4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 8:55 AM by

Could Intel Matrix Storage be causing corruption on my Recovery RAID1 Volume?

d13x

Hi, I have 2 new HP 8740w mobile workstation computers configured with an Intel "RAID Recovery" volume. This volume runs Windows 7 pro 64-bit. The main Hard drive was factory installed and the second was added to the upgrade bay (where the DVD drive usualy is).

The issue is that every once in a while, and more encreasingly so lately, Windows 7 performs a chkdsk on boot. The checkdisk ends up finding hundreds of "orphanded" files each time it runs. After the checkdisk completes and Windows boots which sometimes takes almost an hour, the result is that some applications need to be reistalled to work correctly and some rescent data is missing.

As I said, I have 2 computers setup this way and both suffer from the chckdsk problem. We have another identical HP 8740w that is not setup for RAID, just plain AHCI and it does not have this problem.

As a troubleshooting step, today I updated Intel Matrix Storage driver on one of the problematic laptops from version 8.9.8.1005 to the latest version 10.1.0.1008 now called Intel Rapid Storage Technology. After the update, I rebooted several times and I haven't seen another chckdsk yet.

However, I am not convinced that issue is resolved. Can you tell me if the driver update that I performed should fix my issue?

I have handed off the computer back to the user for the time being and he will report any further problems to me.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Could Intel Matrix Storage be causing corruption on my Recovery RAID1 Volume?
          Stubi

You write "that Windows performs a check disk at boot". Normally this only happens if you did not shut down the system correctly. The drive has the status "dirty" then. So why does your system not shut down correctly? Just switched the power off and no correct shut down? Check the Event Log for other reasons.

Perhaps you should run chkdsk from within the OS to check if the disks are really clean. If you find errors check the S.M.A.R.T. data of your disks. You also could run a HD surface scan (HDTune for instance can do).

• 2. Re: Could Intel Matrix Storage be causing corruption on my Recovery RAID1 Volume?
            d13x

Thanks for the reply. I got the following from the event viewer. The problem started last week, january 3rd during system boot up.

This NTFS warning shows up 3 times without any prior error.

The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired.

30 minutes later, the NTFS errors shows up 3 times

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

the day after, the same NTFS error has repeated every 1 minute for a full day

followed every 5 minutes with this Service Control Manager Error:

"The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the stopped state.

The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the running state.

I am having the user run a manual chckdsk today to see if there are any futher issues with the disk. The user indicated that one he had to force shutdown the machine because Excel crashed and Windows wouldn't shutdown. Like I said, the other computer we have setup the same way also suffers from the dirty drive problem. Is a RAID setup more prone to getting dirty drives than a regular AHCI setup? At this point I doubt that both machines have bad drives but I will run the checks anyway as you mentioned.

• 3. Re: Could Intel Matrix Storage be causing corruption on my Recovery RAID1 Volume?
              d13x

I also just ran into this post:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036?start=510&tstart=0

I'm wondering if this could be related. We'll see soon enough I guess.

• 4. Re: Could Intel Matrix Storage be causing corruption on my Recovery RAID1 Volume?

Even with the new storage driver v10, users are getting dirty disks and forced chkdsk under normal circumstances.

I'm thinking of abandoning the Intel RAID setup altogether since it look like it is more effort than its worth...