4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 1:56 PM by mechbob

RAID 0s & Win7 Ult64 Crashing after Hibernating - DP55KG, RS2WC040

Univac_Mk152

I have (4) RAID 0s attached to an Intel DP55KG motherboard with i7 860 CPU, (2) 2TB-NTFS and (2) 4TB-GPT using (8) Hitachi 7200K 3G SATA II hard drives.

One 2TB and 4TB RAID 0 on the motherboard's integrated Intel RAID controller and one each on the Intel RS2WC040 RAID controller board, displayed via an ATI 5850 video board.

I have hard drive sleep disabled and PCI bus power at full. Upon system wake-up from hibernation, there is some hard drive activity, but does not display the Win logon screen. Always crashing after hibernation on a Win7 Ult64 system, leaving the monitor black with the RAID drives readable but not accessible for writing.

I have all of the current BIOS, chipset and peripheral software installed. DP55KG motherboard [BIOS KGIBX10J.86A], chipset [driver 9.1.2.1008], RS2WC040 RAID controller [firmware 20.7.1-0016], ATI 5850 video card [Catalyst driver 10.10].

How do I correct this issue?

Message was edited by: Univac_Mk152 - changed sleep mode to hibernating

• 1. Re: RAID 0s & Win7 Ult64 Crashing after Sleep Mode - DP55KG, RS2WC040
          mechbob

Do you have your ( S-state ) set to S1 or S3 ?? If you have it at S3 change  it to S1 , see if your problem goes away??

• 2. Re: RAID 0s & Win7 Ult64 Crashing after Sleep Mode - DP55KG, RS2WC040
            Univac_Mk152

Thanks for your suggestion. Changing the motherboard BIOS, ACPI setting from S3 to S1 changed the nature of the problem. Switching the setting to S1, has the computer system shutting down and powering off automatically, once the sleep mode timer has expired, the system never going into hibernation.

I conducted the same test twice, with each event, screen saver, sleep mode and hibernate set to one minute apart. This is the error message that appeared when restarting Win7 U64 for the second time, after changing the MB BIOS from S3 to S1.

IMGP3720-crop.jpg

Hence, it appears as though both BIOS settings, S1 and S3 introduce their own set of unique problems when the system wants to go into hibernation. I have changed the original posting as I should have stated hibernate as appose to sleep mode.

Events following a normal shut down of Win7 U64:

i) booted and changed BIOS ACPI setting from S3 to S1

reboot and started Win7 U64

system is up and appears nominal

reduced system sleep and hibernate times for test

system will not go into hibernate mode after sleep mode expires

shut down Win7 U64

ii) reboot and started Win7 U64

system crashed with error message -  resumed loading Win7 U64

system automatically shut down on it's own after sleep mode time expired

iii) reboot and started Win7 U64

system automatically shuts down on it's own after sleep mode time expired

iv) rebooted and started Win7 U64

system automatically shuts down on it's own after sleep mode time expired

• 3. Re: RAID 0s & Win7 Ult64 Crashing after Sleep Mode - DP55KG, RS2WC040
              mechbob

How do you have your power scheme set up , Is it set for power saving or performance ???

• 4. Re: RAID 0s & Win7 Ult64 Crashing after Sleep Mode - DP55KG, RS2WC040
                mechbob

It's in your control panel under ,Power options . I keep mine set so the computer never sleeps , Because when I'm done for the day I shut it down I don't let it sleep.