Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel RST won't install/show up in devices manager Win7 64 bit

idata
Employee

I run an ASUS P5QD turbo MB (P45 chipset with ICH10R southbridge) with an OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD as boot drive in AHCI mode. OS is Win7 Home 64 bit. I have been using latest RST 9.6.0.1014 which worked fine till today. Today I right clicked "update driver" by mistake (my intended click target was an entry 2 lines above) and Win7 "updated" the drivers to some 8.XX-Version of RST (Matrix Storage driver). I do not recall exact version as I intended to remove it as soon as I noticed my mistake.

As mentioned above,I tried to get rid of this downgrade immediately and wanted to install the IATA96 install file which contains the RST 9.6.0.1014. However, after completion and reboot the device manager still would show me the 8.XX Version. Checking installed programs the RST 9.6.0.1014 showed up though. Later I noticed the warning message that Intel RST service would not be running. Clicking on the icon trying to start the RST manager endet in the application crashing.

I then uninstalled the RST install using right-click "remove program" and in addition right-click removed all ATA-devices present in device manager. Upon reboot, Win7 installed the default Windows AHCI drivers as expected. However, after running the Intel RST installer a few times, there is still no change in devices manager. "Installed programs" shows me the RST properly installed, devices manager says it is not and that my drives are running on the default Microsoft AHCI drivers.

Uninstalled and re-installed several times now, even in safe mode to no effect. What can I do? Present state ist shown in the screenshot. Thanx in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Do you have your SSD in one of the red SATA ports and have you set AHCI in the BIOS for the SATA ports?

Did you reboot after installing RST?

Run AS SSD Benchmark (you don't have to run the benchmark) and in the top left it should say "iaStor".

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4 http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I have 3 drives 1 SSD and 2 conventional drives which are all plugged into the red ports. BIOS is set to AHCI and I did several reboots. Actually the system is up and running - but on msahci drivers and not the Intel RST which I would prefer.

Installing the RST won't change the current msahci to RST however as if it does not install properly. Strange thing is that there is no error message though, installer runs through and tells me to reboot. After reboot there is no change which is weird.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The "msahci" in windows 7 supports TRIM you don't have to change it.

Try changing the AHCI to RAID in the BIOS as TRIM is still supported in RAID for a single SSD and even if your not doing RAID it will still work for single drives.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Solved the problem in the meantime by trying to install the new RST 10.0.0.1046 WHQL. Install went smoothly and no errors so far with my Vertex 2. Thanks nevertheless.

0 Kudos