Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Converting RAID 0 to RAID 1

idata
Employee

What is a practical method of converting my RAID 0 2-drive system to RAID 1? Apparently it can't be done from the Intel Rapid Storage Console.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

No you can't do that but you can change it to RAID 5.

The reason is simple you can't fit twice the size that your RAID 0 is in to half the size in to a RAID 1.

You can change a RAID 1 to RAID 0 but not the other way round.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, Peter;

Perhaps I should clarify: the Raid 0 system has 2 drives, a 500 GB and 1 TB, and the dataset is about 400 GB. So size not being an issue, can it be done?

I was thinking of something like adding a 3rd drive, creating a recovery volume on that one, then re-configuring the Raid 0 drives to raid 1, and using the recovery volume to restore the data. Not sure if this will work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can not convert a RAID 0 to RAID 1 their is simply no option to do this! I'm not saying it can't be done but AS it IS their is simply no option to do this as part of what you can do.

As for your idea I didn't get why you would want a RAID 1 that has redundancy and then a recovery volume to back up RAID 1? If thats what you want fine but I don't think it can do a recovery volume on a RAID only from a single disk.

0 Kudos