4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 1:18 PM by

DX58SO2 Setup SATA non-RAID boot drive & 2 RAID volume?

ssidoruk

I've upgraded to DX58SO2 board and wish to have non-RAID 1TB SATA drive (C:) and two (internal) SATA 400 GB drives as a RAID volume.  I'm not clear on which motherboards connectors to plug into, what BIOS settings should be and what drivers (Intel or Marvel) to install???  My previous Intel board had a set of Blue connectors that were for RAID and Black connectors for non-RAID drives - made it very easy.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: DX58SO2 Setup SATA non-RAID boot drive & 2 RAID volume?
          PeterUK

My previous Intel board had a set of Blue connectors that were for RAID  and Black connectors for non-RAID drives - made it very easy.

And so does this one unless you have the DX58SO?

What you can do for this setup is enable RAID (first as in do it before installing the OS) for the Intel SATA ports in the BIOS (can't tell you where as it an Intel board no per BIOS layout PDF) install your OS (if using XP your need to load driver by floppy using F6 or make a XP CD with drivers) and then install RST setup your array in windows using RST and your done.

If your two 400GB were in RAID before do not plug them in until after you have installed the OS and RST in RAID mode on a single non-RAID drive.

All drives can go on any black SATA port that are from the Intel controller.

If your two 400GB were in RAID and not using the Intel RAID controller you will need to use the same controller the access the array.

• 2. Re: DX58SO2 Setup SATA non-RAID boot drive & 2 RAID volume?
            ssidoruk

This is the brand new DX58SO2 board that was released the beginning of December.

The documentation does NOT indicate that the blue SATA connector are for RAID, as did my previous (D975XBX2) Intel board, but rather are:

"Two Serial ATA (SATA) channels (6.0 Gb/s) via a discrete controller."  I suppose that they are backwards compatible and slower drives could be connected there.

The two RAID drives were set up in XP Pro (32 bit) using the Marvell drivers.  When I upgraded my OS to Win 7 (64 bit), they did NOT appear as a RAID volume, but rather, as a single drive.  Right now, I only see the 1TB c: drive, but NO RAID VOLUME.

Documentation for the new board indicates that Marvell drivers should be used for the two back panel connectors for external drives and that Intel drivers should be used for all internal.  The only other thing the doc says is not to span RAID drives across the two controllers, which to me, is a no-brainer.

When I boot, I see both the Intel RAID screen & the Marvell RAID screen.

• 3. Re: DX58SO2 Setup SATA non-RAID boot drive & 2 RAID volume?
              mann

Steve,

I think this may be answered already but the 2 BLUE connectors on the MB are for 6GB/s sata and the 6 BLACK connectors on the MB are for 3GB/s sata.

Can't be much help with the RAID issue,, sorry.

Hope this helps

• 4. Re: DX58SO2 Setup SATA non-RAID boot drive & 2 RAID volume?

Blue ports are SATA III and only supports RAID 0, 1 using those two ports. you must enable raid through Cntrl+M during boot up

Black ports are SATA II and supports RAID 0,1,5, 10. enable raid in main bios (F2 key)

You cannot build a raid with blue and black combined. they are in two different controller.