1 2 3 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 2:26 AM by jonhd

D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

dCrypt

I used to have a Ubuntu 10.10 homesever installed in a SDHC card, inserted in a MR04 SDHC to USB adapter (mini PCIe form factor). After upgrading to the recent BIOS v0400 and then to v0501, my system no longer boots. After extensive testing during the weekend, I am pretty sure there is some serious problem with partition detection in BIOS when a USB media is present. I will explain why.

The results of the tests are the following:

Facts:

- All this tests were done using a bare system, with just a Transcend 16gb USB pendrive and a LG USB external DVD drive plugged in.

- No SATA HDD was used during the tests, except for the specific SATA HDD Ubuntu installation.

- No other USB devices, apart from the mouse and keyboard, were used during these tests.

- The only change in the setup from the working system to the system setup of these tests was the BIOS upgrade.

- The BIOS was setup during these tests in order to boot directly to the USB DVD first, then to the USB pendrive.

- No single BIOS option was changed during these tests.

- All the tests were repeated at least up to 5 times, in order to detect constant behaviours given a specific setup.

- I've tried resetting the BIOS to defauult values (F9 after accessing the BIOS) and even the removal of the battery.

Tests:

* Linux ext2 partition created and formatted in the pendrive (no OS installed).

+ Booting to Windows 7 32bit installation DVD

- Sometimes a blinking cursor is shown after POST screen and the DVD does not boot

- Sometimes Windows setup hungs before the progress bar is shown

- Sometimes I get "cdboot: cannot boot from cd - code: 4" error while Windows setup is loading

+ Booting to Ubuntu 10.10 32bit installation DVD

- Ubuntu boots fine

+ Booting to Ubuntu 10.10 32bit installed in SATA HDD

- Ubuntu boots fine

* Partition created in the pendrive, unformatted.

- Sometimes BIOS stops with error code 66 during POST screen

- Sometimes Windows setup hungs before the progress bar is shown

- Sometimes Windows setup resets while loading

- Ubuntu boots fine

* Fat16, Fat32 or NTFS partition created and formatted in the pendrive (no OS installed)

- Windows boots fine

- Ubuntu boots fine

* Ubuntu 10.10 32bit installed in the pendrive in ext2 partition

- Blinking cursor after POST screen and it doesn't boot

* Ubuntu 10.10 installed in a SATA HDD in ext2 partition

- Installs and boots perfectly

So, after these tests I am pretty sure there are some problems with the BIOS routines detecting the partition type/filesystem, and USB media supports only Windows partitions.

Any fix for that? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

I can confirm this, and I agree with your analysis that there is a serious problem in the BIOS partition handling. Here is a summary of my tests. Like you I made every effort to make sure my results were repeatable.

With BIOS v0175 I had no problem booting Linux from an ext3 partition on USB. With BIOS v0400 or v0501 the same device no longer boots. It hangs after showing the message "Welcome to GRUB!" (GRUB2) or "GRUB Loading stage1.5" (GRUB legacy) and does not reach the GRUB boot menu.

Formatting the ext3 partition as a FAT16 partition (same contents) works. It is an unnacceptable workaround for me though, even for a boot partition.

Booting Linux from an ext3 partition on a SATA disk works, unless an ext3-formatted USB disk is plugged in, in which case GRUB hangs as described above.

Booting Windows from a SATA disk works, unless an ext3-formatted USB disk is plugged in, in which case it just hangs with a black screen.

Running the Debian installer from CD reaches the menu but no further unless the installer is run with 'edd=off', i.e. type 'expert edd=off' at the prompt 'Boot:' in Help. Which suggests that the BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive (EDD) services (INT 0x13 extensions) are not working properly.

Let us not forget that D510MO has space for an onboard USB SSD, so booting from USB is _supposed_ to be a feature of the board.

Intel please fix this quickly - the functionality of the board is severely impaired and it is not possible to downgrade the BIOS to a working version because of the switch from BIOS series MOPNV10J to MOPNV10N at v0400. And look hard at your quality control - v0400 and v0501 were clearly not even slightly tested before release.

• 2. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501
            dCrypt

It would be great to know how to downgrade from v501 to v311, as no method works at all.

Thanks for your time, mros

• 3. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

Comparing the 10N-series BIOS release notes for D510MO and the very similar board D525MW, I notice that D525MW BIOS v0071 contains almost the same fixes as D510MO BIOS v0400+v0501, but there is an extra item which looks relevant:

D525MW BIOS MWPNT10N.86A.0071  (released 11 Nov 2010):
              "Fixed issue where not all partitions are visible in BIOS with dual partitioned USB flash drive."

D510MO BIOS MOPNV10N.86A.0501  (released 03 Nov 2010):
              fix missing

It looks like this fix should also be applied to the D510MO BIOS.

Could someone check whether the D525MW does or does not have the USB partition problems described in this thread? I don't have a board to test myself.

Intel, could someone make an informed statement about this and indicate when the D510MO BIOS will be fixed, whatever the problem is ?

• 5. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

Don't know if my problem is related to yours, but since this is the only thread I found that looks like it could.. :-)

My problem:

we're using an Intel D510MO with a SD to SATA Adapter and an 8 GB SDHC card. There were no problems installing Linux on the SD card. The Adapter is identified by the bios and I can boot the installed Linux with a few other PCs. The D510MO board tells me, that there are "no bootable devices".

What I've done so far:
                * changed a few bios settings

* updated the BIOS to the newest available (MOPNV10J.86A.0311)

* tested the SD Adapter on a few other PCs. No problems with the adapter.

Maybe you guys have an idea. Thanks for your time.

