cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the Intel 120GB G2 drive have TRIM support?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can not find any documentation about whether this drive has trim support. The Vertex 2 OCZ SSD states it clearly. I have been told not to buy an SSD with out TRIM support but can not confirm that this drive has it. Everything else seems great. Can someone give me some advice on how to use this drive as a boot drive, I have seen it stated that I should not format this drive, can someone confirm? Any other rules of thumb for this SSD? I have never had a SSD drive before and I worry that over time the drive will slow becuase of garbage handling, page file, and other activities that cuase too many writes to this drive, how long can this drive really support as a primary boot drive?

Please help clarify?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All G2 drives (including the 120GB version) have TRIM support. You need to be running Win 7 and be using either the default MSAHCI driver (or preferably the latest Intel RST driver if you have an Intel controller) for TRIM to work automatically. For other configurations you can use the Intel Toolbox to run TRIM manually or you can use the Toolbox to set up a schedule for TRIM to run automatically.

All you really need to do is set the BIOS to AHCI mode to get maximum performance. The Intel Toolbox provides a System Configuration Tuner that will automatically optimise Win 7.

The Tweaks that you see for SSD (outside of what the Toolbox does automatically) are mostly a waste of time as they do nothing to improve performance.

The only useful tweaks are ones that save space. Turning off hibernate frees up space. I don't use system restore because it takes up too much space. The Windows 7 System Image back up tool is a much easier and comprehensive way to back up and the image can be saved on a separate disk.

I have 8GB of RAM so I don't use the page file.

There is no need to run a full format during installation. A quick format does the job.

There is no need to loose sleep worrying about writes with an Intel SSD.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All G2 drives (including the 120GB version) have TRIM support. You need to be running Win 7 and be using either the default MSAHCI driver (or preferably the latest Intel RST driver if you have an Intel controller) for TRIM to work automatically. For other configurations you can use the Intel Toolbox to run TRIM manually or you can use the Toolbox to set up a schedule for TRIM to run automatically.

All you really need to do is set the BIOS to AHCI mode to get maximum performance. The Intel Toolbox provides a System Configuration Tuner that will automatically optimise Win 7.

The Tweaks that you see for SSD (outside of what the Toolbox does automatically) are mostly a waste of time as they do nothing to improve performance.

The only useful tweaks are ones that save space. Turning off hibernate frees up space. I don't use system restore because it takes up too much space. The Windows 7 System Image back up tool is a much easier and comprehensive way to back up and the image can be saved on a separate disk.

I have 8GB of RAM so I don't use the page file.

There is no need to run a full format during installation. A quick format does the job.

There is no need to loose sleep worrying about writes with an Intel SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

thank you!