Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Can I upgrade a Pentium 4 CPU ?

idata
Employee

Hi everyone, I am hoping to finish the upgrade of my Advent 3117 by getting a more powerful Cpu.

The socket number of the current Pentium 4 is 478 mPGA. The outfit is about 7 years old..Am

I expecting too much? Regards to all, RegT

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Intel stopped manufacturing processors based on socket 478 over 5 years ago, so it will be very difficult to find a processor for that socket type nowadays.

I would suggest thinking on buying or building a new system based on newer technology.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for that very helpful tip. I think I will take your advice and get an up to date rig.

I half expected that my computer is getting long in the tooth!!

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If the rest of your componets are in good condition you might look at NEWEGG.com for a mother board and CPU combo.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Robert, I had thought about a SL7CH 3.4 Ghz CPU to replace the 2.8 I have at the moment. I am not sure about changing the motherboard. I will probably stick with getting a new outfit. Many thanks for your help. Regards ,RegT

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have a Old HP that I put a P4 extreme. 3.4 Big difference was this CPU has a L3 and was based on the early Xeons.I got used for about $100.00. and this think runs as good as most dual cores.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hey sorry to post here but i want to know ram(2gb) supported by p4 2.66ghz processor, i can change my motherboard also for better ram. if it possible please give me combination of RAM(2gb) and Motherboard for p4 2.66.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi vipul,

Its the thing that RAM is compared with the compatability of motherboard u take not the proccessor . And u say u r having P4 so motherboard are intel 945 series even available in some markets and ebay and u can also find intel classic series motherboards.

Ram to Motherboard compatibility is like this

Motherboard RAM

intel 845,865 (old series)-------------- DDR1 or DDR

intel 945 series--------------------------- DDR2

Intel now Latest Proccessors-------DDR2 or DDR3

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"I have a Old HP that I put a P4 extreme. 3.4 Big difference was this CPU has a L3 and was based on the early Xeons.I got used for about $100.00. and this think runs as good as most dual cores."

Not really. There is a huge performance gap between Pentium 4 and core 2 or even earlier architectures after netburst. Not to mention TDP and power consumption... It's rather recommended to move on to newer plaftorm. These days you can buy awesome ThinkPads made out of titanium alloy, with Dothan CPU, 2 core, 2,1GHz DDR2 for about 200-300$. They run cold and very quiet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for that info Werez. My question has been answered. A new computer it is then. Best wishes Reg

0 Kudos