1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 7:06 AM by ozymanitu

RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R

mikebio

Hello,

a friend of mine had a RAID5 set up in his PC, with 4 identical hard disks (4x WD1500 ADFD-0 150GB) on a ICH9R controller (built-in on his motherboard). This RAID5 is the only storage of this PC and is also the windows partition (huge error, I know).

Now one of the hard disk seems to have gone bad and the PC cannot load windows, giving error message "DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

When I enter the POST Matrix Storage Manager (ctrl+i during POST) it shows 3 hard discs as RAID MEMBER, and one of the hard disks as "OFFLINE MEMBER. The Raid status is FAILED.

I'd guess that what I should do now is rebuild or recover the array, but the only options on the screen are:
      1: Create RAID Volume
      2: Delete RAID Volume
      3: Reset disks to non-RAID
      4: Exit

Tried googling but almost every solution I found was using the windows Matrix Storage Manager program (i cannot log in windows) or mentioned an option/dialog in the POST Storage Manager saying "Rebuild Array?" (which is not the case for me).

From what I know RAID5 allows for 1 hard disk to fail without loosing your data. So 1 hard disk failed! What should we do know?! We can afford loosing the data so this is not a "OMG NO BACKUP WHAT SHOULD I DO" post, but it would be nice if I didn't loose them.

Every help is welcome.

PS: Another peculiar thing is that from what I've read, with only 1 failed HD the raid status should be "degraded", with 2 failed HDs it should be "failed". But I have 1 failed HD (offline member) and a status of "Failed".

• 1. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
          RockChalk

I'm very glad to hear there's a backup of the data.  I would have definitely expected the bad disk to have gone into a failed state instead of an offline state.  That is a little odd.  Try removing just the disk that is marked as offline and then try rebooting.  It's quite likely that at that point the raid volume will show up as degraded and be bootable.

• 2. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
            mikebio

Thank you for your time.

I removed the "bad" disc, raid5 recognizes the 3 healthy discs as before. But as before, raid5 status still says "failed". Still no option for recovery / rebuild in POST storage manager. Still no booting into windows.

I tried removing the drives one by one, and then all of them. Each time the behavior was predictable: the "bad" disc always showed as "Offline member" (if/when connected), the 3 healthy drives always showed as RAID members (if/when connected).

I tried replacing all the sata data cables (in case the problem was with the cable), and change the sata slot where each disc was connected (in case the sata slot was faulty). No luck, still one of the four drives (always the same one) is "offline member", raid status is "Failed".

I tried connecting a new hard disc (larger than the other 3) as a replacement, is shows up as "non RAID disc", still no option to rebuild/recover.

I am quite impressed at this situation. I mean, this is exactly what raid5 is for: 1 drive failing. I would expect to just start POST storage manager, select "rebuild" and be done with it!

Right now I'm taking images of the 3 healthy drives (through an ubuntu live cd) and after that I will try to intall windows in a spearate disc, and try to restore the raid from there using Matrix's Storage manager for windows.

Does anybod else have a better/faster idea ? Any input is appreciated.

• 3. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
              PeterUK

Yes you are right it should be degraded I'm guessing your friend doesn’t run verify much for the array to check its self?

Boot from another drive (try not to install on one on the array drives) with RST install to access the array and also try using RAID to RAID reader

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18859&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&lang=eng

http://www.diskinternals.com/raid-to-raid/

You can not rebuild the array at boot in ctrl+I the controller (ICH or PCH) does not have the hardware to do that (It not a full hardware RAID solution) it only reads the drives and puts them in a array and has enough code to let windows take over, only in windows can it do the rebuild.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                mikebio

Thank you very much for the info, it now makes sense about the ctrl+i manager. So it was completely irrational to have this kind of RAID with windows on iit, since you need windows to restore it!

I'm installing windows on a new hd as we speak and i'll try to rebuild the array using the 2 programs you mentioned, plus the official program (matrix storage manager) plus raid reconstructor (which was suggested to me on another forum)

Just 1 more question: when i try to rebuild, should i connect a new hard disc in the place of the faulty one? Or will the program rebuild using only 3 discs (the 3 that are working) ?

• 5. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                  PeterUK

plus the official program (matrix storage manager)

RST or Rapid Storage Technology is the replacement for matrix storage manager.

Thank you very much for the info, it now makes sense about the ctrl+i  manager. So it was completely irrational to have this kind of RAID with  windows on iit, since you need windows to restore it!

