Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Is a Core2 Quad Q8300 2.5 GHz a higher spec than a Pentium D 3.2 GHz ?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I've just seen a recent discussion on a similar topic so thought that I would see if anyone could help me out of a bit of a hole that I have gotten myself into. I purchased a Blu-Ray Rewriter as a Christmas present for my wife but am not now sure if it is compatible with her desktop. The desktop was purchased in early 2010 and has an Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 2.5 GHz processor. The system requirements for the Blu-Ray Rewriter state that it needs an Intel Pentium D 3.2 GHz as a minimum (they recommend a Core2 Duo E6600 or higher). Can anyone tell me if the processor in her desktop meets either the minimum or recommended requirement ? Is it just a case of comparing the clock speeds or is there a lot more to it ?

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Your wife's new PC with the Q8300 is completely compatible the the BD RRW drive, as you said, there's a lot more to it than just comparing the clock speeds. The Q8300 CPU will outperform that Pentium D and the Core 2 Duo E6600 in any benchmark testing. BTW, the E6600's clock speed is 2.4GHz.

The capabilities of the CPU is not the only factor that allows a PC to be Blu-Ray Disk compatible, the video/graphics system of the PC must be up to the task as well. Given that the PC in question is new, it is quite likely it will be able to play BD media, but that is not a given.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Well the Pent. D is a dual core and the Q8300 is a quad core so I would say the Q8300 would be way beter than the Pent. D . Besides the Q8300 can run a 1333 FSB which means a RAM upgrade might be in order?

idata
Employee

Your wife's new PC with the Q8300 is completely compatible the the BD RRW drive, as you said, there's a lot more to it than just comparing the clock speeds. The Q8300 CPU will outperform that Pentium D and the Core 2 Duo E6600 in any benchmark testing. BTW, the E6600's clock speed is 2.4GHz.

The capabilities of the CPU is not the only factor that allows a PC to be Blu-Ray Disk compatible, the video/graphics system of the PC must be up to the task as well. Given that the PC in question is new, it is quite likely it will be able to play BD media, but that is not a given.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your helpful response. After one or two small teething problems, unrelated to the processor, we have now managed to get the Blu-Ray Rewriter working. The CyberLink software with the Rewriter also included a handy tool that allowed you to assess whether your computer was BD ready or not.

0 Kudos