2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 11:02 AM by

Notebook manufacturers disable Intel HD Graphics

As some of you have surely noticed, there are many OEMs out there who are disabling the IGP by BIOS when a dedicated graphics card is built-in, therefore we can't use Hybrid Graphics. I am fully aware that Intel is not responsible for decisions they take but you have the ability to put pressure on them. I think it's a disadvantage not only for us as customers but also for Intel. Most (or even all) new i3, i5 and i7 CPUs have an IGP but OEMs refuse to enable them except they sell notebooks as "Hybrid Graphics notebook". So it's useless for Intel to pay for marketing and advertisement of the newly integrated graphics for low-end CPUs like i3 Series because they are hardly ever usable.

It may have been doubtful whether the Hybrid Graphics Software by nVidia and ATI works properly but now there is no reason not to use both integrated and dedicated graphics.

I own a Sony Vaio E Series with Intel i3 350M and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 but I know there are many more different models of different manufacturers affected. I asked for a BIOS update but so far I have been told there are no plans to deliver a new BIOS.

In my opinion this case is quite the same as it was with the Intel VT disabled. There was then a solution for most models (BIOS update) and I hope it's the same with the integrated graphics.

• 1. Re: Notebook manufacturers disable Intel HD Graphics
          parsec

I see your point but I wonder what good it would do to put pressure on Intel, which is what I think you suggested.  There are likely several reasons Intel lets their customers, the notebook manufactures, do as they please, including legal, marketing, and even political.

Legal in the sense that the sales contract does not enforce usage of Intel's parts in a particular manner.  That might make their customers unhappy, and cause them to buy elsewhere.

Marketing in the sense that proclaiming the product contains a separate graphics card make the product seem superior whether it is or not.  Mentioning integrated graphics is seen as low-end to the semi-educated customer, who are not savvy enough to understand hybrid graphics.

Political in the sense that if it were known that Intel enforced the use of their graphics processing, hybrid or not, it would appear as being controlling or attempting to monopolize the graphics market, regardless of how true that actually is.

I just read that a laptop manufacture that is using the new Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, that have the best integrated graphics in them that Intel has ever produced, will use a separate graphics card instead.  You have touched on a very interesting issue in the mobile PC market, that we certainly don't understand.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Notebook manufacturers disable Intel HD Graphics

There is a reason why "the semi-educated" think that integrated graphics means low end! It Does! When you have a computer with integrated Intel graphics and put a game like Guild Wars on it, that has system requirements well below the newer computer and notebooks out now, but try to run the game you realize something very disappointing. The "low-end graphics chipset" is incapable of fully rendering the game even though chipsets put out by ATI or NVIDIA years ago can properly render this game! People feel burned thinking they got a nice new up to date computer the can run anything that came out in the past only to realize they just got ripped off once again!! Intel needs to set their bar much higher when disigning their graphics chipsets! They destroy the value of the brand with the huge pile of worthless graphics chipsets they have been producing over the years. They are only enabling computer manufacturers to save a few bucks by giving them an cheap alternative to putting a decent graphics chipset in there computers. When all is said and done the customer is the one who pays for all this greed to the tune of $500 to $2000+ and every so slowly nobody wants to even touch a computer with an Intel Graphics chipset in it!!!!! It is a painful lesson that Intel is completely responsible for! Don't produce crap in the first place!!!!!!!