1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 9:50 AM by godwin

DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT

nfl123

Well, I was hoping the experts could clue me in:

Just built a bare bones with the DP55KG Mother board and i7 875 CPU, 8 gig of ram

H50 Cooler-(which works well by the way) and a EVGA GTX460 Video Card.

When I first inserted it into the 16x slot before loading the Windows 7 Home Premium OS I received the 2 beep cannot detect video card alert during the

bios post check.

I decied to try the 8x slot and that worked fine.  Currently, that is what I am using.  Once I loaded Windows 7 Home Premium, I tried the Graphics Card back into the 16x slot.  I powered up the computer and the display came on, but i saw it was updating windows and said it had to shut down because it failed

to apply the latest windows 7 updates and was reverting back to previous values.  Once it did that, and rebooted, I lost the graphics card on the 16x slot.

I then put it back onto the 8x slot and I was back in business again.

any ideas?

Are the two issues related:  Windows 7 Update Failure and Graphics card not working in the 16x slot?

I have not tried the latest bios...yet...but would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Other than that, this system is working fine.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT

I believe this is the answer:

I installed another exact card into the x16 slot.  when I did that, the card was recognized and said the SLI bridge was missing.

Despite the Intel Documentation, unless there is a need for another 8 lanes, there only needs to be 8 primary lanes if your are going to use one video card-therefore the slot the Motherboard is looking for when it boots up is the 8x board and treats that as the primary.

also the Windows Update issue is corrected by flashing the bios to the latest and greatest and using the win 7 install cd to fix and repair the updates.

• 2. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
            Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Not sure how true this is:

"Despite the Intel Documentation, unless there is a need for another 8  lanes, there only needs to be 8 primary lanes if your are going to use  one video card-therefore the slot the Motherboard is looking for when it  boots up is the 8x board and treats that as the primary."

What i can tell you is that the GPU shoudl work without doubt in the x16 slot. i have teh board and mine does without an issue. If you have it in the x8 you have less bandwidth. have you tried it in teh x 16 since you have updated the BIOS? I know there have been some fixes for those cards in teh last few BIOS versions.

• 3. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
              tomkey

Hi, saw your post and I hope you or someone can help me.  I'm running an EVGA 470 card and the board will only recoginize it in the PCIe slot 3 (4X).  I was also getting BSD until I updated the BIOS, which seems to have fixed that problem.  I thought the problem was with the board but you indicte that a new card was initalized in the 16X slot.  I'm running 8G RAM and I've tried about everything I can think of as far as updating drivers, etc.  I just can't figure out if the problem means I need a new motherboard or a new video card, or hopefully some firmware/driver update that I'm missing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  (LOTRO keeps crashing with this rig too)

• 4. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

So now after updating the BIOS can you use the card in teh x 16?

If not what happens exactly?

• 5. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT

Capt:

with the new bios, it still does not work alone in the 16x slot.  as before, updated the bios, put it in the 16x slot, got video, then after it loaded the

drivers and rebooted lost video and got the infamous 2 beeps from the intel motherboard saying it did not detect a video card.  Once i put it back on the 8x slot...all was well...i put two gtx460 cards, one in the 16x and one in the 8x and my primary switched over to the 16x slot.  if i take one video card out...the intel board likes to use the 8x slot as the primary.  in the bios everything is set up for auto for external video cards.

im ok with that slot using the 8x...it just would be nice to know why it favors that slot when there is only one video card populating the motherboard.

• 6. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                    Cpt.Dogfruit

Persoanlly i think that you have a fault somewhere a\nd by teh sounds of it i am leaning towards the board. I can confirm that it should definately not have that behaviour. I say the board because you have tried both GPUs in that slot right?

You could also as a test, try the GPU in the x16 but with say half the RAM or maybe even only one module.

Also another to test would be to use teh aux sata power on the motherboard, to see if it makes any difference.

• 7. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT

capt:

if i use the sata aux power do i need to disconnect the other power source or can i leave that in place?  Im not talking about he main harness, the other 12 volt bus supply.

• 8. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                        Cpt.Dogfruit

you should always have teh 24 pin (motherboard power) and the 8pin (CPU power) ones connected. You should also always have teh GPU power connected. SO if you mean any of these three then you should leave them in.

• 9. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT

yes... i have all those getting power.

What I don't have is power going to the sata port on the motherboard.

Maybe that's the problem.  the intel documentation never said it needed to be powered-unless i did not interpret it correctly.

• 10. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                            Cpt.Dogfruit

No it doesn't say it, nor would you normally need it, but it is definately worth a try!

• 11. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                              nfl123

Hi Capt.

Well, I called Intel today...put on hold for 1/2 hour after being told for 5 minutes I would get to speak with an agent...

anyhow..they told me the same thing...hook up power to the sata plug...

I did that....nothing...

Again...it seems to work when there are two video cards present...when I tried the other card before I sent it back...it even said I was missing the SLI bridge....

I don't think there is anything wrong with the x16 port...something is not right with the way the Bios sees that specific card in the 16x port...

I am still trying to see if Intel can give me some direction...keep sending the ideas though...i like problems like these...

• 12. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                                Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Sorry but ain't really got any other suggestions on what to try other than test another card that isn't the same model.

It would appear that some how the PCIex16 whn being used fully is being limited somehow..not sure though.

One other thing was that you said you managed to get teh system to boot with the GPU in teh x16 and that after installing teh dirver in the OS you rebooted and it wasn't recognised anymore? if so...that in itself does not make sense, it could just be a coincedence that after that specific reboot it was not recognised. The reason i say it is that the OS drivers don't come in to play at all until the OS starts to load and therefor i cannot see any way that it would be possible that teh installation of teh drivers would cause teh GPU not to be recognised. hence maybe just a conicedence and if you had restarted the system various times without installing the drivers it would have doen the same thing...sorry just thinking aloud or rambling...

• 13. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                                  mechbob

Can you check the BIOS of the two graphics cards to see if both graphics cards do have the same bios. Now I mean the GPU BIOS NOT the mother board bios.

• 14. Re: DP55KG AND EVGA GTX460 VIDEO CARD DOES NOT WORK IN PCIe 16x SLOT
                                    mechbob

I ran into a similar problem , I bought two Gigabyte HD5770 SOC cards at the same time , to do a crossfire set-up and one card had the current bios and the other card had a Older bios, Once I did the update on the card that had the older bios , everything worked fine . and gave me 80GB of band with and 60 FPS.

1 2 Previous Next