4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 7:03 PM by junghyun

How to get kernel oops message?

junghyun

I'm modifying kernel code.

The method I connect to SCC cores is ssh.

If kernel dies, ssh just stopped.

How can I get kernel fault messages?

• 1. Re: How to get kernel oops message?
          tedk

I haven't had much experience with custom kernels. But when I log onto say rck00 with the default SCC Linux I see in /var/log a messages file. Is this what you are interested in getting at?

When we have a kernel crash, we reboot the cores which of course puts a new image on them, wiping out what is there. If it were not SCC, what we sometimes do if we cannot reboot is bring the system up at a lower runlevel and look at log files. I don't think that's possible with SCC.

Do you think it is possible to have your custom kernel write  the /var/log information out to /shared where it would then be available from the MCPC. I'll also talk to some of the kernel developers on this end.

• 2. Re: How to get kernel oops message?
            junghyun

Yes, your last suggestion is good for me.

I'm reading /var/log/messages file, but when I got kernel fault, ssh terminal just stopped and cannot show me kernel fault messages.

I'll also look into how to do it.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to get kernel oops message?
              tedk

It turns out that your kernel may crash even before it knows about /shared. But you can still look at SCC memory with the sccKit. You can use the sccKit memory reader either from the command line or the sccGui. I'm looking for more specifics on how to do this, but this is the method the OS designers here used.

• 4. Re: How to get kernel oops message?
                junghyun

Yes, It would be great.

Please let me know how to do it.