2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2011 4:07 PM by Quual

Intel i7 Processor rate less than default

Skyrocketing

I have the i7 720 QM Processor for my computer along with 4 GB of RAM and a GeForce 230M Graphics Card. The 720QM is supposed to perform at 1.6GHz by default, and gradually raise to 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost if required. Well my main problem is that I need it to process at a higher rate so that my computer games can run smoothly. I have been playing World of Warcraft and while testing out my computers performance on the highest graphic settings, my processor performed at about 1.2-1.4GHz. This confuses me since I get an extremely low FPS during this (about 3-7) so I would think my computer would bump up its speed. Also, to achieve an FPS of 30 or more, I must play the game on the absolute lowest settings, which isn't great. Is there something I can do to make sure my i7 brings up its spped?

• 1. Re: Intel i7 Processor rate less than default

I am having the exact same problem.  I run the Intel Power Boost monitor while playing WoW and it does not turbo boost for intense gameplay.

i7-720qm with an ATI Radeon mobility HD 5870 that should handle the game with no issues.  Plase help.

Thank you,

• 2. Re: Intel i7 Processor rate less than default
            Quual

Skyrocketing

The problem is the GeForce 230M Graphics card which is roughly equal to a GeForce 9500 GT or in other words no where near powerfull enough to run WoW at max settings. The processor isn't running faster becuase there isn't a reason to, the game is bottlenecked by the graphics card.

You could try and reduce the screen resolution for better FPS.

Carl

The video card for your system is more powerfull, however its not powerfull enough to run at 1920x1080 with Max settings ? Maybe try 1680x1050 and Good settings