is able to do.

If you put two SSD's in raid0 on the Marvel controller the raid will almost certainly run more slowly than a single SSD by itself on that controller. The built in ICH10R chipset has a much greater amount of total bandwidth and so it can more easily support multiple SSD's. While the speed for each individual drive is slower the ICH10R chipset has a much greater amount of available bandwidth.

You will not have any problems with a HDD or an optical drive however, as they do not use up very much bandwidth due to being slower drives.