Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

BMC LOST INTEL S5520HC

idata
Employee

Hello at all,

I've a bad day with my server. I have a Mobo S5520HC and 2 Xeon E5620.

Today i've tired to upgrade the bios to the last version but i receive error 005: update failture!

It seems to be impossible to upgrade the BMC and is not possible to complete the upgrade process.

Is very strange because the server boot Windows.....

I've tired the upgrade with BMC recovery jumper, but nothing

I have one error message "the FW is in....mode" , but all the jumpers arent at 1-2 positions!

When i boot and type F2 the bios information error report 84F3.

Can anyone is able to help me?

Is the motherboard crash?

Thanx

GG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Looks like the BMC still thinks it is in update mode.

I would :

1) Download the EFI update package again to make sure nothing was corrupted in the download process.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19387&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19387&lang=eng

2) AC cycle the system and try to update again.

This will take it out of update mode, but depending on where the flash fail, your BMC may be inactive.

if passes -- Good

if any issues with the f;lash after the AC cycle, you may have to do a BMC Forced update,

3) Force BMC Update Procedure

When performing a standard BMC firmware update procedure, the update utility places the

BMC into an update mode, allowing the firmware to load safely onto the flash device. In the

unlikely event the BMC firmware update process fails due to the BMC not being in the proper

update state, the server boards provide a Force BMC Update jumper (J1H1) that forces the

BMC into the proper update state. In the event the standard BMC firmware update process fails,

complete the following procedure:

1. Power down and remove the AC power cord.

2. Open the server chassis. See your server chassis documentation for instructions.

3. Move the jumper (J1H1) from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to

the enabled position (covering pins 2 and 3).

4. Close the server chassis.

5. Reconnect the AC power cord and power up the server.

6. Perform the BMC firmware update procedure as documented in the

Update_Instruction.txt file included in the given BMC firmware update package. After

successful completion of the firmware update process, the firmware update utility may

generate an error stating the BMC is still in update mode.

7. Power down and remove the AC power cord.

8. Open the server chassis.

9. Move the jumper (J1H1) from the enabled position (covering pins 2 and 3) to the

disabled position (covering pins 1 and 2).

10. Close the server chassis.

11. Reconnect the AC power cord and power up the server.

Note:

When the Force BMC Update jumper is set to the enabled position, normal BMC

functionality is disabled. You should never run the server with the Force BMC Update jumper

set in this position. You should only use this jumper setting when the standard firmware update

process fails. When the server is running normally, this jumper must remain in the

default/disabled position.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

AC cycle? what is this? I need to unplug the ac cord and replug?

Thanx for now...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, I've tired the update and the forced update but nothing...

I attach 2 photos of my screen...it seem to be NOT ANY bmc in my server...(in the photo I tired the bmc 40 as the instruction manual, I've tired also the 0053 and the last 0054, same results).

Now...i go to buy another one new mobo?

I have another and last question: my power led in front of my chassis (SC5650) is amber when I plug the power cord and it remain everyday amber, this is because don not find the BMC? Or my BMC problems arent from power?

Please let me know as soon as possible, now i'm stop work and if i need a new card i need to order as soon as possible...

Thanx

0 Kudos
JasonT_Intel

So this is a long shot but worth trying out -- if you have an Intel(R) Remote Management Module 3 installed, try removing it from the board & perform your firmware update.

Error 84F3 during POST means that "Baseboard management controller in update mode"

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

giginhq wrote:

Ok, I've tired the update and the forced update but nothing...

I attach 2 photos of my screen...it seem to be NOT ANY bmc in my server...(in the photo I tired the bmc 40 as the instruction manual, I've tired also the 0053 and the last 0054, same results).

Now...i go to buy another one new mobo?

I have another and last question: my power led in front of my chassis (SC5650) is amber when I plug the power cord and it remain everyday amber, this is because don not find the BMC? Or my BMC problems arent from power?

Please let me know as soon as possible, now i'm stop work and if i need a new card i need to order as soon as possible...

Thanx

Did you remove AC when finished, reset jumper then reconnect AC?

The "WARNNING: No SMBIOS entry for KCS address message..." indicates the BMC is in force update mode (or dead)

The solid yellow LED indicated the same.

Loading BMC_00xx.ima is the code being loaded into RAM

Read 0000:0000 is the op code

Read 0004:0000 is the PIA code

(if an RMM is installed you should get a READ 0080:0000 for the RMM) (If you have an RMM it looks like it may be hanging something up)

Two (or 3 if you have an RMM) rows of uploading ( I don't see this in your picture which is strange)

Please wait..

This may take...

ERROR 005:Update Failure (BMC can't start because jumper is still installed) AC off. reset jumper and the BMC should come up (maybe)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks you all for your valuable replies...Unfortunately I still have not solved the problems.

Now I had to buy a new card the same as the previous,everything works.

Now and then I have a few more questions to ask yourself:

1. Can I repair my old card, the one with the bmc broken/dead?

2. how much it costs to repair it?

3. I know you recommend a intel service center in Italy or in Europe where I can send the card to do the repair?

and more questions relating to the FRU, SRD info and Product Asset Tag, where can I find this information:

Chassis info area of the FRU

Chassis serial number

Chassis Part Number

Chassis Manufacturer name

System info area of the fru

System part number

Product part number

System serial number

Product serial number

Product asset tag

I hope you can help

Thanks again to all

GG

0 Kudos
JasonT_Intel

Your serverboard may still be under warranty, you can go back to your reseller or where you bought the board from & obtain a replacement.

The FRUSDR update would ask those questions, the serial number of the chassis can be found on the actual chassis box, the part# of the chassis is what you are using (SC5650 ?), some of the questions like serial # of the board, part# of the board would automatically be filled out during the update.

0 Kudos