11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 6:27 PM by jayoub1

Updating firmware

jayoub1

When i try to update my BIOS and firmware to the 12/15/2010 version i get a message saying that the BIOS is not compatible with this update.  The motherboard is S3420GP and the update is S3420GPLX/LC Firmware Update Package for IDA, EFI*, OFU & WinP with a date of 12/15/2010

I am using the flashupdt utility because using the bootable disk did not work.

my bios version ends with a 0025

Please let me know

Thank

Jeff

• 1. Re: Updating firmware
          Doc_SilverCreek

I believe eather your doing in wrong or you have the wrong update package?

The S3420GP comes in 4 flavors

LC

LX

RX

V

Since you tried the LX\LC package and it did not work, I am guessing your board is a RX or a V version. Both of which have their own update package.

But you also talk about a bootable disk, which there is not in the package. It is EFI which is booted from BIOS set-up or WinPE \ OFU.

OFU could use the flashupdt.exe as long as the Intel IPMI drivers are installed and loaded per the OFU instructions. (more work than it is worth for most folks)

I would recommend

• Extracting the S3420GPLX/LC Firmware Update Package for IDA, EFI*, OFU & WinPE to the root directory of a USB keyfob.
          • Boot system and press F2 to enter BIOS set-up
          • Arrow over to the Boot manager and select EFI
          • The system should find your USB fob (most likly as FS0: and automatily run the startup.nsh which will update the code stack.

If this runs the flash update but can not update your system, try the other 2 packages since It would then appear your board is other than a LX or LC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updating firmware
            jayoub1

Thanks for your help.  I have always used HP or Dell in the past and have never had so much trouble setting up a server.  It must be that i am not that experienced with this board.

Anyway,

On the board it says "S3420GP" only, but on the documentation it says S3420GPLX.  So please let me know what i should look for

The bootable disk that i am talking about is the Deployment assistant.  When you boot with it there is a section for updating and you have three options and they are using the web (www.intel.com), browsing to a network share, or accessing the update from a USB devices.  I tried the internet and the USB options and they did not work.  The internet option kept saying that the server could not be found.  I tried static and DHCP and still no luck.  Ok so i try using the USB device.  I copy the update to the USB put it in the computer and click browse and it says there is no USB device installed please try again in 5 seconds.  I am using a regular 4GB usb that i just purchased from the store.

With that said i found out that we could use the flashupdt utility.  So i downloaded and ran it (i guess installing the drivers) and got the thing to work, but stupid me used an older firmware package (09/20/2009) and it brought the firmware back to a older version.

I would like to follow your recommendation and understand it, but have a few questions.

A: If i have the correct update package will the Flashupdt utility work.  I figured it out and it worked nice. 

B: If the package i use does not work should i just keep trying until one of them works

If i use your recommedation

A: Is the USB Key FOB that you mention a regular USB memory stick that we purchase or is there something special that we have to use and must it be bootable.

B: What package should i use to update (or just keep trying until one works)

C: At what point should i plug in the USB device since having plugged in while the server is booting causes the server to hang.

Also, why cant i use the Deployment assistant to update the firmware. Is it supposed to do this job or am i mis understanding.

Please help

Thanks

Jeff

• 3. Re: Updating firmware
              jayoub1

Please any help would be appreciated.

• 4. Re: Updating firmware
                Doc_SilverCreek

I hate to say it, but I have never tried the Deployment assistant, but Intel runs all the tools through validation test on each code release so suspect it should work fine.

I favor the EFI boot and loading from USB. Mainly because I am old school and get nervous about updating the boards BIOS while some OS thinks it is time to run AV checking or some other task.

The Board family is S3420GP. That family contains 4 version of the mother board and for some reason I have yet to figure out, they POST the code in 3 different packages. (a single code package would be easier, but I guess they though the download would be too large.)

FLASHUPDT is part of the OFU (one flash update) utility and should work fine. It is basically a small executable that calls the other flash tools that come with the update package. (Iflash32, fwpiaupd, FRUSDR)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19604&lang=eng  S3420GPLX/LC package

A: If i have the correct update package will the Flashupdt utility work.  I figured it out and it worked nice.

YES. The only issue I have ever heard of was a conflict loading the IPMI driver. Once all the drivers are installed, it flys.

B: If the package i use does not work should i just keep trying until one of them works

That is likely the fastest way to confirm your model. The System Information tab should list the mother board part number (or you can check the number on the board also. This link takes you to the boards homepage specifications http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Motherboards/S3420GP/S3420GP-specifications.htm which can also be used to ID the board based on the slots on the board.

i.e

a S3420GPV only has 4 DIMM slots were all the others have 6 DIMM slots

an RX only has 1 PCIe slot

If it has more than 1 PCIe slot and 6 dimms it is a LC or LX.

