0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 10:03 AM by tdoran@arcandspark.net

Intel Desktop Board DQ57TM (BOXDQ57TM) & Possible Use of PCIe Revision 1.1 Storage Controller (RAID) . . .

tdoran@arcandspark.net

Reference the following combination: Intel Desktop Board DQ57TM (BOXDQ57TM) / Intel Core i5 i5-650 3.20 GHz Processor (BX80616I5650)

The above reference motherboard has per the Intel ARKPCIe x16 Gen 2.x”, and one would ASSUME THAT THIS SLOT IS FULLY COMPLIANT TO PCIe REVISION 2.x (GEN 2), and any current modification and/or updates since this motherboard was LAUNCHED Q1'10.

Using the Intel Core i5 i5-650 3.20 GHz Processor (BX80616I5650) to provide Integrated Graphics Processing (with Intel Graphics Technology) outputted to the DVI-D port.

Planning use of the following fixed disk drives within the system:

01 each  SSDSA2MH080G2R5  Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC

04 each  WD2003FYYS  RE4 WD2003FYYS 2 TB Internal Hard Drive (RAID 5 Array)

02 each  WD5003ABYX  RE4 WD5003ABYX 500 GB Internal Hard Drive (RAID 1 MIRROR Array)

02 each  ST9600204SS Seagate Savvio® 10K.4 SAS 6-Gb/s 600-GB Hard Drive (RAID 1 MIRROR Array)

01 each  Optical Disk Drive (ODD)

Thus due to the fact that only 4 INTERNAL SATA PORTS ARE AVAILABLE on the Intel Desktop Board DQ57TM (BOXDQ57TM) and that we have “mixed technologiesSAS / SATA, use of a STORAGE CONTROLLER IS REQUIRED.

All current shipping Adaptec SAS RAID controllers are manufactured to PCIe Revision 1.1 not to Revision 2.x (GEN 2).

Must current shipping LSI SAS RAID controllers are to PCIe Revision 2.x (GEN 2) and also 6Gb/s SATA/SAS, in addition some do support SED FIPS 140-2 encryption and crypto technology with AES cipher keys.

Several questions here are as follows:

Would any PCIe Revision 1.1 storage controller function on this motherboard, as there has been some “backwards compatibility issues” previously on other motherboards (specifically Intel & Gigabyte)?

Would any current shipping Adaptec SAS RAID controller that is PCIe Revision 1.1 function on this motherboard at full performance levels, or would some degradation be noted due to the issue of the use of the PCIe Revision 1.1 specification by Adaptec considering that the above noted fixed disk drives are very high performance enterprise class?

Since IntelREBRANDSLSI SAS controllers as their own for use on Intel Server products; could there be any “poisoning” to favor the LSI ROC that Intel uses, even though this is a desktop motherboard?

Any ideas, suggestions?