1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 3:57 PM by Curious592

Motherboard Mayhem

pammm

After 18 hours of pure frustration, I'd love it if someone could help me out with this one:

After putting together my new system last night, I would get a short beep inidicating post okay.  Immediately after I get the 2 long beep sequence with a status message of 5A on the board.  Nothing on video display.

I've done the following with no luck:

• Switched the memory from the blue slots to the black slots
      • Unplugged everything but the graphics card
      • Changed graphic card slot
      • Tried my old card in 2 different slots
      • Took the board out of the case and powered it up

Being out of options, I decided to connect my new graphics card AND my really old one.  Wallah, the bios screen popped up.  The cards will not run individually no matter what order they are in.  They run a display together in any pci slot order.  If I take either card away, I get the beeps with the 5A message on the motherboard.  I don't want to have to run with two cards as my old one is very noisy and I don't want to have to buy a 2nd card.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?  It would certainly feel good to not spend the next week and a half figuring this one out!

DP55KG Board

I5-760 processor

4g corsair xms3 ddr3 (2x2) 1333

Zotac 1G GT240 ddr5 graphics card

1 tb sata wd hd

sony blu ray dvd sata

430W ps

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
          Flying_Kiwi

Do you have a higher wattage PSU that you could try with it? Not all PSUs are created equal and sometimes a generic 430 Watt PSU may not be up to the task (especially if there's a high power graphics card fitted). Using the really old graphics card as well (really old PCI graphics cards often use a fraction of the power consumed by current ones) might be giving it an option to just use that card (and not power up the other one fully) hence you get something displayed. Another thing to check is that any additional power sockets which may be on the graphics card, are correctly connected (you'll need to refer to the graphics card manual).

• 2. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

Your system is capable of using two cards. Perhaps going back to the user's guide might help.

• 3. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
              Doc_SilverCreek

Wow, 2 replies that have nothing to do with the problem / question!

(Maybe 3 since I don't have a 100% answer either)

Since you are in to BIOS now with both video cards, I would make sure your running the most current BIOS code stack, then restore the system defaults (F9), Save & exit.

Then try your single video card again.

Very strange problem.

5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"  -- I am assuming unplugging everything included the HDD and Blue ray?

Tne TPS http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18129/eng/DP55KG_TechProdSpec.pdf list the POST code sequence on page 77 (assuming it has not changed in a BIOS update since the TPS was last updated)

EB Calling Video BIOS

58 Resetting USB bus

5A Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices

92 Detecting the presence of the keyboard

90 Resetting keyboard

94 Clearing keyboard input buffer

28 Testing memory

POST codes can be confusing as sometime they are displaied at the beining of a code segmemt and sometimes at the end.

So, hanging at 5A could be PATA\SATA device hung, Keyboard hung, or a memory error.

Adding 2 video cards is going to shift your memory map, so I would take a closer look at the memory.

As I said, very strange problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                pammm

I updated the bios, unplugged the SATA connections for my hd and my blu-ray, with the same result.  I'm not sure what my next step should be.  With the other card plugged in, I can boot to my hd, but still have to use 2 video cards to do so.

• 5. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

As what you have stated in one of your threads "read first" before asking for help.

• 6. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                    pammm

No, I don't have a higher PS to try off hand.  I might buy one to see if that helps. 

• 7. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                      Flying_Kiwi

Doc_SilverCreek wrote:

When you've had experience working as a computer technician and never seen faulty/underpowered PSUs causing such problems then feel free to claim my reply has nothing to do with the problem - in the meantime I have experience on my side.

PSU's are one of the biggest causes of PC problems around. They often fail causing mysterious problems which at first appear to be something else like a software or memory problem. This is not always the case though and I remember being called to a user experiecing problem with their workstation, only to find just as I arrived, that the PSU failed spectactulary with a loud bang and and some sparks out the back when it went to PSU heaven. Just because a PSU is new doesn't mean it's not faulty or more likely here, that it's not up to whats expected of it. I do not know all the answers (in fact I'm experiecing a problem with my DG45ID Dolby digital audio where I'm getting help from the community here) but I know there's a reasonable chance the PSU may be to blame for this motherboard mayhem - especially if it's a generic/inferior quality one.

It'd be worth the O/P contacting the supplier of the PSU and seeing if they have a higher powered top quality one that can be used to bench test the system with - on the condition that if it works, it's a sale.

• 8. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

Doc_SilverCreek wrote:

(Maybe 3 since I don't have a 100% answer either)

Since you are in to BIOS now with both video cards, I would make sure your running the most current BIOS code stack, then restore the system defaults (F9), Save & exit.

Then try your single video card again.

Very strange problem.

5A is "Resetting PATA/SATA bus and all devices"  -- I am assuming unplugging everything included the HDD and Blue ray?

Tne TPS http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18129/eng/DP55KG_TechProdSpec.pdf list the POST code sequence on page 77 (assuming it has not changed in a BIOS update since the TPS was last updated)

EB Calling Video BIOS

58 Resetting USB bus

92 Detecting the presence of the keyboard

90 Resetting keyboard

94 Clearing keyboard input buffer

28 Testing memory

POST codes can be confusing as sometime they are displaied at the beining of a code segmemt and sometimes at the end.

So, hanging at 5A could be PATA\SATA device hung, Keyboard hung, or a memory error.

Adding 2 video cards is going to shift your memory map, so I would take a closer look at the memory.

As I said, very strange problem.

5A is PATA/SATA bus and all devices according to your quote. But this has nothing to do with the solution to the presented problem. Practically spending useless time repeating what has been written in the manuals. By giiving points to this thread only confirms some conspiracy and the presenter's laziness to read the provided guide and technical manuals for the board.

• 9. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                          Doc_SilverCreek

Gee, Ok  I am sorry.

I must have misunderstood your comments about "430 Watt PSU may not be up to the task (especially if there's a high power graphics card fitted" and "fraction of the power consumed by current ones" .

Sure reads like you believe the power supply is overloaded and missed the point that the system only works with 2 video cards installed doubling the load. 

"Guest" comments are not worth going into. I wish everyone would read the TPS, the config guide and the entire web site devoted to the product before asking questions. I assume folks have or will if you point them in the correct direction and even if they don't, maybe the next person who is researching a similar issue will get a pointer in the right direction and never need to post the question.  There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

It is true I can't rule out the power supply and it does have a slight possibility of being the problem. 

Basic math on the components in his system says his system is drawing ~ 350W +/- so he should be in the ball park with a 430 watt power supply.

It is possible that one of the individual rails is over loaded in this configuration, however why would increasing the load resolve the issue? A second video card should make it worst.

Another possibility is that his power supply is under loaded on one rail causing the power supply fail to power on and assert power good, but if this was the case, the board would not be POSTing to 5A

A noise power supply can generate all kinds of problems, but rarely consistance ones or ones that get better by increasing the load.

Power sequencing of the power from the power supply is a possibility.

Motherboard expect the power to ramp up in a certain order within an certain time frame as defined in the SIG specifications. Changing the power supply loading by adding a second video card could cause significant shifts in the power up sequence, hence it could be a power supply and trying a different one if he had one on hand is not a bad test since most folks do not have a oscilloscope to check the sequencing.

I would still favor memory or BIOS issue here, but I can't rule out a PS sequencing issues either.

There is also the option of just leaving the 2 video cards installed and only use the new one rathar than spending $50 to $100 on a new one as a test.    

I guess experience is relative, Me, I have only been doing this for 28 years.

• 10. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

28 years is really not a qualification and does not give you the right to just bully anybody in this community. Besides these technology do not exist 28 nyears ago. That is why 28 years is nothing.

• 11. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                              Doc_SilverCreek

I guess that is why you do not take advice from someone who signs in a Guest?

