5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 8:16 AM by PeterUK

Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard

peladon

First, let me apologise if I may for asking what is probably a dumb question. It's one of my few talents :-).

My wife's machine ia fitted with a RAID mobile rack for her SATA disk drives. She has four drives, configured as a single bootable RAID 10 set using the Intel Storage Matrix controller. So far, so good. The machine has been working for a couple of years or so.

Recently the two drive cooling fans on the mobile rack developed worn bearings. So I got her another cage. However, the new cage does not clearly show which drive bay each of the SATA ports connects to.

In essence, I want to know if, to ensure continued as-is funrction, I have ot make sure that the same drive is connected to the same SATA port in the new cage, or if the Matrix Controller knws how to recognise the current drive serial numbers or drive data such that it doesn'matter which controller I connect it to. I suppose I'm trying to avoid having to work out which SATA port connects to which drive bay.

So, if currently:

SATA PORT 1 connects to Drive serial 12345

SATA PORT 2 connects to Drive serial 12346

SATA PORT 3 connects to Drive serial 12347

SATA PORT 4 connects to Drive serial 12348

With a cofigured, formatted and working RAID 10 layout across the 4 drives, would it work if I put them in on (unknown so random) controller ports in the new cage? If they ended up as:

SATA PORT 1 connects to Drive serial 12347

SATA PORT 2 connects to Drive serial 12345

SATA PORT 3 connects to Drive serial 12346

SATA PORT 4 connects to Drive serial 12348

Would it work on boot up? Or do I have ot take a spare drive and do some start up testing to see which socket on the cage is connected to which bay in the cage so I can get the drives on their current controller cables?

My thanks in advance for your time and attention, wise ones :-).

• 1. Re: Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
          PeterUK

The short answer is no the long answer is yes only for date recovery.

So why should it work in random ports with the array setup like so and we list ports from 0-5

drive one on port 1

drive two on port 3

drive three on port 4

drive four on port 5

When you make a array it stores a order listing for each drive on the drive in order so drive one 0, drive two 1, drive three 2 and drive four 3.

now mix them up.

drive four on port 0

drive two on port 3

drive three on port 4

drive one on port 5

The Controller scans all the drives and maps drive one order 0 to port 5, drive two order 1 to port 3, drive three order 2 to port 4 and drive four order 3 to port 0 and there is your array and it does this even in way you had it before.

Now when you do recovery with the ordering on the drives corrupted depending on how and what software you use when you mixed up the ports for the drives the order is not in the order for the ports.

• 2. Re: Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
            Stubi

@peladon

If you find out the port order does not matter please let me know. I want to change my ports. Recently I changed my 2 disk RAID setup to a 3 disk RAID setup. But when I did this I changed the port of one existing RAID disk from port 1 to 6 - wanted to replace it since it had bad sectors. The system wanted to add this disk to my old RAID area again - so it had the information on the disk. I did not look further since I tried to add one more disk to the RAID so I had to build up the area anyway new. So I am not sure if it really cares about a port number only. If you find out more please let me know.

• 3. Re: Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
              peladon

Stubi

I regret to say, I chickened out. I used an old spare drive to identify where each of the SATA connectors went in terms of drvie bays, then reproduced the orignial connection pattern with the original disks. Of course, it worked, but as a result I can neither confirm nor deny whether it wold have done so if I'd connected the drives any old way or if I would now have the equivalent of a smoking pile of data ruin.

My thanks to those who have responded, and my appreciation of their time and effort.

• 4. Re: Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
                PeterUK

Yes it doesn't matter what ports the disks go on for the array to still work but my point about how and what software you use to data recovery a array is why its best to keep them in order.

Making it simpler lets take disk A and disk B in RAID 0

Where do you start to put the data from? Disk A to disk B then back to A, B, A.....

or do you start to put the data on disk B to A then back to B,A....

In any case you are building up space but from where you start at? Which is why disk A has info saying its A and disk B is B which is why it works on any port to the same controller.

The problem happens when the disks have lost that info and so when that happens what one is disk A or B to do data recovery?

I should point out that this is not a problem when the array is degraded (RAID 5 & 10) from a failed disk only when the array has completely failed.

• 5. Re: Intel Matrix Storage - Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard
                  peladon

Peter

Thanks for the clarification. With luck, it might help Stubi as well .

Since I had no degradation or other drive issues, I just decided to play ultra-paranoid. In fact my backups are via Acronis to a NAS unit and, as far as I can setup, independant of drive configuration. So long as I have a bottable, addressable device to restore to, it should work. I have test recovered to a blank array successfully, so I knew I could cover worst case - just didn't want to have to suffer my poor wife's machine-less state that long if I could avoid it. Mapping the original drive/ port state and identifying the new csble-drivre bay config seemed the lowest risk and quickest path to success. Thank the skies for mobile racks that mean I don't have to strip the machine down to change a drive!

Thanks, Peter. Thanks Stubi. I'll mark this one asked and answered, and remind myself to come back here first next time .

Peladon