Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz

idata
Employee

I was always wondering about this but I noticed that on my computer it detects that there is 4 CPU so does that mean that my Sony notebook that is a Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz is like a quad core? Since it's like a quad core will games run better than a normal dual core? I did get the new Sony computer 3 weeks agao and normaly it costed $700 but I got it for $580 since it was on sale. The model I have is VPC-EB3QFX. You can google it it you want more specs.

Here are some specs of my machine

Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz

4 GB DDR3 ram

320 GB hard drive

Intel HD Graphics 1.7 GB video ram

Realtek High Definition Audio

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Good day to you sir!

As for your question about does your Intel i3-370M 2.4 gHz processor has 4 cores?

Answer to that is no, your processor is 2 core, of course every time before you upgrade your PC or you are buying a new component, you can check every processor specification on the main Intel page.

Intel Core i3 - 2 Cores

Intel Core i5 - 2 Cores or 4 Cores (depending on the series)

Intel Core i7 - 4 Cores

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49020 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49020 - this here is a link of a full spec of your processor located on the main Intel page, there you can find white papers,specifications and of course applications for your processor or any other hardware you have from Intel.

By the way your computer was showing you threads so you have 2 Cores and 4 Threads, see the link for the full spec

Hope it helps

Have a nice day

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Someone said that since my CPU has 4 HT it's like having the Core 2 quad which is quad core without the HT. Doesn't having 4 HT is like having a normal quad core processor? Will having 4 HT help games run better than a normal dual core?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Having an Hyper Threading option enabled on your processor helps you in achieving better performance in general, that's true, but don't always get confused about Cores and Threads because it's not always that some Intel Core 2 Duo for example comes with 4 Threads capability, for example my old Intel Core2Duo E4500 had 2 Cores and 2 Threads, Thread means that one processor can work up to to one or two thing depending on how many threads you have, for example if you have 2 Cores and 4 Threads, that's is a Core2Duo processor not a QuadCore but you have the ability for a single core to do two jobs that you order it to. Of course that in general is great ability, so yes having an HT enabled processor gives you better performance

I hope it helps, have a nice day

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So having a dual core with 4 HT doesn't make it fast as a quad core with only 4 HT? I know that there are quad cores that has 8 HT but I' am just compairing a Quad core that has only 4 HT since each core comes with at least one HT. I know that if I had a Quad core with 8 HT then that would be well I think will be fast as having a 8 core with only 8 HT right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yep, there you have it, you answered on your own question ,ehehe needless to say that HT as a function helps the processor and gives him some performance, but having more cores that's what i'm talking about. In any case,your laptop is great no need to change it and expensive to, hhh i mean in my country those Sony VAIOS are for khm rich people, don't get me wrong, but we don't have those standards like European Union, USA or other big countries

0 Kudos