Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

Upgraded Dell Inspiron 600m Pentium M 1.6 to 2.13

idata
Employee

I attempted (well I did) my Dell Inspiron 600m processor from a Pentium M 1.6 400 fsb to Pentium M 2.13 533 fsb. I run the process ID tool... it see's the new processor (expected, 2.13 Ghz, 533 MHz, no L2), however it's (reported, 1.60GHz, 400 MHz, 2 MB L2). I flashed the BIOS (from Windows) which didn't work. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to bring the system to the new processor (2.13GHz)?

--- IPDT - rev 1.25.0.0 --- --- Start Time: 12/15/2010 00:57:54--- --- Skipping Config --- --- Reading CPU Manufacturer --- Expected --> GenuineIntelDetected --> GenuineIntelFound --- Genuine Intel Processor --- --- Temperature Test --- Temperature not supported. --- Reading Brand String --- Detected Brand String:Intel Pentium M 2.13GHz Brand String Test Passed!!! --- Reading CPU Frequency --- Expected CPU Frequency is --> 2.13 Detected CPU Frequency is --> 1.60076 CPU Frequency Test Passed with Warning!!! The processor frequency could be affected by over-clocking or power management features. Intel(R) does not support over-clocking of its processors.Over-clocking is not compatible with the Intel(R) Processor Diagnostic Tool. In order to ensure the processor frequency is not affected by these, pleaseenter BIOS and load defaults and disable any 'Over-Clocking' or powermanagement features that may be affecting processor frequency. Also please setany software applications which control power management features to default. --- Reading FSB --- Expected FSB : --> 533 Detected) FSB : --> 533 CPU FSB Test Passed!!! --- Running Base Clock test --- --- This CPU does not support base clock test --- --- Running Floating Point test --- Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 144Floating Point Test Pass --- --- Running Prime Number Generation Test --- Operation Per Second--> 332290Prime Number Generation Test Pass --- --- Reading Cache Size --- Cache Test not supported on this model processor. --- Determining MMX - SSE capabilities --- --- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ------ MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3/SSSE3/SSE4.1/SSE4.2 ---MMX - Intel MMX Technology Feature Supported --> Yes---> PASSSSE - Streaming SIMD Extensions Feature Supported --> Yes---> PASSSSE2 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 Feature Supported --> Yes---> PASSSSE3 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 Feature Supported --> No ---> No Test RequiredSSSE3 - Supplemented SSE 3 Feature Supported --> No ---> No Test RequiredSSE4.1 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1 Feature Supported --> No ---> No Test RequiredSSE4.2 - Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2 Feature Supported --> No ---> No Test Required Test Cycle Count = 100 --- MMX_SSE - capabilities check complete ---Pass --- MMX - SSE Testing complete --- ....Query 4.... --- Querying for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device (IGD) ---..Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device not supported on this processor....Skipping Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Device Presence Test....<div id="_mcePast...
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello; As first recommendation, check with Dell if your laptop fully supports the new processor and if indeed is supported, check if there is another way to update your system BIOS since it can be possible that your current BIOS version is not supporting this processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'd look up the chip i.d. on the site. Your old chip is SLxxx and your new chip is SLxxx. If you Google each code, you will see a site ark.intel.xxxxxxxxx. Click on that one. It will bring your chip up. Look at the bus/clock multplier of each chip. I suspect they are different. The 2.13 @ 533 MHz is quad pumped at 133 MHz, It is only running at the bus/clock multiplier the 1.6 chip is running at so the BIOS doesn't see it as a properly clocked 2.13 chip. I think if you do the math with all the numbers, it works out that way. The hitch is if your motherboard supports a 533 front side bus and you have the proper RAM speed to support it. The computer I am on now has a 2.2 chip in it with a 22 times multiliplier, if I put a 3.0 chip in it, it only runs at 1.5 GHz because the 3.0 chip has a 15 times multiplier. My board doesn't support it. If you look the chip specs up, it will come clear. Whether you can get it to run at 2.13, I don't know.

Good Luck

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Try going into device maneger and go to the CPU tab left click than right click scan for changes . than go to drivers and try to update. than see if it reports your new CPU correctly.

0 Kudos