13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 1:44 PM by a99mac

SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?

a99mac

Are there any plans for the SSD toolbox to come to Macs? Or at least a way to update the firmware without using Windows (Yuck!)? I mean c'mon, Macs are the future! Get with it Intel!

• 1. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
          DuckieHo

I do not believe Apple ships any of their products with Intel SSDs.  If they did, I would think Intel would be more inclined to port the SSD Toolbox.

Also, note that OSX does not support TRIM.... However, I'm not sure if HFS+ fragments pages as much as NTFS.

Firmware update does not require Windows.  You download an disk image (.iso), burn it to a disk, and boot off this disk.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

• 2. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
            redux

The rumor is that Light Peak will first be appearing in Macs sometime next year. When that happens will there be a new generation of Intel SSD’s that support a Light Peak interface?

I haven’t been following Light Peak that much but there certainly seems to be a lot of excitement about it. How come Mac's get it first

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
              a99mac

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. But I feel like Intel should offer universal support for all their SSD's. It's an aftermarket item as well. I purchased the Intel because it doesn't exhibit any of the problems plagued by Sandforce based SSD's when installed in Macs. I guess I won't get my hopes up but I will keep my fingers crossed. AND throw a couple pennies in the jar so if this one gets slow I can purchase another one ASAP. I can't go back to HDD speeds now!

• 4. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                DuckieHo

a99mac wrote:

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. But I feel like Intel should offer universal support for all their SSD's. It's an aftermarket item as well. I purchased the Intel because it doesn't exhibit any of the problems plagued by Sandforce based SSD's when installed in Macs. I guess I won't get my hopes up but I will keep my fingers crossed. AND throw a couple pennies in the jar so if this one gets slow I can purchase another one ASAP. I can't go back to HDD speeds now!

I think you may be asking for too much.... From my understanding of the Apple ecosystem, very few companies provide direct driver or hardware tools.  For example, go look at aftermarket Apple certified video cards.

Asking for universal support is somewhat unreasonable.  If anything, Linux should be the next OS that would get the SSD Toolbox.

If your Intel SSD starts to exhibit write performance degradation due to lack of TRIM, there is no need to buy a new one.  A solution would be make a backup image of the drive, use a 3rd party tool like Secure Erase to clean all the pages, and then reapply the image.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                  DuckieHo

redux wrote:

The rumor is that Light Peak will first be appearing in Macs sometime next year. When that happens will there be a new generation of Intel SSD’s that support a Light Peak interface?

I haven’t been following Light Peak that much but there certainly seems to be a lot of excitement about it. How come Mac's get it first

LightPeak is more of a wrapper interconnect (for now). It will be able to tunnel different protocols like USB, SATA, PCIe, etc.  I am not sure if Intel plans to use it for a direct disk interconnect just yet.  Including a LightPeak controller on every SSD when 100% of the consumer market uses SATA currently seem expensive.

If the rumors are true.... Apple is probably looking for a Firewire replacement.  Also, using a large OEM with a relatively closed ecosystem is a good way to launch a new "standard".  This will ensure LightPeak equiped devices will find a use in systems wtih LightPeak controllers.

• 6. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                    a99mac

OK, you're adding insult to injury now. Linux before OSX? Really? The Secure Erase is all I need, I suppose, because all I want is to maintain my write speeds. Thanks!

• 7. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                      DuckieHo

Linux has a greater marketshare than OSX.

Many Linux servers would gain greater benefit from SSD in their workloads than desktop installations.

Enterprise can afford this type of upgrade.

However, Linux supports TRIM now so it does not need the Toolbox.

• 8. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                        redux

Mac provides a complete branded “product”. You can’t blame companies that supply the parts. The real problem here is that Mac’s don’t support TRIM, which is hardly Intel’s fault.  

• 9. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                          a99mac

The fact that Linux doesn't need the toolbox is more reason for Intel to skip it and support Macs. Intel provides other components used in Macs and well informed users choose the Intel because of the stability, as oppose to just benchmark scores. Additionally, Mac users are more likely to spend the money to upgrade to an SSD. Please forgive me if I've stepped on socio-economic toes, I'm poor too.

• 10. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                            DuckieHo

a99mac wrote:

The fact that Linux doesn't need the toolbox is more reason for Intel to skip it and support Macs. Intel provides other components used in Macs and well informed users choose the Intel because of the stability, as oppose to just benchmark scores. Additionally, Mac users are more likely to spend the money to upgrade to an SSD. Please forgive me if I've stepped on socio-economic toes, I'm poor too.

Let's not get into an Apple vs the world thread.... but I am going to address your points:

Linux made the effort to support SSDs and is easier to add demanded features.  OSX did not and is not.

Apple contracted Intel to provide CPU and chipsets for thier product.  Intel is supplying Apple with parts and it is Apple who provides the technical and customer service.  This is quite different from an end-user making a purchase of an Intel retail product.

AMD CPUs are just as stable as Intel.  Stablity is not a reason that a well-informed user would use as a criteria.  If you want to talk about stablity of the platform, AMD is better today.  They are providing upgrade paths for end-users with Socket AM2->AM2+->AM3->AM3+.

What evidence do you have that a Mac user would more likely upgrade to a SSD?  SSDs are probably most popular with PC enthusiasts who build and tweak their own machines.  They are also getting popular with high-end servers who understand the benefits.  Apple's target market tends to be users looking for ease of use.... A crowd less likely to spend on new hardware components.     

• 11. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                              a99mac

My apologies if I sounded flippant, I'm not looking for an argument or a debate either. I'm just taken aback that Macs still seem to get no respect. The fact that Apple is slow to implement some technologies seems like a good selling point for Intel to leverage against the other aftermarket SSD manufacturers. I'm very active in the Mac community and everybody I know is upgrading to an SSD. IDK.

• 12. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                                DuckieHo

a99mac wrote:

My apologies if I sounded flippant, I'm not looking for an argument or a debate either. I'm just taken aback that Macs still seem to get no respect. The fact that Apple is slow to implement some technologies seems like a good selling point for Intel to leverage against the other aftermarket SSD manufacturers. I'm very active in the Mac community and everybody I know is upgrading to an SSD. IDK.

It is not a matter of respect... but a matter of economics.  Companies generally do not on whims  

You do bring up a good point about a market opportunity.  I cannot pretend to know the cost vs benefits of providing additional Mac tools.           

I tried researching how HFS+ works... but I cannot find documentation.  Would you happen to know I can find this information?

• 13. Re: SSD Toolbox coming to Mac?
                                  a99mac

No but I did google it and got Mac OSX Internals chapter 12 in Google Books. Might help. All that kind of stuff is way beyond my field of expertise.