0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 1:16 PM by R1CH4RD25

WOL Setup Question

R1CH4RD25
      Hello,

I have a question that hopefully is just something that I am misunderstanding about WOL. Here is a brief overview of my situation:

I am in control of around 75 computers. 95% of which are running Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3. (All of which that I am attempting to perform WOL on at moment). My Administration computer is Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. All of which are on the same Domain.

Currently I am targeting 12 machines, 2 are aimed at to get an overhaul, ranging from 3-5 years in age that are in a lab. All of which have onboard NIC cards (So I know that no cable is needed to keep it powered for WOL).

Their network adapters are as follows:

Machine 1: Computer needs work overall so no big whoop...
      Machine 2: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 3: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 4: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 5: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 6: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 7: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabet
      Machine 8: Intel PRO/100 VE
      Machine 9: Intel PRO/100 VE
      Machine 10: Intel 82566DC Gigabet
      Machine 11: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabet
      Machine 12: Computer needs work overall so no big whoop...

All machines except for Machines 8-9 allow for timed wake-up that I can set in the BIOS. Which I like because on ALL of my machines I only wish to have them up from 7:00AM - 4:00PM. And then have them shut down (Shutting down part I will be using AMP WinOFF to control each computer on its own. I have attempted a script using psshutdown from my pc but it doesnt always get all of the intended targets... IDK why...). All machines in BIOS allow for WOL from S5 State, in which I did enable.

I have also gone into the NIC settings under Device Manager and set the following for the cards:

Power Management Tab-
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
      Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby.
      Only allow management stations to bring the computer out of standby

Advanced Tab-
      Wake On Settings - Wake on Magic Packet
      Wake On Link Settings - Enabled/Forced (Some just have enabled, some just have forced as options)

Now, all of these were setup after a couple of days worth of research/testing. I have tested w/out the Advanced Tab settings being the way they were, Wake On Link Disabled and Wake On Settings being OS Controlled. Still no luck. The only way that SOME of the computers will start on my command is having the settings set as they are above.

I am using depicus.com's Wake On Lan Monitor as well as their WolCmd to send the packets. I am getting confirmation that the packets are going through, and have varified the MAC addresses through several different means. The Monitor is showing Packets received to computers however that were not sent to them. I am not 100% as to if the Monitor simply watches the network for activity or if it watches for that computer specifically... By what I am seeing it is the Network activity (Or at least I hope).

Since all settings are the same, I would think that I should be able to wake all machines, however, from the list above, when a packet is sent, only Machines 2,3,5,6,8,9 will wake, the others, will not (Exclude machines 1 and 12 as they are the overhaul machines).

Now, as my issues progress, I have found that the machines in which I am able to boot remotely, tend to have a mind of their own. They will boot up on their own at random times throughout the evening. Outside of their 7AM-4PM time range. I know that using the AMP WinOFF will allow for them to be shut back down, but still, there should be no reason for them to start on their own.

As a last detail, my knowledge of a lot fo the ends and outs of scripts and registries are few and far between. Generally I can get the jist of what someone wants or can step by step and understand why we are performing each action, but knowing exactly where I am looking for what details is a bit of a task, so please dumb down your answers for me as best as possible.

Thanks for the help!