2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2010 6:16 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

S5520SC Mobo RAID issues...

The_John

I swear this mobo is killing me!  I can't get the RAID 10 to work.

Running dual Xeon E5530 processors, with 49152MB DDR (all DIMM sockets are populated).  I have six ST32000542AS HDDs (from Seagate, 3Gb/s, 2TB).

I go into "setup" and disable "Quite Boot" and "POST Error Pause".  I then go to "Advanced".  In the Intel video clip (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029508.htm, under "how to configure the Intel(R) Embedded Server RAID Technology II" video), I'm supposed to have an option of  "ATA Controller Configuration" under the "Memory Configuration", but all that I have is the "Mass Storage Controller Configuration" option. (BIOS version 054).  This is the first inconsitancy...  So I go into the "Mass Storage Controller Configuration" option (it's the only option that I have related to this issue) and set "Onboard SATA Controller = Enabled", "SATA Mode = SW RAID" (I'm using a USB DVD drive to load Win 7).  I go to "Exit, save changes" and reboot.

I wait for the "Intel(R) Embedded Server RAID Technology II" to show and enter CNTRL+E to go into the RAID II Configuration Utility.  I select "Configure" then "New Configure" and say "Yes" to "Proceed".  Now I'm in the ARRAY SELECTION MENU.  No matter how many different ways I configure the array, I never get the option for RAID 10 (which is what I want).  I can select drives to get RAID 0, and I can select drives to get RAID 1, but no combination of drives and/or HotSpares gives me a RAID 10 option.  What am I doing wrong?

NOTE:  Intel(R) Embedded Server RAID Technology II (Ver A.09.08061549I)