4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 4:17 PM by bcohagan

PRO/1000 GT drivers for Win Server 2008 R2?

bcohagan

From what I have found thus far there are no such drivers, but wanted to try here to verify.  If there are no drivers, what flavor Intel NIC's *are* supported under this x64 OS? If it is in fact supported then where might I find the drivers?

Actually the OS I'm using is Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, but I believe drivers for full Server will also work for Hyper V.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• 2. Re: PRO/1000 GT drivers for Win Server 2008 R2?
          bcohagan

Edward

Thanks for the quick response.  So, from the referenced table it would appear that the PRO/1000 GT is supported "in the box" for Win Server 2008 R2; however it appears NOT to be supported in Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 since the NIC is not detected at all by the OS. Apparently my assumption generalizing support from Server 2008 to Hyper V 2008 was a bit optimistic.

So, is there a similar table enumerating supported adapters for Hyper V 2008 R2? Alternatively can you point me to instructions for installing drivers for the PRO/1000 GT from the command line (since Hyper-V has no GUI, Device Manager, etc.)?

Thanks,

Bill

• 3. Re: PRO/1000 GT drivers for Win Server 2008 R2?
            mark_h_@intel

I don't know what drivers are included in the Hyper-V server package. Maybe they don't include drivers like they do for the full editions of Windows 2008 R2. The adapters that were listed at http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030614.htm as having full support should be able to use the Intel drivers for Windows 2008 R2.

None of the PCI / PCI-x adapters have drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 except the inbox drivers. All of the supported adapters need a PCIe slot large enough for the adapter you choose, so check out what you have available on your motherboard before buying one.

The drivers are available in download center at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18725.

The readme has command line information that you can use to install the drivers, PROSet, and advanced network services (ANS).

How do I configure advanced features in Windows Server 2008* core installations? gives information on configuring the adapter capabilities using the command line utility.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

• 4. Re: PRO/1000 GT drivers for Win Server 2008 R2?
              bcohagan

Mark

Thanks for the response.  I downloaded the ProSet.exe file for WS2008R2 64 bit from your website and ran it on the Hyper V system from the command line. After unpacking files and starting up, the installation failed with a dialog saying that no Intel Adapter products were found on the machine. The PRO/1000 GT Desktop adapter was in fact installed in a PCI slot as required.

Since I hadn't yet invested time building VM's for this system I decided to try one last approach. I simply did a clean install of the HyperV Server 2008 R2 (with the Intel card still installed) and the installation completed with both the original (non Intel) and the new PRO/1000 cards detected and configured -- so I now have the card working on the system. (To be clear, I originally installed the PRO/1000 *after* the original OS install as a second NIC.)  So, I conclude that it is not a driver problem (which is to say that obviously there is an appropriate driver). It is a command line installation problem and/or a problem of identifying the appropriate driver module(s) to download from the Intel site.

Perhaps the necessary information and downloads are available on the Intel site, but I was unable to find them. Simply assuming that WS2008R2 appropriate drivers/installs will work from the HyperV command line obviously is not a productive approach. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for Intel to invest in addressing the HyperV "market" by publishing more specific info.  This of course assumes the HyperV market is large enough to make this feasible. I don't have any data one way or another on that, but since it's a free OS and since virtualization is a Big Thing I'm guessing that it will be a reasonably large market.

Regards,

Bill