If i use your recommendation

A: Is the USB Key FOB that you mention a regular USB memory stick that we purchase or is there something special that we have to use and must it be bootable.

Any FAT formated USB stick should work. It does not have to be bootable. The system is booting to the embedded EFI (os? not sure it is really an OS, but it is more than a shell) EFI is kind of a cross between DOS and Linux with raw BIOS access added.

B: What package should i use to update (or just keep trying until one works)

The package at the link above should work based on what you told me about your board. If not

LX \ LC package    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3146&DwnldID=19604&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Board+S3420GPeng

V package http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3146&DwnldID=19605&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Board+S3420GPeng

RX package http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3146&DwnldID=19606&ProductFamily=Server+Products&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Server+Board+S3420GPeng

You may notice they post this full package as well as an EFI only package. Either will work in EFI. It just takes an extra week or so to get the full package assembled and tested so the EFI only version always gets POSTed sooner than the full package.

C: At what point should i plug in the USB device since having plugged in while the server is booting causes the server to hang.

You can plug in the USB prior to power on since you will be pressing F2 (or F6) to go to BIOS set-up and the BOOT manager window to select EFI boot.

I would recommend while in BIOS set-up to set the USB Boot Priority to disable. When enabled, the system puts the USB devices at the top of the boot order which does not work too well if you don't want to be booting to USB.

Alternately, EFI is pretty smart.

You can boot into EFI, then plug in the USB fob.

Type map -r

the system will rescan and find the USB device and list all the FAT format drives it finds.

The USB are usually FS0:, FS1: or FS2:  Hard drives are BLK0: etc.

You can select the device at the promp  SHELL>

by typing  FS0:

DIR or LS will show the contents of the device.

Once your sure you have your Fob found type STARTUP and the flash will execute,

(The batch file STARTUP.NSH behaves like autoexec.bat in DOS)

Also, why cant i use the Deployment assistant to update the firmware. Is it supposed to do this job or am i mis understanding.

Last question, I can't answer. Maybe someone else on the forum has some experance with the DA.

Posiabilites might include Network firewalls preventing access? but I really don't know

• 5. Re: Updating firmware
                  Doc_SilverCreek

Hold the presses!

I was just looking at the  flashupdt.cfg file

It is checking to see if your BIOS is above BIOS 30 before it will flash.

PROBE BIOSVER "30+"
                  FOUND "BIOSOK" "BIOSNOTOK"

SInce your at BIOS 25 it responds.

IFSET BIOSNOTOK
                     DISPLAY "ERROR: Current BIOS is not compatible to be updated to this package!"

• 6. Re: Updating firmware
                    Doc_SilverCreek

I was trying to check some of the older packages to see if you need to flash to BIOS 35 or 40 before going all the way to 47, but it looks like something is acting up on the down load site. The only package I can access is the BIOS 47 package.

The release notes say any a board with BIOS 22 or higher, so I suspect this is an error in the flashupdt.cfg file that Intel will need to fix.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Updating firmware
                      jayoub1

You are very nice to help me and I will try again tonight

The last section you mentioned that the BIOS must be at 30 for it to be updated.  Does this mean that even i EFI mode the update will not work.

PLease let me know

I also contacted Intel tech support and will get them on the line tonight to help me.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Updating firmware
                        jayoub1

Thanks please let me know

• 9. Re: Updating firmware
                          Doc_SilverCreek

Looks like both the BIOS 40 and the BIOS 42  packages do not have this BIOS 30+ requirement.

I would advise flash to BIOS 40 then flash on up to BIOS 47.

BIOS 40 package

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18848&lang=eng

• 10. Re: Updating firmware
                            jayoub1

Will do.

Again thank for the help and I will let you know what happens

Jeff

• 11. Re: Updating firmware
                              jayoub1

I worked with the Intel tech and we updated the firmware to 47 without any problems.  First he asked for the ABA number on the board and determined the model is S3420GPLC.  I typed up the steps

Updating the firmware for Intel Server boar s3420GPLC

12/30/2010

To update the BIOS just do the following:

A: format a USB drive using FAT32 making sure nothing is on it

B: Download and Unzip the latest firmware version onto a computer.  You can look at the board ABA number to determine the exact model.

C: Copy the contents of the unzipped firmware onto the USB drive so it is on the Root of the drive (the update being the only thing on the drive)

D: Boot up and F2 to get the system set up.  Go to Boot Menu and pick EFI Shell

The Firmware and the USB device were recognized and the update process began, so just follow the instruction

Since I did not have an Intel Chassis I used “other chassis” and chose Medium Fan Speed when asked.

I found out that the flashupdt utility does not work with the S3420GPLX/LC Firmware Update Package for IDA, EFI*, OFU & WinPE*

Its done.

Thanks

Jeff