13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 6:18 PM by Curious592

I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...

General_Lee86

For some reason my system will shut down and keep running after windows has shut down with the power LED and inside lights and fans still running and I have to push the power button in to shut it down but it only does it every 3-5 shut downs? Please help me Thanks a lot!

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00ghz

500 gig HDD

2 1 Gig PNY 6400 800mhz Sticks

HIS Turbo 4+ 4870 Graphics Card

Corsair HX620 PSU

Hauppauge 1850 TV Tuner

Zalman CF900 CPU Cooler

Ihes Blu Ray reader with multi DVD burner

• 1. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
          General_Lee86

Please help me find if it is a board problem or what Thank You.

• 2. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
            Boyet

Suggestion:

So that the community will be able to properly help you please give the specifics of the following:

1. OS: windows - What specific windows?

2. Motherboard model number

3. Processor specific model

• 3. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
              General_Lee86

It has Windows Vista 64bit and the rest is in the first post

• 4. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                Flying_Kiwi

Do you have the latest BIOS revision installed on the board (0131)? What happens if (for testing purposes) you run the PC with the graphics card/TV card removed and just using onboard graphics? If that's fine, then I'd be contacting the graphics card manufacturer (or TV card manufacturer) to see if they have a firmware update for the card to address this issue. Such matters are commonly addressed with firmware updates and the exact cause can be very tricky to isolate as it can be caused by specific combinations where if any one factor is different, the problem wont occur. I've experienced similar problems with a totally different motherboard in the past and a different PSU elliminated the problem.

• 5. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                  General_Lee86

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

Do you have the latest BIOS revision installed on the board (0131)? What happens if (for testing purposes) you run the PC with the graphics card/TV card removed and just using onboard graphics? If that's fine, then I'd be contacting the graphics card manufacturer (or TV card manufacturer) to see if they have a firmware update for the card to address this issue. Such matters are commonly addressed with firmware updates and the exact cause can be very tricky to isolate as it can be caused by specific combinations where if any one factor is different, the problem wont occur. I've experienced similar problems with a totally different motherboard in the past and a different PSU elliminated the problem.

I do and I think it is the BIOS though because I noticed it kind of started after I tried to change the bios splash screen with the Intel integrator and the other Intel programs you can use to try and change the BIOS and BIOS Splash screen and I did a BIOS Restore and it seems to be working better now and know it doesn't hesitate before the bios splash screen come on after I hit the power button and doesn't make the fans rev up and down on restart either now and I 'll keep shutting it down and restarting it a few more times to see if it is truly solved or not and Thanks a lot for the help I greatly appreciate it.

• 6. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                    Flying_Kiwi

So just to summarise, what changes have you made since starting this thread - sorry but I'm unsure? Was it the BIOS restore? A general rule of thumb is if you experience ANY problems after making any customisations, try removing the customisations and see if the problem goes away.

• 7. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                      General_Lee86

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

So just to summarise, what changes have you made since starting this thread - sorry but I'm unsure? Was it the BIOS restore? A general rule of thumb is if you experience ANY problems after making any customisations, try removing the customisations and see if the problem goes away.

yes just a Bios Restore so far

• 8. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                        Flying_Kiwi

Then you can try stripping the PC back to basics for testing purposes and remove any non-essential hardware. This includes things like TV cards and on PCs equipped with onboard sound/graphics any separate cards offering the same (note that you may want to Load defaults in the BIOS before you power off and remove any non-essential hardware). With the E8400 CPU you MAY need to disable CPU C-States as well if you're getting fans speed fluctuations and the problem you describe when selecting power off (as opposed to reboot). It's a known issue with recent BIOS versions for this board and certain CPUs and I too have experienced this. How does this configuration go?

• 9. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                          Curious592

I haven't confirmed a problem for this but I have noticed that my reset button can remain partially pressed after use.  That is about the only drawback I have found for the Antec 502 case.

• 10. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                            Flying_Kiwi

Curious592 wrote:

I haven't confirmed a problem for this

The issue referred to afflicts certain combinations of hardware (especially the faster/newer dual core CPUs) so if you're fortunate enough to not have the combination of hardware, you won't get the problem. I await the O/Ps response and I hope if disabling C-states works around the problem, the O/P still reports the problem to Intel expecting a full solution (and not just to keep using the workaround which won't give full powersaving capabilities).

• 11. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                              Curious592

I was referring to a specific problem of multiple restarts required to correct USB changes.  The button seemed to be depressed each time but I haven't seen the issue again to confirm since I haven't used a USB stick again and I take care with the button.  Another issue with the 502 case seems to be that mounting of other coolers looks like a nightmare since the cutout seems too small.

The problem here may quite well be the Integrator toolkit use.  I am busy enough myself trying to obtain full Windows compatibility without dealing with timing of hardware startup.  I do note he hasn't mentioned a fan issue with the Zalman fan.  The default EIST BIOS setting mentioned elsewhere is something I hadn't been thinking about for the 8400 cpu.

• 12. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                                Flying_Kiwi

If you mention you haven't encountered THIS (as a reply to the O/P) it is normally inferred that relates in some way to what the O/P has posted. In this case the O/P has made no mention of the different issue you brought up (why you brought it up I'll never understand as this was clearly not the problem).  As already mentioned, the O/Ps problem occurs with certain hardware combinations so if you don't have one of those combinations, you will be fortunate and not encounter the problem. I can comment from personal experience and that's what I've based the workaround on.

• 13. Re: I have a DG45ID Motherboard with...
                                  Curious592

Sorry I did not intend to do the Groucho Marx why the elephant was in my pajamas routine.  The sentence was self consistent as stated.  If a short might develop erratically, the cycle could persist.  That is not a "workaround" but my attention might not have been warranted, as you stated.