Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4871 Discussions

Intel 82576 Gb Ethernet and MSI-X support

idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

I have a 82576 Gigabit Ethernet card and I need to enable the MSI-X support, that allows load balancing of interrupt handling between different cores.

The problem is that I'm looking for a motherboard with the appropriate support for it, but the chipset specifications on the website are not so clear..

Can anyone help me? What about the S342GPV Server Board? And what about a Q57 based board? Do they support a card with MSI-X enabled?

thanks for your answers

Anna

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Anna -

By default, our device drivers will enable MSI-X usage if the operating system and platform are enabled to support MSI-X. Generally speaking, most all PCI Express based motherboards can support MSI-X enabled operating systems. I cannot find a link to the S342GPV (perhaps you mean the S3420GPV) server board, but the Q57 motherboard and S3420GPV will support devices with MSI-X capabilities.

If you indicate the operating system you are using we can let you know if our driver supports MSI-X in that environment.

Thank you for using Intel Ethernet.

Cheers,

-- miles

idata
Employee

Thank you

Yes I mean the S3420GPV server board, and Q57 based motherboards.

I will use Linux (> 2.6.30), but it doesn't matter because I know that it supports MSI-X with 82576 cards..

I need just to be sure that those MB support MSI-X, because I need to buy one of them as development machine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Both those boards (and the 82576) support MSI-X. And since you are using a Linux kernel >2.6.30 you should be golden. Happy developing!

Cheers,

-- miles

0 Kudos