7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 3:33 PM by Boyet

CMOS Battery

ssbalu

Hi

i m facing problem with CMOS battery....when i switch on my computer it says 'CMOS time not setup' even after i change the CMOS battery....

is there any one to resolve this issue

• 1. Re: CMOS Battery
          Boyet

One way is to go to the bios and change the time and date. Another is to right click the date/time in the taskbar and selecting the set the date/time option.

• 2. Re: CMOS Battery

Thanks for your suggestion......

but i tried updating the date and time every time i boot my system the way you have mentioned(in bios method and in taskbar method)......i couldn't find out what really is the problem is.......

• 3. Re: CMOS Battery

Please have it checked with a technician; below mentioned are the possibilities
              1)     Clear the event log and change the battery
              2)     Check the grounding – it should be less than 5V
              3)     Change the Power supply 
              4)      it can be due to socket got damaged also

• 4. Re: CMOS Battery

Thanks for your valuable information

• 5. Re: CMOS Battery
                  Boyet

Try going to your bios and jot down all custom settings that you have made. Shut down the computer. Remove power. Open the case and remove the CMOS battery. Check the voltage with a voltmeter. It should be more or less 3.3 V. Put back if checked ok. Restore power. Boot up to bios and press F9 to put settings to default. Then manually set the bios according to your notes made earlier. Set the time and date. Save and exit.

• 6. Re: CMOS Battery
                    kuyatsushiro6

The battery type is a CR2015, so that is the replacement battery. (FYI- it is lithium).

• 7. Re: CMOS Battery
                      Boyet

hasHi  Kuyatsushiro6,

The battery had been replaced. See 1st thread. I am suggesting that the replacement be checked and see if it is a good one. That is just double checking. FYI the author have a problem of date/time setting due to the orignal battery being defective and has remain even after the replacement.