1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 12:44 AM by Dogwood

DX58SO and UEFI boot weirdness.

jsbowden

Good evening folks,

I have a DX58SO firmware revision SOX5810J.86A.5506.EB with an i7 960, 6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600  RAM (3x2GB), X-Fi Titanium PCIe, Sapphire Radeon HD 5970, Plextor PX-B940SA BD-RE, and 4 SATA2 HDDs all plugged in to it.  Power supply is an Antec True Power Quattro 1000w.  Anytime I have to restart (Windows 7 64bit), the machine takes a long time to POST, and eventually gives an error about BIOS problems and asks if I'd like to check the settings (Y or N!  YOU WILL PRESS ONE OR THE OTHER!).  If I go into the BIOS settings and look, everything is set correctly and there is nothing in the error log, upon exit, machine turns off for a few seconds and restarts.  If I decide to hit N, it still shuts the machine down for a few seconds before it restarts.  If I shut down instead of restarting, it'll come up just fine once I turn it back on.  But I shouldn't have to.

Oh, and the Intel Desktop Control Center will not start.  It returns the following error:

Error while loading the application.

Error Details:

Cannot connect to the XTU service.  Shutting down.

OK (button to acknowledge and exit)

I'll assume the service in question is the Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility service I see in services, which should start on demand.  If I turn off UEFI, rebuild my whole damn machine, this will all work.  But again, I shouldn't have too.  UEFI is supposed to be better for 64bit (and it's almost useful; I miss the PROM environments on Sun and SGI).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jamie