Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14368 Discussions

i5 760 overheating error

idata
Employee

Hello,

I just bought an i5 760 CPU and an ASUS motherboard. I used the stock fan and heatsink. The first time I test booted (no monitor), I got one beep as if everything was OK. I turned it off and put a monitor on, and the next boot gave a message that the CPU was overheating. I turned it off and checked the heatsink and fan. I turned it on again and got the message again. I couldn't find anything wrong, so I pressed F1 to bypass the message and started to install Windows before thinking better of it and checking the temperature in the BIOS. The temperature was alternating between 98 and 98.5 C, so I turned it off and reseated the heatsink. This time the temperature was in mid 20s. This is my first build in 6 years, so even though it seems to be working great, could this cause any lasting damage?

Thanks!

9 Replies
idata
Employee

If it was actually at 98 and not just a misreport and you used it constantly then possibly. But you dont mentioned the system shutting down by itself, which it will do if the CPU gets too hot, to protect itself, and now you say it's at 20 so teh chances are eitehr heatsin not on properly or a misreport of some sort so nothing to worry about.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The first time I got the message, I think it was on for about 30 seconds. The second time (after I pressed F1 to bypass it), it was on for up to 5 minutes.

I have been using it over the weekend and haven't had any problems (I tried some computer games and video editing). I like it a lot (came from AMD64 3500). What is the best method to stress test it so that I can be sure that there are no issues? I downloaded Prime95, but wasn't sure which test and how long it should run.

I am more concerned about warranty, though -- even though I got a BIOS message telling me of the high temperature (when the stock heatsink seemed solid), I still used it. If the CPU were to die within warranty (which I think is 3 years), would there be a problem?

idata
Employee

"I have been using it over the weekend and haven't had any problems" are you still getting the error messages?

I personally use prime 95 too. It all depends what you want to test... if its just the CPU fo for small ftts if its for heat the middle one, if its RAM the last one.

In terms of warranty, if it is boxed yes it should be 3 years and in terms of voiding it..... in theory using anything else but the stock fan and overclocking will void warranty but if oyu are using it normally and it becomes faulty then i don't see why it would void teh warranty.

What temps are you running at now?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have not seen the CPU overheating message from the BIOS since reseating the heatsink. It has generally been running at 25-40 C. I haven't had any kind of problem during use, which is why I wanted to fully test it and see if anything comes up (because hopefully I could get it replaced then).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

(because hopefully I could get it replaced then). If you mean as in if prime 95 gives you an error or overheats the CPU then you wouldnt get a replacement.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Under what circumstances would warranty coverage apply? In the past, I know that some PC companies (like Dell) had you run "stress test" software to determine what parts are bad for replacement. If the CPU/stock cooling isn't able to handle high load, I was thinking that would be reason enough. Or are you saying that I would need to have an unstable system in real-world use? I was just worried that it might show up in rare cases where I had high CPU load.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

real world uses that will use you CPU to such a degree are far and few between... and if you are going to be using it like that then definatey get a 3rd party fan, although this may void your warranty.

Usually as you said it would have to be instability or no post stuff like that. If your CPU shutsdown from overheating because you are using a stress test such as prime then no i doubt it would be replaced!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos