Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

X58 chipset problems with HD6870 card

idata
Employee

I have the following PC

Gigabyte GA-X58-ud5 motherboard

Bios latest F12

Intel I7 94 2.92ghz

12gb Kingston memory

X58 chipset

Sata drives x4

Burners x2

Current Graphics card is a Gigabyte 9600 GT

Fusion HDTV card

Antec 1000 watt Truepower Quattro power supply

The above system works with no problems.

Purchased Gigabyte HD6870 graphics card to use in this system. Trouble is that after removing the 9600 GT and putting in the HD6870 I get no video output, even the startup screen does not show. PC seems to be starting up but no display output at all. Have tried both DVI outputs and also the DVI to SVGA dongle as well.

I have uninstalled all Nividia drivers and used Driver Sweep to make sure that they are gone, but still no joy.

Tried the HD6870 in another X58 chipset PC and it would not work either

Put the HD6870 in an older PC and it works correctly.

Does anyone have any idea's or suggestions

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

That is an annoying problem, no question. Your PC sure looks like it can handle this card, meaning the power supply and motherboard. I can't offer you any solution, sorry to say, but a little bit of information, FWIW...

I found a PC hardware review website that reviewed multiple Radeon 6850 graphics cards using an X58 chipset motherboard, so that in itself does not seem to be the problem. Similar 6870 cards are also used in the review, you can check that here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4002/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overclocking-roundup-asus-xfx-msi/1 http://www.anandtech.com/show/4002/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overclocking-roundup-asus-xfx-msi/1

You did not mention your OS in your post. Also, what is the "old PC" that your card functioned in like? Is there anything in common with the other X58 PC you tried the 6870 on and your PC? Could your HDTV card have an issue with your 6870?

Given you have a Gigabyte motherboard, and Gigabyte graphics card, what do they say about your issue?

idata
Employee

Problem update

Thanks "Parsec" for the info. Gigabyte are still looking at it

OS is Win7 64 bit

Found a chipset update at Gigabyte (9.12.1007) which I downloaded and installed it

Moved the card to PCIex2 slot

Set bios to use this slot for graphics

Installed card

I now get output on the screen but only when using the DVI to SVGA adapter. Trying to run from the DVI only cable gives me a output but only in 640x480 mode and will not allow any changes. At least I have output to work with for more trouble shooting

An advantage of the chipset update is that I can now see both burners at boot time so it must have updated the INF.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're welcome, and glad you have it up and running, to a degree of course.

So it seems that the management software for your 6870 will not allow you to adjust the resolution? Plus you are stuck with a DVI to VGA convertor? You sure are trying everything and giving this card a chance!

Did you check out the Gigabyte support forums for any help? I am curious to see what the resolution to this issue is, assumming that you find it. Good luck!!

idata
Employee

This problem is now fixed, there was an incompatibility between the BIOS and the X58.

Thanks need to go to ATI/AMD and Gigabyte for time expended on fixing this problem.

Gigabyte, after some trying and testing on my end, came up with a modified BIOS to suit my PC's m/b and another BIOS to suit my other PC. Both had X58 chipsets.

So if anyone is having similar problems with this card and X58 then contact your m/b manufacturer for an updated BIOS

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm glad you you finally have your problem resolved. From your description, it sounds like you have a custom BIOS from Gigabyte, is that correct? Are they going to offer that BIOS to other owners of this mother board?

Regardless, that is amazing that you were able to get that kind of response from them. Then again, if you found a major problem that could affect others, than I'm not surprised they fixed their BIOS. Given you had two BIOS updates from them, I'd love to know how you managed to get that kind of response out of them, good work!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It seems that if you request help and give them decent information (not just "it does not work") they seem willing enough to help solve the problem.

You must be prepared to wait as well as you may not be the only one with a problem.

I gave them details of all the steps I had done followed by all the testing I had done including what software used in the testing. This helps them with a starting point. I also gave details of hardware, BIOS and which version of the INF I was using.

I do not know whether this update will get through to the next revision of the BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't want to sound cynical, but the Radeon HD6800 series graphics cards and Barts GPU were released recently, and X58 motherboards are recent products too, so if a new Gigabyte graphics card fails to work on a recent Gigabyte mother board, that should get their attention. Regardless, you did Gigabyte a favor by communicating this problem to them and AMD, the least they could do was provide you a fix. It amazes me that at this time products can be released that are so sophisticated and tested and yet just plain fail on their most basic task.

