9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 4:45 AM by Flying_Kiwi

pc freezes up randomly

sturmer

hi everyone,

my problem is the continuation of 2010.

i have a pc wich i configured myself. now all these parts are brand new. i just use my old case.

the problem lays here, since i installed everything on and in my pc (i asked the shop to install the processor to the board, too delicate for me). it freezes up at random times up to 10-15 times a day.
      you can do the math of rebooting the pc yourself if you know that this problem occurs from octobre.

im at the end of my latin here, ill number up the solutions i already tried.

1) i formatted the pc more then 20 times already (no lies), the pc  refuses to install XP, so i use Windows 7 home premium 64 bit instead.

2) the pc went back to the shop, they tried everything they could by  replacing and testing every single part of hardware. they recognize that  there is a problem but they couldnt solve it. they stress tested and  benchmarked the pc and all but they stand powerless. its a problem for the  books they said.

3) i updated every single piece of software from BIOS till Windows. all drivers are up to date.

i used software CPUID monitor to keep an eye on the temperatures but they are normal, i did a memory test aswell and i came back with zero errors and warnings.

Ive posted this topic in several forums and they tried what they could but it came all to the same conclusion: it could be a faulty motherboard.

what do you guys think? if it is a faulty motherboard then im gonna send it back and ask for a new one. (all the parts are still warantied)

i sincerly hope that you guys could provide me with a solution, im  really fed up with this built and it costed me allot of money and i  couldnt enjoy it once.
      its comming so close that i want to smash it up and throw it out of the window.

my built is:
      - motherboard: Intel dx58s0 Extreme
      - processor: Intel I7 950
      - graphicscard: Nvidia Geforce GTS250 2gb
      - memory: 2 x 2GB ddr3 (Kingston)
      - hdd: 1TB hdd
      - power: 1000W powersupply
      - 5 fans for the heat.

sincerly sturmer

ps: if you need more info plz lett me know

• 1. Re: pc freezes up randomly
          Boyet

An intermittent problem is always difficult to solve as what you have experience. What troubleshooting procedure had been done on it to avoid repetition?

• 2. Re: pc freezes up randomly
            Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Does it say anything at all in teh windows log?

• 3. Re: pc freezes up randomly
              sturmer

well there is lays the problem, we tried as good as everything but the problem keeps comming. from reformatting the pc (start from scratch) till replacing parts and the only thing to my recognition that wasnt replaced is the motherboard.

• 4. Re: pc freezes up randomly
                sturmer

no, it doesnt mention anything about the freezes.

• 5. Re: pc freezes up randomly
                  Flying_Kiwi

sturmer wrote:

2) the pc went back to the shop, they tried everything they could by  replacing and testing every single part of hardware. they recognize that  there is a problem but they couldnt solve it. they stress tested and  benchmarked the pc and all but they stand powerless. its a problem for the  books they said.

NOT a helpfull computer shop. Are you using a UPS to power this computer? Do you have reliable and stable mains power where you live? Computers can be very sensitive to power supply fluctuations. What sort of airflow system is incorporated within the case. Saying there are 5 fans installed isn't much use if they're all sucking air in (or blowing it out). Is there any possibility the problem is heat related and do the lock-ups only occur after the PC has been running for a while or can you get them straight after cold booting into windows? Freezing problems (although often appearing to be so) usually aren't totally random and digging deeper can help whittle down the likely culprits. If your computer shop gives up and doesn't offer a solution, I'd find a better one!

One other thing, have you gone into the BIOS and selected the 'Load default settings' option and saved that? I'm not really familiar with that motherboard but if there are stability issues it's important to make sure everything is running at the correct speeds/voltages/settings as much as possible, to begin with.

• 6. Re: pc freezes up randomly

Don't you think these computer have not done what you have suggested?

• 7. Re: pc freezes up randomly
                      sturmer

what do you mean with UPS? and yes, i have a nice and stable powersupply here.

2 fans are sucking air and the other 3 are blowing out hot air. i really doubt that it is heat related, the pc freezes up totally random. from the moment that even the logo of windows is loading to some ours after boot up and when in use, it even occurs that i can use my pc a whole day without the freezes. there isnt any kind a pattern in there.

the shop did what they could, my pc went in there for 10 days. i go there for years and they have never lett me down.

as for the BIOS, the shop tested all settings and it keeps freezing. its all back on standard now.

if you now where i could find the best possible settings plz send me a link or some sort cause now its just running on the standard setting and maybe that is just to low or something.

im looking in the dark here aswell.

• 8. Re: pc freezes up randomly
                        Boyet

I'd like to make a recommendation: Run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool. It is supposed to help diagnose freezing condition. Just tried it and got an error. But I was able to correct the problem. It is indeed a memory error occuring.

• 9. Re: pc freezes up randomly
                          Flying_Kiwi

sturmer wrote:

what do you mean with UPS? and yes, i have a nice and stable powersupply here.

UPS stands for Uniterruptable Power Supply. They contain a battery (or several, depending on the scale) and they generally take over and power the system when there are brown-outs (voltage dips excessively) or the mains fluctuates outside of set criteria. They're also very handy if you're going to be flashing firmware etc because you don't have to worry about a powercut mid-flash killing your hardware.

I appreciate your comments about having dealt with the shop a long time and that you believe they've really tried their hardest but honestly, if they had tried changing every component (as they claim to have done), the problem must have gone away at some stage - maybe they weren't observant enough to notice the difference given it's an intermittant fault? I'm not trying to have a go at them but think about it, if they really had changed every component and tested it, why would the problem remain?

This reminds me of a problem I once had with a Tyan Server motherboard. I got a tiny amount of metalic compound CPU paste on a memory socket and it caused 'random' lock-ups. Fortunately I was able to clean it all off with a cotton bud and contact cleaner and the system went back to running properly. If the PC does lock up immediately after a cold start (note that this is different to booting the PC just after it's been shut off as it may still be hot/warm) then heat is unlikely a cause (unless it's something like a loose/dislodged CPU cooler but then the shop should have found that).

I think some more part swapping (with known good components) and testing (thoroughly) would get to the bottom of things - hence my suggestion to try another shop who should have the equipment to do this. If it's only a very occasional problem though, it may be difficult to get to the bottom of things.