7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 12:30 PM by DuckieHo

Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD

gredhead

I'm having problems with a new system build, and have read the pdf's here and searched, but am not sure if the Asus P6T supports TRIM with the SSD, and if that may be an issue with my attempts to install Windows 7 ultra, which partially completes but hangs with a blank screen.  The BIOS and windows recognize the SSD, and if I boot from the Win 7 DVD and use recovery tools, I can see all 80gb are recognized, and some windows folders and files have been loaded.  The P6T has the intel X58 chipset (and ICHIOR)?

My questions -

does the P6T support TRIM?

should I pre partition the drive with Win 7 DVD cmd prompt diskpart?

I should mention that these questions come from some assistance I am getting at Anandtech - here

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2132033

thanks - gredhead

• 1. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
          DuckieHo

The P6T is an X58 motherboard with a ICH10R.  The ICH10R definitely supports TRIM.  I have the same mobo.

Is your mobo BIOS up-to-date?

Are you doing a fresh install of the OS?  At what part does it hang?

• 2. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
            gredhead

Well, thanks for responding, especially since you have the same mobo.  It was a fresh install, and seemed to be installing fine, but before asking for the registration number, etc, the screen just went black.  Not "no signal" on the monitor - just black.  I have changed the bios sata to AHCI, and am in the process of formating a usb drive and installing the intel AHCI drivers during install.

I came here to get more info on TRIM, etc, but had started an anandtech.com thread on this problem - here -

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=31053893&posted=1#post31053893

I am always amazed that people are willing to take their time to share knowledge and experience with strangers - thanks - gredhead

• 3. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
              DuckieHo

If the system goes black during registration screen, then it is probably not the SSD.  Data isn't being written to the SSD at this point... everything is in memory.  Could it be an overheating issue?

Does it consitently fail at the same point?

W7 native AHCI drivers should be fine for the install...

• 4. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
                gredhead

Its not black during registration (I think), it has installed almost everything, and the folders and files are all visible on the SSD with the restore tools from the win7 DVD.  I've gotten wrapped up trying to get the HP utility to format a USB memory stick, to put the Intel AHCI drivers on to load during the win7 install,now that I have changed the bios from IDE to AHCI for SATA.

(See my link in last message)

Based on your message here, I will try another install from scratch, with mobo bios set to AHCI, and letting win7 do what it will.  Stay tuned.

• 5. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
                  gredhead

Did this - booted from DVD, repair, use recovery tools, command prompt, format D: &4.4 gb total available (C is 100 mb express gate SSD on mobo)

restart, boot DVD, win is loading, (1:00 later) starting win, (another :25 later) blue/clouds screen, some disk access, (3:20 later) English/USA screen, install now, setup is starting, (4:45 later) license, agree, new install, [not disk 0 part 1, sys reserved 100 mb system] [yes disk 0 part 2 (p6t - label I gave on formating) 74.4 gb primary] - enter

(1:35 later) installing windows screen - goes through copying win files, expanding win files, installing features, installing update, completing installation

windows restarting

starting windows

setup is updating registry settings

(0:30 later) - completing installation

(0:55 later) - reboot, black screen (but signal to monitor, not "no signal")

some disk access off and on

(20:00 min later) no disk access, still black screen

enter, ctl-alt-del do nothing, no disk access

any ideas? - thanks - gredhead

PS - pretty sure no overheating, big case, lots of fans, and bios hw monitor shows resonable proc temp.

• 6. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
                    gredhead

Thanks for all your help.  SSD is fine.  Put geforce 8400 in and did fresh install of win7 to completion.  Shut down and put gtx 260 back in, booted, and win7 said it installed the drivers for gtx 260, needed to restart.  Restarted, and had black screen again.  Have new thread over at anandtrech to see if I can get help determining if its a problem with the drivers (need to install latest gtx260 drivers, vs what win7 puts in), my lack of understanding what you can and can't do with dual DVI connectors on video cards, or a bad gtx 260.

• 7. Re: Asus P6T Deluxe V2, Windows 7 Ultra x64, with X25-M 80 gb SSD
                      DuckieHo

Good to hear that your SSD is working fine.

Any recent driver should work and the DVI ports just output video.  Your issue is most likely due to a faulty GTX260.  The best way to test is throw the card into another system.