Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

QX6850 - Which cores are real and which are HT?

idata
Employee

I have a QX6850 and can not find any literature about the core layout.

I am not an expert, but was just curious as to which ones; 0 1 2 3 cores are real and which ones are the ht core?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

0 + 2 = real

1 + 3 = hyper threaded?

0 + 1 = real

2 + 3 = ht?

any help would be awesome

DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

The HT are the odd number on the Xeon processors so I assume the same here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What monitoring program is providing you with the numbers 0 - 3? Or where are you getting these numbers from?

Your question is a good one, since the numbering of the cores in an utility program is apparently arbitrary, whatever the programmer chooses. But, it would be nice if which cores are real and which are the hyper-threading virtual cores were identified by the softwares documentation, or in it's UI.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

going by bios and RealTemp

I have an evga 680i.

The BIOS refers to them as 0 1 2 3 for controlling.

Real Temp shows 0 and 1 cores as a higher temp on average then 2 and 3 as slightly lower, which is making me think that 0 and 1 are the real cores, but nothing confirmed.

on average:

0 and 1 running are 52c

2 and 3 running are 49c

both sets are matched during influx. i.e. running a full screen game, cores 0 and 1 temps raise together and 2 and 3 raise together but a little cooler.

idata
Employee

Whoa, I just noticed something here...

Given that you have a QX6850, then you have four real cores, and four core threads, for a total of eight. Check the specs here:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=30789&processor=QX6850&spec-codes=SLAFN http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=30789&processor=QX6850&spec-codes=SLAFN

A QX6850 is a quad core processor with Hyper-Threading. Hyper-Threading allows two "threads" or two separate parts of a program to run at the same time within one core. So the effect is like having another core running, but there is not another real core. You cannot measure the temperature of a virtual core, it does not exist, it is the temperature of the core where two threads are executing.

You are seeing the temps of each core of your quad core processor, that's all. Some Vista and Win 7 gadgets show CPU core usage, I use one on my Core 2 Quad and Core i7 CPUs, and they show eight cores, or really eight threads. I thought you were seeing a similar thing with a dual core CPU which would show four threads, but labels them each as a Core. So you fooled me for a while with that one... and yourself.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
# of Cores4# of Threads4

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technologyhttp://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?HyperThreading=true No

According to the white sheet you linked, there is no HT on my cpu. I guess that answers part of my question. Thank you for finding the stats.

I still wonder why the temperatures of core 0 and 1 are always so closely linked and 2 and 3 linked as well but they are about 5-10 degrees apart from each other during full cpu load?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

None of the QX CPUs do hyper threading.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yikes!! When I saw the specs and found this CPU has four cores, I wanted to get that information out immediately and did not check the rest of the specs.

I was stuck in HT-mode since that is the main thread (Ha!) of this thread.

0 Kudos