1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 10:35 PM by alexpopo

BIOS Update Problem

alexpopo

Hi.

I tried updating the BIOS on an old computer.  It has an Intel D915GUX Desktop Board in it.  When I tried to use the BIOS from the Intel site, it gave me a BIOS mismatch error.  The BIOS version on the computer is SE91510J.15A.  The version on the Intel site is EV91510A.86A.  So I searched online and got a newer SE91510J.15A BIOS update.  That flashed fine, however, now I am unable to boot into Windows.  It goes through BIOS, then tries to boot, but all I get is a bunch of crazy characters on the screen and a blinking cursor.

Can someone please help me because I have no idea what else to try now?

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: BIOS Update Problem
          Boyet

After a bios update the bios is set into default. Perhaps you have to go in and make the necessary changes based on your hardware. If this will not solve your problem you have to go back to that old bios of yours. Better find a copy of that old bios.

• 2. Re: BIOS Update Problem
            alexpopo

Is there a way to flash the BIOS to the actual Intel provided file?

• 3. Re: BIOS Update Problem
              Flying_Kiwi

Does the Intel Board ID tool (downloadable on the same page the latest BIOS can be found) recognise your motherboard as Intel original - perhaps you have an OEM board which although similar to the Intel retail D915GUX, may have some variations necessitating an OEM BIOS?

Edit - as well as the need already mentioned to reset your BIOS settings after flashing, you may also need to find the actual supplier who used that BIOS originally on the board and get the latest from their website (rather than just googleing for one from whereever).

• 4. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                Boyet

Your system is one of those that are labeled as discontinued. I did look it up and the only bios provided begins with EVxxxxxxx. So I guess you have to google the old bios number and see if you can get it. 

• 5. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                  Flying_Kiwi

Boyet wrote:

Your system is one of those that are labeled as discontinued. I did look it up and the only bios provided begins with EVxxxxxxx. So I guess you have to google the old bios number and see if you can get it.

We still need to know the O/Ps response to what the Intel Board ID tool throws up. Putting that original BIOS name into Google comes up with lots of Gateway references so I'd go looking on their site for the latest BIOS to suit their (not Intels) motherboard with this model number. It's very important that BIOS flash files come from trusted/official websites because any corruption of the file can result in a dead motherboard.

• 6. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                    Boyet

I think that we have no question thqt the bios should come from Intel. However, as what my finding told me and the original thread had stated you cannot find the bios that starts with Sxxxxxxxxx but only the oness that begin with EVxxxxxxxxxx. In the orginal thread it indicated the orginal bios version number. So it is my suggestion that it should be put back to restore the system back to its orignal condition. Take not it is not compulsory but only a suggestion. So if you have another solution please give it to the author of the thread.

• 7. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                      alexpopo

I did not run the Intel Board ID tool as I did not see it until after I tried the BIOS flash.  That would have definitely been a good idea.  It does not appear that I can make the utility bootable, right?  I did notice that it comes up with Gateway when searching.  However, this was a computer that was probably self-built, so I am not sure where the motherboard came from.  It is not a Gateway.  I will try the file straight from the Gateway site, although it appears to have the same name as the file I downloaded.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• 8. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                        Flying_Kiwi

Even if it's the same name, it still pays to get it from a trusted source where it won't have been interfered with. Just because the PC was self built, does not mean an OEM board can't have been used. I forgot about the fact your PC isn't currently booting into Windows so I suspect you can't run the Board ID tool - duh sorry 'bout that

I note however that the Intel tool download page reads it's 'OS independant' so there's no harm in trying to run it on a DOS boot thumb drive - I've never tried that myself so can't say if it'll work. I do think it's fairly safe to assume you have a non-retail (ie OEM) board though. Perhaps a thorough inspection of the board will reveal stickers etc with Gateway branding? How did the 'load defaults' option in the BIOS settings go for getting it working again?

• 9. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                          alexpopo

Hi.  So I downloaded the BIOS update from Gateway.  However, all they have is a .exe version that you have to run from Windows.  So I am not sure how to get around this.  I also tried the 'Load Defaults' option as you suggested and that did not work either.  The crazy characters were gone from the screen, but it was just stuck with a cursor blinking in the upper left.  I will try the DOS boot thumb drive with the Board Tool in the next few days and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again for all the help.

• 11. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                            Boyet

In the first thread the bios needed for upgrade/downgrade starts with SExxxxxxxx. But what is given in Intel's website starts with EVxxxxxxxxx.

• 12. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                              Flying_Kiwi

alexpopo wrote:

Hi.  So I downloaded the BIOS update from Gateway.  However, all they have is a .exe version that you have to run from Windows.

Are you sure it can't be run from DOS or that there isn't a DOS version as well? I tried (briefly) searching on the Gateway website for the motherboard model but came up with no results. It also wanted a machine number and wasn't very open as far as browsing for downloads was concerned. Does the motherboards BIOS setup page show the hard disk has been correctly detected? Your idea to use a USB DOS boot is good. A flashing cursor after post is what sone motherboards give if they cant find a boot partition on the Hard disk so it you have another hard disk which you can try on the board (and try a fresh install on) then that may allow you to get up and running. You could then try installing the original drive you have now as a secondary (non-bootable) drive and copying any data you need saved onto the other drive. Otherwise you could just try popping in the OS CDROM/DVD and booting from that as if you're going to perform a fresh install and see if this correctly detects the hard drive. I hope that you backed up all your valuable data before trying to upgrade the BIOS originally - that's always good practice.

• 13. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                                alexpopo

I found it on Gateway's site by searching for the BIOS version SE91510J.15A.  Here is the link where I downloaded it:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20628&dscr=South%20Lake,%20South%20Lake%202,%20South%20Lake%203,%20and%20Luxemburg%20Motherboard%20BIOS%20Update%20Revision:%20SE91510J.15A.2609&uid=292216

In the "How to Install" readme, it only talks about running from Windows.

The BIOS does recognize the hard drive correctly.  I also booted from the Windows disk and it recognizes the Windows partition as well.  Luckily, there was nothing of importance on the drive, so getting data off of it is not necessary.

I will be trying the USB DOS boot option this weekend and will let you know what happens.

What do you think about the links that eldhopaul suggested?  If I take out the jumper on the motherboard, can I install the Intel version of the BIOS even though it is a different version than the current BIOS?

• 14. Re: BIOS Update Problem
                                  Flying_Kiwi

alexpopo wrote:

If I take out the jumper on the motherboard, can I install the Intel version of the BIOS even though it is a different version than the current BIOS?

It's different for a reason and if you try installing the Intel original BIOS you may well trash the motherboard (if you do manage to get the installer to run). There's nothing inferior about an OEM BIOS - leave it as it is! If you have nothing of value on the HDD, you could just reinstal windows or try a repair from the installation DVD.

1 2 Previous Next