Daniel

• 6. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

I am having the same issue. In my case, the problem is more serious as I have a small box with 2 sata drives booting off a USB flash drive running Ubuntu server 10.04. Both drives (1TB and 1.5TB) contain single partitions for data and I cannot install any OS on them as a workaround. Basically, I have a bricked system. I spent a long time with Intel phone support this morning and, in the end, was told that Linux users are SOL since article 008326 states that Linux is not supported. In fact, according to TS, there are absolutely NO ISSUES with bios version 501 and therefore there will be no fixes forthcoming. In fact, I was also given a sermon about not updating the bios if there was nothing wrong with the current version and some silly story about incompatible RAM preventing the downgrade. I had a working system for about 5 months and I suspect that any RAM issues would have shown up by now. TS later confirmed that my crucial RAM was indeed on the supported list...BUT STILL. They suggested I try to downgrade with different RAM. In my case, the Recovery method (with bios jumper off) does nothing. No video, no output. I let it sit for a good 30 minutes just in case but zip, nada, nothing.

Net/Net, I need to go out shopping for a different motherboard. I think I will pick a manufacturer that does not reserve the right break any non-M$ OS I might choose to install on MY system.

For those of you out there that are having this problem, I suggest calling Tech Support at 916-377-7000 and creating a support ticket if you want to see a fix in the next few months. I don't think I can wait but you might. Shame to lose reasonably good HW for such a stupid reason.

• 7. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501
                    dCrypt

Thanks for the info, rsk02. I opened a ticket with chat support and discussed the whole situation with several guys from the TS staff, just to come to the same conclusions. They didn't told me that it will be fixed, but I undestood that a BIOS update was going to be developed since then. One of the faulty situations I tested is to plug a USB stick with one partition created but no OS installed (can be EXT2, or no filesystem created at all),  in which Windows 7 refuses to boot. No Linux related.

I hope they undestood me quite well, fix it, and don't stick to the wrong idea of not supporting Linux installed in a USB stick (because Linux works like a charm in a HDD).

• 8. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

rsk02 thank you for talking to tech support. You have my sympathy - clearly that guy should not be allowed to use his crayons unattended.

dCrypt thanks for opening a ticket with chat support.

Of course in the Linux world we do not require any "support" in the Windows sense of the word - Intel does not need to provide any drivers or applications for Linux or do anything Linux-specific, even in the BIOS. We just need Intel not to screw up the boot process and pass over control to the bootloader of whatever OS is installed.

Article 008326 indeed says nothing about Linux for this board, but article 028648 says the board is "YES CERTIFIED" for SUSE Linux. It was certified on 23 Jun 2010 for 64-bit SLED 11 with BIOS version 0210.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008326.htm
                      http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028648.htm
                      http://developer.novell.com/yes/132854.htm

Obviously with BIOS version 0501 the board would no longer pass Novell's certification tests.

Intel clearly cannot claim Linux certification and at the same time deny responsibility for fixing the BIOS it broke. I doubt that is actually company policy depite what one TS might claim.

Linux aside, as dCrypt says, BIOS v0501 also breaks Windows. The blame lies squarely with Intel (not MS) -- nothing can be done at OS level to rectify this.

• 9. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

Wow, I'm glad I checked here before I upgraded.  I've had a open post about usb booting since summer with no answer.  Mine relates more to "slow boot" from a usb stick as it only seems to only function at usb1.1 until the OS drivers are loaded (FreeBSD/NAS) in my case.  Another manufactures board boots in 30s vs 3-4min on this one.

I've been watching for BIOS updates and using a SATA attached CF, but as a NAS box I'd rather not waste the SATA port.  I was hoping a USB fix was coming and certainly didn't expect complete breakage.

Oh well, filtering out intel and WD products will make shopping easier.

• 10. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501
                          dCrypt

I am glad my advice served to its purpose.

And I am very upset the BIOS upgrade has been available for a long time, and Intel didn't fix it. I am afraid they don't even consider it as faulty, as it has not been removed yet from the list.

I can't believe Intel's excuses are the Linux lack of support. My tests did evidence about Windows installation failure as well.

I think I am going to come back to the tech support team and reopen my support ticket.

BTW, rjwaldren, ¿why WD?

• 11. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

I can confirm that the same problem (can't boot Ubuntu 10.10 from USB) exists on the D525MW board even with the latest BIOS (version 0074, Dec 17).  I pulled my hair out for 3 days trying to get this to work.  I'm going to call Intel tech support on Monday to open a ticket.  I worked at Intel for 10 years so maybe they'll actually pretend to take this issue seriously??

• 12. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

Same problem - in my case USB stick (tried a few!) / Xubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 (was running 10.04 just fine pre-0400 update). Tried the BIOS update, as I thought it might enable me to revert to my original planned config (CF thro' CF<>SATA adaptor). I hate this mobo!

• 13. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

I have exactly the same problem. Yesterday I upgraded BIOS to version 0501 (hoping that this will fix some random freezes) and now I have a bricked Ubuntu Server. Intel, "thank you" very much for listening to your customers.

• 14. Re: D510MO and USB boot problems after upgrading to BIOS v0400 + v0501

Hi I too have upgraded my Tranquil Pc WHS Home Server SQA-5S and now have a bricked system i have tried the bios recovery but no go screen blank and usb stick just flashes on an off i have also attached a sata cd drive and tried to flash it with that in recovery mode and the same again blank screen and the drive just flashes on an off.

I have tried the flash with pressing F7 and tried to flash back to 0311 but i get an error saying oem bios id incorect  and the server just reboots so it will not flash back

Intel Please Fix This

Swampy

1 2 3 Previous Next