1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 2:21 AM by Flying_Kiwi

Help Understand Issues - Ultra ATA HD - New Windows XP Install?

scottdev

Running:
      P4 - 2.4 GHz

82801DB Mother Board
      845GRC Chipset

2 MB Ram

Bios: RG84510A.86A.0033.P17

I recently tried to install Windows XP on a new Ultra ATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250 GB Hard Drive and forgot about the problem with large hard drives issue (which I am educated very little about). The installation process progressed as usual in terms of formatting drive, copy files to install, etc, but upon reboot the hard drive would not boot to the Windows GUI to install windows. I thought it was a disk issue such as a scratch or something, but the install disk worked fine installing onto a 10 GB Western Digital IDE hard drive. So I guess the problem is related to the size of the hard drive and/or the Ultra

ATA issue. By the way, my bios does recognize the hard drive.

I have an Intel 845GRC Chipset. Intel's website says:

"Does the Desktop Board D845GRG support Ultra ATA/100 hard drives?
      Yes. The Desktop Board D845GRG supports Ultra ATA transfer rates up to 100 MB/sec (ATA/100) by way of the ICH4 IDE controller with two independent bus-mastering IDE interfaces. An Ultra ATA/100 supported hard drive and an 80 conductor IDE cable are required to take advantage of the increased bandwidth available on the IDE channel. One of the new features of the Intel Desktop Board D845GRG is its ability to support larger ATA/100 capable hard drives with 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) within the BIOS along with all Ultra ATA transfer rates (i.e., 33 MB/sec, 66 MB/sec and 100 MB/sec). To realize a true throughput performance difference, a hard drive may need to implement higher spindle speeds, such as 7200 RPM, and a large onboard buffer size to take advantage of the increased bandwidth available on the IDE channel."

I am confused about what needs to be done to:

a. Be able to install windows xp without the problem above.
      b. Be able to have windows use the entire hard drive instead of only 137 GB.
      c. Whether I need to Install Intel Application Accelerator software or Slipstream Windows Install or both.
      d. Is this problem related to only the large size of the disk, or also an Ultra ATA issue? I thought Ultra ATA was just

another flavor of IDE?

Do I need the Intel Application Accelerator software?
      http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=5497&lang=eng

Is it possible to install Windows and have it able to read the entire drive without installing this additional accelerator

software later after Windows is installed (how would I be able to install it anyway if I can't get Windows to install?)?

Do I need to reinstall Windows using slipstream SP2? If so, can I slipstream sp3 only, or can or should I slipstream SP2 and SP3 upon the same installation?

I read conflicting information - one website said that if slipstream sp3, that would include all other updates from SP1 and SP2 - another website (including Microsoft) said that each must be installed before the next one.

If I slipstream, do I still need to install the Inter Accelerator software? Or can that be slipstreamed as well?

Hope someone can help me make sense of this. I know once I get it down I'll be good for future ATA installs.

• 1. Re: Help Understand Issues - Ultra ATA HD - New Windows XP Install?
          Flying_Kiwi

scott wrote:

Do I need to reinstall Windows using slipstream SP2? If so, can I slipstream sp3 only, or can or should I slipstream SP2 and SP3 upon the same installation?

You're onto it. Win XP original version doesn't include LBA 48 bit support (which is what you need to fully support PATA HDDs above 137 GB) so the easiest way to go about this is to make an XP SP3 installation CDROM using slipstreaming. Here's a website which is very helpful on the topic: http://www.48bitlba.com/ as far as making a slipstreamed installation CDROM, you only need SP3. Googling how to do this generates lots of hits.