Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000PSL - No Post / No Video

idata
Employee

BIOS S5000.86B.10.00.0084.101720071530

2x1GB Kingston PC2/5300F (KVR667D2D8F5/1GI)

1xIntel Xeon E5335

Machine had been working fine until a week ago. It went unresponsive while running (video blanked out, network dropped), and upon reboot would not post and displayed no video. If I remove all RAM, the board emits 3 beeps, which seems to indicate the processor/BMC are fine. With the RAM in, the board appears to get caught in an initialization loop, as indicated by the LED post codes. The LED post code sequence looks to be:

1) off off red green

2) red off red red

3) off off off amber

4) red amber red off

5) off off red green

6) red off red red

7) repeat 3-6 (each loop through this sequence is accompanied by a click/pop from the motherboard; system status LED shows green)

There appear to be intermediate sequences, but I have not been able to reliably discern them, even by taking a video and replaying/pausing; the codes I think I see are not listed in the POST code table in the documentation.

Things I have tried that have yielded no results:

- Removing all peripherals and booting with only memory/CPU intact

- Two new / different power supplies.

- New RAM - 1x2GB Kingston PC2/5300F (KVR667D2D8F5/1GI).

- Using a PCIe video card instead of onboard video.

- Clearing CMOS in combination with the above.

- Selecting secondary BIOS bank.

I am at a loss. Any ideas on where to go from here (short of a complete rebuild) would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Red Off Red Red is "Resetting fixed media device" - see the TPS, page 91 (102 of 112) at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/CS-022619.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/CS-022619.htm

When you tried removing all peripherals, did you also try unplugging the HDs and CDROM?

idata
Employee

Yes, this included unplugging all disks / optical drives / expansion cards (1 IDE HDD, 1 IDE optical drive, 1 RAID card w/3 attached SATA drives). The LED code sequence is the same however, whether the drives are present or not.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

You could also try going down to just one processor and one DIMM, if you haven't already. But that's as bare as I can think of stripping it.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

You could try clearing CMOS

and then the force BIOS bank jumper to roll over to the back up image.

Low chanc of either working since it died while in opperation, but these would be the next most likly after the other things you have done already.

0 Kudos
YANMING_H_Intel
Employee

You could try to recovery your BIOS since your problme looks like BIOS crash.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

(that is what I said. The S5000PSL uses rolling BIOS so the oly NBios recovery is to use the BIOS bank jumper to force the BIOS to the back-up bank)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Did you get this solved ? am having almost the same problem and did what you did but still "dead" board

Any helped would be appreciated.

Dave.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same issues. Has anyone had any luck?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same issue, a few days the server automtically resets without previous warnings, the system comes slow, and today finally the same lie aschorer

1) off off red green

2) red off red red

3) off off off amber

4) red amber red off

5) off off red green

6) red off red red

7) repeat 3-6 (each loop through this sequence is accompanied by a click/pop from the motherboard; system status LED shows green)

The board is dead, maybe someone know how solve this issue?

Rony

0 Kudos
kbode
Beginner

I have this EXACT same problem. same circumstances, no post. Any ideas, different CPU perhaps? Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
CoryJ_K_Intel
Employee

Because I think this question will get more attention in the Server Tech Support Forum, I have moved this discussion to /message/164133# 164133 http://communities.intel.com/message/164133# 164133 .

Thanks,

- Cory

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Aschorer,

As far as I know, if you don't hear beeps when you power on the system, then remove RAM and hear 3 beeps, this means the memory needs to be verified. See if you can run Memtest86+ against your memory. Or, you could power on the system with minimum RAM and rotate through the DIMMS until you find working or faulty DIMMS.

Jason

0 Kudos