11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 10:27 AM by PeterUK

No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107

krlanes

I have a RAID 5 volume with 2ea 1.5TB and 1ea 1TB Drives and would like to add  an additional 1TB drive however no add disk menu item is shown on the volume status or management tabs. I thought that the volume might need to be verified first so I started that task. A screen shot is shown below. My end desire is to move files from an existing NAS to this system and then replace the 1 TB drives on this system with 1.5 TB drives from the current NAS to make a RAID 5 system with all 1.5TB drives. I guess I am hoping that the Rapid Storage System will allow me to swap the 1 TB with 1,5TB and then grow the volume. Does anyone know if this will work or do I need a new plan?Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
          PeterUK

Not all ICHxxR support Capacity expansion.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm

Also your using a old RST the newest is 9.6.0.1014.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18859&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%c2%ae+RST)&lang=eng

You are also not able to make a bootable array bigger then 2TB only as a storage array can you have a array bigger then 2TB on a supported OS to do a GPT partition.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107

Thanks for the info. I guess that there are two posibilities either the software know that expanding the current volume will result in too large a boot partition or the chipset does not support capacity expansion.

The motherboard I have is the DH57JG. I looked around the Intel website and I cannot determine what south bridge chip is on this motherboard so I can't determine if the chip supports expansion. Any idea what this MB chipset is?

• 3. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
              PeterUK

You have the PCH

If anything you can't do anything to the array when its verifying so you will have to wait and then update the Rapid Storage Technology to the new one.

The option to add a disk to the array is either in the drive block icon that you are going to add to the array or in the array block icon.

Adding disks to a array is a risky thing you should backup.

If you are able to add a disk do not increase the array as well. With the added disk the max array size would be 3TB as it is you have a 2TB array but you should be able to make another array after that 2TB array to make a 750GB RAID 5, 1TB RAID 0 or 500GB RAID 10 with the free space.

Note: you can only have two arrays across the same disks.

• 4. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                PeterUK

How you put what you want to do might not have been clear to me...

Do you want to add drives to this array?

Or move out the two 1.5TB drives and swap them with 1TB drives?

Or move out the 1TB drive and swap it with 1.5TB drives?

• 5. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                  krlanes

My plan was to add the 1TB to the existing array and then copy the files from my other NAS. Then I would replace all the 1TB drives (which there would be 2) with 1.5TB, Your answer regarding the 2TB limit preaty much precludes me from doing this..

I am still having this road block with the Add Disk feature which I think is essential for any new plan. I upgraded my array manager with the link you posted and rebooted but there is no add disk function in either the array block of the disk block. The verification is complete and there is only the mark as spare function in the unused disk block and the write back cache function and rename volume in the volume block. So this needs resolved.

I am wondering if I can create a GPT partition and install Win 7 x64 on this system. I understand that this is supported by Win 7 but the motherboard firmware  needs to support UEFI for this to work right?

Thanks

Kurt

• 6. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                    PeterUK

I am still having this road block with the Add Disk feature which I  think is essential for any new plan. I upgraded my array manager with  the link you posted and rebooted but there is no add disk function in  either the array block of the disk block. The verification is complete  and there is only the mark as spare function in the unused disk block  and the write back cache function and rename volume in the volume block.  So this needs resolved.

Is the disk your trying to add have its partition deleted?

This is from the help file so their really should be a  Add Disk somewhere? Another reason why you can't add is that the array sees 1.5TB as the biggest disk and so you need that size to use the add option.

This action can also be performed from Manage Volume. Refer to the Adding a Disk to a Volume section for more information.

1.    Under 'Status' or 'Manage', in the storage system view, click the array to which you want to add a disk. The element properties are now displayed on the left.

2.    Click 'Add disk'.

3.    Select the disk you want to use to increase the array capacity.

4.    Click 'Add Disk'. Caution: Once the data migration starts, the operation cannot be canceled.

5.    Once the migration has completed, restart your computer for changes to take effect. Then use Windows Disk Management* to increase the partition size on the volumes for which a disk was added, or add another partition.

I understand that this is supported by Win 7 but the motherboard firmware  needs to support UEFI for this to work right?

yes and the RAID controller to support it too

Your answer regarding the 2TB limit preaty much precludes me from doing this..

Only from a bootable array storage non-bootable arrays are supported past 2TB.

• 7. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                      krlanes

Well one of the disks had a dynamic partition and the other was unallocated so I deleted the partition and rebooted just to be sure. I recall seeing that if you add a disk to a RAID 5 volume that disk needed to be as big or bigger than the smallest disk in the array. This make sense since the RAID is using the smallest disk size on all of the disks and you could not decrease that size.

on the second question do you think that the DH57JG supports UEFI?

• 8. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                        PeterUK

on the second question do you think that the DH57JG supports UEFI?

Even if it doesn’t have UEFI support it is only for booting so you can still make a 2TB+ array that is non-bootable on a supported OS without UEFI but the RAID controller needs to support UEFI for making a 2TB+ array that is bootable which at this time and info I have found suggests its not supported yet.

Such support would have to be a new chipset controller or and if possible in a newer RAID option ROM version as part of a BIOS update depending if the current chipset controllers could support it.

Two ways around this is to either boot the OS from a single HDD or SSD and then have a 2TB+ array or make a small array with the OS on with RAID 0, 1, 5 or 10 and make another array on the same disks for a 2TB+ array with RAID 0, 5 or 10 the two arrays don't have to be the same.

• 9. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                          krlanes

As the story turns out I was able to build a Windows 7 x64 system on a GPT  partition in a 3 disk RAID 5 using 1TB drives and have the DH57JG motherboard boot this installation using the UEFI switch in the bios.

As it turns out the Rapid Storage Manager will not give me a option to add a disk to this RAID 5 either.

Another strange thing is that if I attach a USB DVD drive or a USB harddrive to this system the system will not boot and hangs with a black screen and an underscore in the top left screen.

• 10. Re: No Add Disk Function on Rapid Storage 9.5.0.107
                            PeterUK

Yes I told you 2TB limit for booting being that 3x 1TB in RAID 5 is a 2TB array size.

You can only have an array bigger then a 2TB if it is non-bootable you can only add disks to a 2TB array that is non-bootable and using GPT.