I would be surprised if you alone were the only one experiencing this problem, or perhaps you are the first or one of the first. IMO, quite an amazing story, and only adds to my feeling that it is a miracle that PC work at all!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Parsec, I am cynical as well but I give everyone a chance to redeem theirselves. You just never know but I may be the first to give them the right info to fix the problem. Maybe people with a problem do not know where to take the problem, they may just go back to the shop and get their money back rather than persevere, then mark it down to a bad experience.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

See earlier post, relating to a BIOS update

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Glad to hear you sorted your problem have you noticed any latency problems with that board, I have the same board and the latency in the drivers is way over the top just wondering if its just me.

idata
Employee

Shoa, not sure what you mean but I have not noticed any delays when using "Flight Sim X"

I am using what I believe are the latest drivers for this card from ATI (2D - 8.01.01.1105 and 3D - 8.14.10.0798)

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been having problems with multiplayer games disconnecting a lot could not figure out the problem then i found a little program stand alone called latency checker, which checks the drivers for latency :

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

If the graph goes in to the red then the driver is delaying and as a result gives lag to the computer mine goes past the red to the moon and back but if i shut down the SMBus driver it almost corrects itself back to the green on idle.

If you get a chance can you give it a go please would be helpful to me to see what your results are you do not have to install its just a executable.

I have my own thread about this but no anwer yet.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Shoa, I downloaded that utility and ran it on my PC, the results are:

Test Interval 1000 us

Latency 97-120

Max 232

Green line at 500

Running the TV on the PC made no difference

Running Flight Sim X took the max to 232 but only occasionally.

Maybe you have something wrong with your PC. I keep my PC clean, that is once I used a utility and not using it again I get rid of it and then use "Driver Sweeper" to clean up. Same goes for any test applications. I also clean up the 'Temp" directories etc as well on a weekly basis as some programs do not clean up properly when they close - MS applications are known for this.

The end result is I have only apps and modules that I use all the time.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks will have to format and start again see what the problem is and which driver is making the syatem unstable by watching the program as I install each driver.

Annoying as I use a lot of programs and software in web design.

thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, so, i feel your pain. I hust bought a Gigabyte HD 6950, just a step above the 6870, i suppose. i had a previous nvidia 9500gt. so upon installing this into my Dell Dimension 5150, with a i945p/pl/g/gz chipset, and a 0RD203 motherboard, according to cpu-z, Gigabyte rep told me to uninstall all video drivers to eliminate conflict. i uninstall all Nvidia and might have accidentally unistall intel accelerated graphics something something. but i reinstalled the ATI catalyst driver center i guess that should've have all my graphics drivers in it? but before uninstalling the drivers from intel and nvidia, the card would have small amounts of pixel distortion or bad rendering such as about 35-45 pixels over my 1080p tv would sem burnt out, but werent as by the time i upsized the desktop resolution to 1080p and opened a program they were gone. ???? So, after saying ok to that, i noticed that at first the graphics benchmark program Furmark 3D, would only run at a avg FPS of 20 and would jump rather often, as well i could not run 1080p or any higher setting on WOW, so the AMD rep told me to try another game, so i reinstalled The Witcher. after noticing the Witcher, which is 1080p capable too, would not let me run high resolutions either, i did notice while on the phone with the AMD rep Furmark started running great at 110 FPS, which is a huge jump from before. this is just after only installing the Witcher, so after this sucess i went back to the games and again niether would load high resolution and if i tried higher graphics the video would shutdown.And by the way the 1280x960 res that it would allow i think is the standard for my integrated videocard, which in my bios should have been disabled via the "onboard/peg" option that let a PEG card override integrated ones. so after all this i let the Gigabyte rep convince me to somehow go and uninstall all nvidia and ati software and in the process i uninstalled anything related to graphics. im in need of help, lol. i dont know what drivers i need to get it to where furmark will run without shutting my videodown even before the application fully loads and that i can somehow make this card work anywhere close to what it should, or at all in my programs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

oh and just incase it matters

Dell Dimension 5150, latest A07 Bios

pentium 4 630 3.0ghz

3Gb of 533mhz ram

945 express chipset family, 9.2.0.1021 driver

pci express 1x-16x

2 pci express

600watt power supply

creative x-fi sound card

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 10.12 driver, latest from ATI

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Barry, first up I would say you may be a bit light on for power. I had problems with a 650watt not powering the card properly so add the 100watt supply.

Are these cards okay with P4?

I would put the old graphics card back in and run a program called "driver Sweeper" to clean up garbage bit from drivers. Then put in the new card and load the ATI drivers.

After that, I would see whose m/b Dell are using and ask for an updated bios

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

that should read 1000 watt

0 Kudos