Thats the thing you don't... really you can boot from a degraded array in RAID 5 with one failed drive when it works but in your case the controller thinks it can't for some reason

• 6. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                    mikebio

I now have the following problem: in order  to install windows on a new hd, i disconnected all the raid drives, connected a new hd, and i had to get into BIOS and set "Sata RAID/AHCI mode" to "Disabled". If I didnt't, the new hd was not recogized by the computer or windows setup ("you have no hard disc to install windows on"). So I changed it from "RAID" to "disabled" and went on to install windows.

Now Windows is installed ok and I have reconnected all the raid drives, but when i try to run RST on my new windows installation I get an error "your computer does not meet the minimum requirements". I've googled this and looks like this message is because i have set the option to "disabled" so the program cannot find a raid controller to work with.

BUT when i re-set it to to "raid" the (new) installation of windows does not boot. I tried seting the boot priority in BIOS, and also selecting the new hard disc explicitly in the bios boot menu but it just does not boot: it freezes while loading windows.

Could anyone help me on how I set up my discs and bios in order to get my new windows inatallation to try and restore/rebuild the raid from the 4 discs?

• 7. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                      PeterUK

I now have the following problem: in order  to install windows on a new  hd, i disconnected all the raid drives, connected a new hd, and i had to  get into BIOS and set "Sata RAID/AHCI mode" to "Disabled". If I  didnt't, the new hd was not recogized by the computer or windows setup  ("you have no hard disc to install windows on"). So I changed it from  "RAID" to "disabled" and went on to install windows.

Using XP right? There is no reason you can't install an OS on a single drive as long as you load drivers for the RAID which XP dose not have so you need to do F6 install to load them by floppy when installling the OS.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18860&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&lang=eng

However that RAID to RAID should work without RAID enabled.

Message was edited by: PeterUK

• 8. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                        mikebio

Once again I thank you for your time.

But I'm afraid I'm not 100% clear. Right now I have set up a windows xp installation on a new 500gb disc. And I also have 4 160gb discs that used to form a raid5. If I set the bios option to "disabled", I can boot from the winxp installation, and have access to the 4 drives as separate drives, but RST cannot install in windows because it says "min requirements not met". Probably due to the fact that the raid controller is "disabled".

If I set the bios option to "raid" I cannot start windows xp at all (PC freezes/restarts when booting windows).

The drivers you mention are used for the windows setup procedure to recognize the raid. But I have already installed  windows on a new drive. Can I use now this driver? And if yes, will it work since I have the bios optioon "disabled" ?

• 9. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                          PeterUK

The drivers you mention are used for the windows setup procedure to  recognize the raid. But I have already installed  windows on a new  drive. Can I use now this driver? And if yes, will it work since I have  the bios optioon "disabled" ?

No you have to start over by enabling RAID F6 on installing XP to load the driver and install windows on a single drive.

• 10. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                            mikebio

Ok, I'll try that- setting the bios seeting to "raid" and rei-installing windows along with the raid drivers and I'll see where that takes me.

• 11. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                              mikebio

Just tried doing what you said: installing windows on a new disc with F6 for raid driver. Raid drivers were loaded without problems, but windows setup behaviour is the same: if the bios setting setting is "RAID" it says "there are no hard discs to install windows on" (bios says: 3 raid memebers, 1 offline, 1 non raid). If the setting is "Disabled" then windows setup "sees" the new disc and can install windows, but the 4 raid discs are recognized as 4 stand-alone discs, and not as raid.

?!

• 12. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                                PeterUK

Just tried doing what you said: installing windows on a new disc with F6  for raid driver. Raid drivers were loaded without problems, but windows  setup behaviour is the same: if the bios setting setting is "RAID" it  says "there are no hard discs to install windows on"

What one out of the list did you use when you loaded the drivers?

XP 32-bit?

• 13. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R

agh! you are correct, I had selected the wrong one (ich8 instead of ich9r). it's windows server 2003.

I'm installing them right now.

Another problem I have right now is that unil now ctrl+i manager said "3 raid members 1 offline member". Since I diabled the BIOS option and then re-set it to "RAID" it says "2 members, 1 non member, 1 offline member".

I hope MSM will b able to get past that.

• 14. Re: RAID5 failed 1 hard disk on ICH9R
                                    mikebio

Managed to install windows and Intel's repid storage program. It shows 3 discs in the raid, one not in the raid and the raid as FAILED. No option to recover/rebuild. Help file mentions unplugging/re-plugging the discs and getting into the ctrl+i manager, which I have already tried.

This is what I see in the rsm:

http://i.imgur.com/fmxHe.jpg

(the 143gb discs used to form the raid. the 477 disc is the new one, in which i installed windows and the rapid storage program).

I'm really baffled by the fact that the program itself sees 3 out of 4 discs but considers the raid failed and offers to way to rebuild.

Any suggestions?

M

1 2 Previous Next