Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

Acceptable memory for i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition

idata
Employee

I am a video editor and want to max out my new system build with i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition. I am researching parts right now and see that it can handle up to 24GB DDR3 but only at 1066MHz. I also read a spec sheet somewhere that said it did not support EEC type memory. I have searched the entire web for 6 sticks of 4GB DDR3 (tripple channel) at 1066MHz. The only thing I can is EEC server memory. Does this processor handle EEC type memory sticks or not? If not, then what other options do I have to get over 12GB of DDR3 Ram? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

OK, I found the spec sheet that says it does not support ECC type memory. So, there doesn't seem to be many options to get over 12 GB DDR3 Ram with six slots (triple channel) on my mother board. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47933&processor=i7-970&spec-codes=SLBVF http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47933&processor=i7-970&spec-codes=SLBVF

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you want to run 24GB , G.Skil F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL , Is a 24 GB kit that will run triple channel . But Gee Man why do you need 24 GB Most of my High end machines , I'm running 8GB and don't use half of it. ???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's mainly for the future. I know of editors pushing 16 GB when editing HD and doing RAM preview in After effects so I would like to at least get in the ball park with this new system. I didn't see where the G.Skil F3-10666CL9T2-24GBRL says it can do triple channel. It says it is a Hexa-Channel Kit and it is running 1333 instead of 1066. Maybe I just need to dump in 12GB for now and upgrade later if need be.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For anyone who may read this with the same question Kingston says their

part number, KVR1066D3N7K3 (3 sticks of 4GB), is acceptable for this application. Also any memory sticks from Kingston with a part number ending in 3 is tripple channle compatiple.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FYI... The system is built and working everyday. This RAM setup works perfectly with the 980X.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the processor 980x extreme edition but im facing serious problem with my computer. The problem is that for every task (maybe less) that i open it gets stuck for a minute or not responding for some minutes and then continues again normally. I dont know why is so slow. Is it because of my motherboard or any other hardware or is it because of software?

0 Kudos