2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 11:37 AM by

DH67CF; does it have port multiplication on eSATA?

mrmylanman

I looked around online some, and could not find a definitive answer on this.

I'd like to build a small PC using this board, and then have an external enclosure using port multiplication for my (semi long term) storage of media.  If it doesn't have port multiplication, then I'll just hang on to my larger desktop now.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DH67CF; does it have port multiplication on eSATA?
          yf38

Hi,

Planning to upgrade to sandy bridge, I also checked if port multiplier was available on H67 platform.

It looks like this is not the case, because:

- In DH67GD motherboard manuals it is written that all sata ports support a single drive. This sounds normal for sata ports, but if you are thinking to port multiplier this may also read as "no port multiplier supported".

- In H67 chip spécification I found nothing about port multiplier except one line about LEDs within a command register definition, and that's all.

- In Intel Rapid Storage help, even the last rev. of dec. 15 it is written that port multiplier is not supported.

It looks like port multiplier technology is not a great priority for Intel desktop boards chipset.

It would be interesting to know if this technology will be made obsolete by the new USB3 one.

With mini-itx, if you dont use PCIe slot, maybe it is possible to install  a Silicon Image controller which supports port multiplier.

edit: typo

• 2. Re: DH67CF; does it have port multiplication on eSATA?

Thank you for the response.

I plan on eventually upgrading to a discrete GPU, so I'd like not to, however the hard drive enclosure I was looking at supports USB 3.0 as well, which I originally overlooked.  Since the Intel board has USB 3.0 supported, looks like port multiplier is a moot point anyway.

I'll probably be buying this board in the coming weeks and build a new PC around it.

Thanks!