1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 4:15 PM by mattski

How to undo BIOS update D510

mattski

I have a D510 motherboard and am running OpenIndiana (OpenSolaris) on it. After updating to the latest BIOS, it no longer boots (well, hangs during boot).

Additionally, a USB installer fails to boot - it hangs at "GRUB Loading stage2...". Incidentally, I've tried the same USB installer on 3 other PCs and it works fine, so there's nothing wrong with the USB drive.

It was bios version 0311 and I upgrade to 0400 then 0501. The flashing process appears to work fine.

The DOS IFLASH utility says it can't put 0400 firmware because the "BIOSID's do not match".

Is there a way to force flash back to the 0311 bios??

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
          Aryan2411

Hello Matt,

You will need to do a bios recovery.

Download the version 0311

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19278&ProdId=3196&lang=eng

Read the readme file on how to do a bios recovery. Refer to the Technical Product Specifications if you are having trouble in setting the correct jumper settings.

Instructions on the bios upate:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
            Medalha

What you are describing is the standard BIOS update procedure.

The problem that the OP has, which is the same I have, is that BIOS 501 is full of problems. When you try to go back to ANY of the previous versions, the system complains abou the following:

"The DOS IFLASH utility says it can't put 0400 firmware because the "BIOSID's do not match".

So, the question remains:

"Is there a way to force flash back to the 0311 bios??"

The BIOS recomended BIOS recovery process does not work. After removing the BIOS jumper and powering on with a USB stick inserted, the board stays forever accessing the stick at intervals but nothing happens. When you reboot after you are tired waiting for half an hour, the BIOS is still the same 501 version.

This has left the board unusable. All the bootable CDs I try now fail with "divide overflow", "divide error", video error and so on.

There is nothing on Intel pages about this issue or about the 501 version not being suitable for all boards. Intel just screwed up.

• 3. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
              Aryan2411

Hello,

I will check and let you know by next week if  i find anything.

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 4. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
                Aryan2411

Hello,

I will try these if i get any chance next week:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-031141.htm

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 5. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
                  dekkers

I've just updated to 0501 and I can only agree that Intel screwed up big time. When I go to the setup and press a key on my USB keyboard the whole setup almost freezes. It takes seconds to react to any key press and the time only updates every 5 or more seconds. How can something like this ever pass QA? It's also not possible to downgrade, also not using BIOS recovery.

I hope Intel will release a new BIOS with bugfixes soon or else I'm simply going to RMA the board because this is totally unacceptable. And if creating BIOSes that actually work is too difficult, maybe Intel should consider releasing all the low-level chipset documentation so that others like the coreboot project can actually implement something that is not that damn buggy as these Intel BIOSes are.

• 6. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

>> I've just updated to 0501 and I can only agree that Intel screwed up big time.

Unfortunately, yes.

I had hoped that since version 400 is a transition BIOS it would be possible to downgrade first to 400 then to 311. No luck, the "transition" is unidirectional. The board even shows no video when trying the recovery process.

It's hard to believe that Intel did such a blatant mistake.

>> I hope Intel will release a new BIOS with bugfixes soon or else I'm  simply going to RMA the board because this is totally unacceptable.

Yes, it is unaceptable. I am thinking of doing the same.

• 7. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
                      Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Aryan asked me to have a look in ot the BIOS problem, and i can confirm 100% that there is no way at all of going back to 10J.bio. and as some have seen even though the 400 is a transition bios and it is in theroy a 10n.bio, it in fact isn't and is still a 10j.bio therefor eyou can't even go back to that. Whether or not there will be any fixes in teh next bios...according to the documentation there are no know erratas in this BIOS so your guess is as good as mine. But i would suggest you contact your local support and make tehm aware, even if these forums are read by Intel people.

• 8. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

Cpt.Dogfruit thank you for looking into it.

Your information is not quite correct. Intel Integrator Assistant does let you go back to v0400 (which is equally undesirable) but not from there to v0311. So it doesn't help.

Since you work for Intel we are counting on _you_ to make sure the message gets to the right people, namely the BIOS engineers responsible for debugging the code and releasing a fixed version. Please point them to these threads:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/17645?tstart=0
                        http://communities.intel.com/thread/17415?tstart=0

It will be immediately apparent to anyone sufficiently qualified that this BIOS is very far from erratum-free. I will not waste my time reexplaining the problems documented in this forum to your local support people and requesting that they escalate the issue.

• 9. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
                          Cpt.Dogfruit

To be honest i hadn't tried with the ITK, but theoretically even that "shouldn't" work!

I haven't eitehr looked in to the issue or problems that people are having with teh latest BIOS, but as i said in my previous poist, it is best that service tickets are opened by the people with the problems themselves with their local support. These will then all get fed upwards to the appropriate department.

• 10. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

this issue is open since 5!!!!!! month with no result?

until now i have used the d510 with version 0311 but after some problems with usb recognitions i tried to update to the latest bios version 0311 > 0400 > 0516

now i have lost my nexenta storage because grub hangs at "grub loading stage 2..."

no way to go back to version 0311, the only thing i can do is to wait until intel is able to provide a bios which solves this issues

and in the meantime i have no access to my 4tb!! of data!!!!!!!!!

THANKS INTEL

• 11. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

I use open indiana on mine. I found that after a bios update some of the settings changed. In particular, I had to find the right combination of AHCI/IDE and USB Legacy enable/disable before my system would boot again.

Good luck.

• 12. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

Same problem after update 0311 > 0400 > 0516... Bios screens are corrupted, recovery doesn't work. No luck with bios downgrade. At this moment board looks bricked. Nice, thanks for untested bios releases!

• 13. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510

I have most issues to add to this.

I only wanto to boot the computer after power FAILs...very very easy. But for some reason, and very funny them, using the origial BIOS i was capable that do this if i kept the keyboard connected. If i disconect it the PC never boot after power fail.

Now, with this BIOS:

MOPNV10N.86A.0516.EB.EXE

mmm? what i need to kept connected?, because with keyboard and mouse do not turn ON N-E-V-E-R!!

This BIOS fix a lot of thing about CPU multi-threading, the PC goes more stable but it do not turn on after power fail. What i need to do? dress my like an indian and dance in circles arrount the CPU to fix the BIOS?

Best Regards

Stupit_Inter_sit_user

• 14. Re: How to undo BIOS update D510
                                    Wiwah3Za

The D510MO BIOS is now at 0542 version. Were you able to resolve your issue with Solaris? A bit different, but possibly related problem was reported in this thread with regard to FreeBSD:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/18964

1 2 Previous Next