Bullying?   You mean like "Your system is capable of using two cards. Perhaps going back to the user's guide might help"

I am sure Pammm found that to be a helpful comment.  -- NOT

Perhaps if you had been born 28 years ago, you might know? I started working on computers featuring the Intel 8080 processor in 1975 which was over 28 years ago, but I didn't get paid for it till 1980 when I graduated from college in Digital Electronics. ( Yea, they had Colleges way back then in the dark ages even if there was no such thing as a Computer Science major.)  Currently, I am a senior hardware engineer (you know, one of the guys who designs the computers, though not likely one your using since I work in high end systems). So yes, I do know more than the average guy about computers.

Pammm problem is perplexing to try to root cause remotely.

The POST code is not specific but indicates a place in the BIOS where the system is hung.

If it is the first 5A, it could be a bus hang on the SATA bus (or a SATA device if they had not been eliminated by removing them) Nothing which is more than loosely related to system loading or video.

If it is the Detecting the presence of the keyboard, it is a don't care since this system will run with or without a keyboard.

Now if it is hanging at the second 5A it could be the SATA bus or the memory testing.

Memory is a real possibility. 1st off ; DIMM failure out of box is about 700% more likely to occur than a power supply failure out of box. (DIMMS are #2 after operator error. Power Supply is down around 5 on the top hitters list)

If this system has an option to test all memory locations in BIOS set-up, it would be a good test with both the video cards install so you can see it.

Otherwise, try a memory test tool like Burn-in to stress the memory with both video cards.

Adding a second video card will result is a remap the memory I/O space which again relates to memory usage and /or BIOS configurations.

and yes, a power sequencing issue in the power supply might manifest as a SATA bus hang so Flying_Kiwi could be correct in PS issue also.

So, bottom line I don't think my recommendation has changed.

1) Get it running even if it takes 2 video cards and update the BIOS code to the most current.

2) Restore defaults in BIOS set up to clear any cmos table miss alignments.

3) Check the memory against the supported list then run a memory test to confirm all the memory is Good

4) With the minimum amount of accessorires attached, try

Swapping with know good hardware

Try different Video cards (done)

Try different memory

Try a different power supply

Try different mother board.

More than this and your going to need a computer lab.

In-target probe would tell an engineer the problem is minutes (after a hour or so of getting it hooked up), but not many folks happen to have one of these use full tools sitting around so for end user debug, the swapping approach is the best you can do.

In case your wondering, the top causes of a new board failing to complete POST

#1 operator assemble error or damage

#2 memory

#3 BIOS / compatibility / config error

#4 add in cards \ compatability

#5 power supply

#6 mother board

#7 Processor  / Thermal

Good Luck Pammm

• 12. Re: Motherboard Mayhem
                                parsec

Well, if 28 years of time and experience is nothing, then what does the 28 seconds of time it took to enter your post equate to?

Regarding bullying, IMO your comments serve only as bullying, and are otherwise worthless.

But by all means, enjoy!

• 13. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

Parsec wrote:
                                  Well, if 28 years of time and experience is nothing, then what does the 28 seconds of time it took to enter your post equate to?
                                  Regarding bullying, IMO your comments serve only as bullying, and are otherwise worthless.
                                  But by all means, enjoy!

and what do you call this?

Doc_SilverCreek wrote:

• 14. Re: Motherboard Mayhem

Doc_SilverCreek wrote:
                                    I guess that is why you do not take advice from someone who signs in a Guest?

Not asking for your advice. But responding to the thread.

Doc_SilverCreek wrote:
                                    I started working on computers featuring the Intel 8080 processor in 1975 which was over 28 years ago,
                                    but I didn't get paid for it till 1980 when I graduated from college in Digital Electronics.
                                    ( Yea, they had Colleges way back then in the dark ages even if there was no such thing as a Computer
                                    Science major.)  Currently, I am a senior hardware engineer (you know, one of the guys who designs the
                                    computers, though not likely one your using since I work in high end systems). So yes, I do know more
                                    than the average guy about computers.

Soumds like your applying for a job! Are you lost?

I dont see in Intel's rules and regulations that you have to bully reponders to threads and then introduce your credentials.
                                    If your credentials are true why quote from Intel's publish manual? What a shame!

1 2 Previous Next