7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 11:45 AM by mechbob

i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE

LouCipher

Hey guys,

I just bought an Intel DP67DE and a i5-2500k.

I turned off SpeedStep, C1E and Turbo but the processor runs at 1.6 Ghz when idle.

I made some photos of my BIOS settings. Maybe you can help me?

• 1. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
          yf38

Maybe you should look at windows power management which probably overrides bios settings.

• 2. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
            LouCipher

Windows is in high performance mode.

So it's not a windows issue.

• 3. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
              Flying_Kiwi

LouCipher wrote:

Hey guys,

I just bought an Intel DP67DE and a i5-2500k.

I turned off SpeedStep, C1E and Turbo but the processor runs at 1.6 Ghz when idle.

So given it only takes a tiny fraction of a second to ramp up to full speed when demand calls for it, is this posing a problem in some way with your system or software? What do you hope to achieve and why? It'll be helpful for any Intel people who may drop by if they can see a compelling reason to address this. As things stand currently, you are saving power, generating less heat and therefore extending your system life.

[EDIT] Also there are selections within the default High Performance power scheme which don't give the absolute maximum power consumption so it'd pay to double check the sub options for possible customisation options.

• 4. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
                LouCipher

You're right but ramping up to full speed at 15% load is not good.

And too many load alternation can cause windows freezes.

Also without Speedstep etc. you need less VCore over duration -> saves energy.

It's not a big problem for me but I want to know whether it's a BIOS bug.

All sub options of energy settings are at high performance and not at energy saving.

• 5. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
                  Doc_SilverCreek

LouCipher wrote:

You're right but ramping up to full speed at 15% load is not good.

And too many load alternation can cause windows freezes.

Also without Speedstep etc. you need less VCore over duration -> saves energy.

It's not a big problem for me but I want to know whether it's a BIOS bug.

All sub options of energy settings are at high performance and not at energy saving.

?  I am lost on your logic.

When enabled, Speed steep reduces power when the power is not needed and saves energy at the cost of about 3 clock cycles to bring it back to full or even Turbo Boosted speed.

Load alternation - Turbo Boost changes C states 1 to 2 hundred times per second. This is completly invisiable to the OS other than through monitoring tools and won't cause window freezes. If your seeing window freezes, I would check out you memory.

I tried to check your photos. but they are too small to read.

• 6. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
                    mechbob

Doc you have to click on the pic than click open link . it's a photo service. Bob

• 7. Re: i5-2500k clocks down @ Intel DP67DE
                      mechbob

I think you should set everything back to defaults , Unless you are realy worried about your electric Bill. Than let it run as entended.