6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 3:27 PM by Flying_Kiwi

DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel

GPSJane

Intel DG45ID

Windows XP

Gigabyte Setto 1000 chassis (front panel audio supports AC97 and HD according to specs)

I had lots of problems installing the drivers but after installing SP3 it worked fine. I got it to install once before that but then it bombed out.

Now, the jack detection does not seem all that great because when I plug in headphones into the front panel it either does not detect them or if it does it says there is also a mic.

Also, even once the headphones are detected, the back panel audio continues to play. I need it to automatically disable back panel audio out when the front panel is active. Anyone know how to do that?

This may also be a stupid question; should both the AC97 and HD headers be plugged in for the front panel or just one of them? I have tried with each but not both in case it blows something. If just one which one is better if I am just using stereo headphones and occasionally a mic?

Lastly, I get a buzzing sound from the front panel audio and I think it is the fan or the harddrive which are both right there. How do I fix that? Or perhaps I should send the case back!

• 1. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel
          Flying_Kiwi

The cable you use should be the HD one for that model of case. The front panel cable should be shielded and not run beside other cables or near sources of electromagnetic noise wherever possible for the best sound quality. Good luck attempting to plug in both the HD and AC97 cables at the same time on a DG45ID - where would they both be plugged into? Have a read of the DG45ID manual from Intels website and you'll see that the pinouts for the HD Audio Link connector, aside from having too many pins for your case, in no way match!

If the front panel audio cable wasn't correctly connected before installing the drivers then after making sure the cable is correctly connected, I'd be inclined to uninstall the drivers, reboot the PC and reinstall them again from scratch. If the back panel connected speakers still work while your front panel headphones are connected, you could always mute them in the mixer panel. Personally I wouldn't use that case with a DG45ID but that's just because the board is designed for use in a Media Centre PC or HTPC and thats how I have mine set up (in an Antec Fusion Remote Max case).

• 2. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel

Ok so I have used the HD cable and will use that one form now on. You can plug in both becuse the DG45ID has both AC97 and HD audio headers and the case has both connectors. The HD connector on the case looks exactly like the HD connector pictured on the audio troubleshooting page on the Intel website and it just connects in the middle of all the pins (use the key pin to place it).

The cables are shielded but do run past the harddrive mounts. I have determined that it is my harddrive that makes the high pitched sound by unplugging the fans.

The front panel audio was correct but I did check them, uninstall the drivers, reboot, disable audio in the BIOS, reboot, enable audio and reinstall the drivers. Several times.

Regardless of what the board was made for it should never the less work correctly.

Another problem I am having is that sometimes the PC speaker emits 3 beeps on POST and the computer doesn't boot. 3 beeps means memory failure but it's not a consistent problem and it happens (and doesn't happen) with 2 memory modules installed or with 1 installed (I've tried both of them).

Could this be related to the audio issues and is it likely my mobo or memory DIMMs? I have Corsair 800Mhz 2 x 2Gb matched memory.

• 3. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel
              Flying_Kiwi

Guest wrote:

Ok so I have used the HD cable and will use that one form now on. You can plug in both becuse the DG45ID has both AC97 and HD audio headers and the case has both connectors. The HD connector on the case looks exactly like the HD connector pictured on the audio troubleshooting page on the Intel website and it just connects in the middle of all the pins (use the key pin to place it).

I take back what I mentioned about the possibilities of connecting both connectors at the same time a 10 (9) pin plug to a 16 (15) pin header and a 10 (9) pin plug to a 10 (9) pin header - I never even thought of the possibility for what you may have done 

Where there's a will there's a way but I can assure you that plugging in the HD connector part way along the HD Audio Link header so the key lines up is NOT the way to do it - and you could in fact damage bits and pieces if you try as the wiring would be totally wrong! If you've done this already, switch off the PC, unplug the mains and remove that plug right away! In your case you would plug in the HD Audio cable from the case into the 10 (9) pin audio header. If you try this you may rectify the noise problem at the same time as you'll be rewiring things correctly. The 16 (15) pin header is actually an Intel HD Audio Link header which is different to a HD Audio header (note the word 'link' in there. If you do a Google search for this term, you'll find that this is meant for connecting to another piece of hardware and NOT front panel ports. I really hope you haven't permanenetly damaged anything but it does raise the point that things aren't as clear and bullet-proof as they could be Intel (if you're reading this).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel
                GPSJane

Ok, but there was absolutley no difference between the HD audio conneted to the Intel HD audio header and the normal audio connected to the normal audio header.

Also, I have to ask, why does Intel show a picture of an HD audio connector in the troubleshooting guide that I linked to in the original post and it is a 10-pin connector? I assumed by that, that some of the pins were just not used for my fornt panel which is not an unheard of thing to do.

All my problems are still happening even with NO fornt panel audio connected.

• 5. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel
                  Flying_Kiwi

There may have been no difference in terms of audio performance but theres a very significant difference in terms of how they are connected - check out the DG45ID manual to see what each header pin is for. The corresponding 'middle' pins on the HD Audio Link connector are so different to the headers on the standard audio headers eg do you see any 3.3 v or 5 v supplies in the ordinary header arrangement?

It seems by your second paragraph that you haven't understood clearly yet HD Audio Link and HD Audio are 2 different, non-interchanagble things. It's like saying why doesn't my PCI-E card work in a PCI slot - they're just different, plain and simple. I did a Google search on the topic and it seems you are far from being the only one confused by the similar naming, I even remember having to check the manual carefully when I connected up my front panel connectors for the same reason.

Moving forward, with the front panel audio ports completely unplugged, you could try uninstalling the audio drivers, reboot and then reinstall them. Short of this or even a last ditch fresh install from scratch rectifying your noise issue then it appears the board may have become damaged by being incorrectly wired up in this way.... Time to enlist the assistance of a computer repair shop to test out a new board in it to see if there's any difference.

• 6. Re: DG45ID front panel audio does not disable back panel
                    GPSJane

I get what you're saying but I still have not been able to find out what Intel HD audio link is as opposed to HD audio. Furthermore, Intel are the ones who came up with the HD audio specification in the first place.

Even the Intel form factor specification for motherboard and case designers only specifies a 10-pin connctor or header and no 16 pin specs at all.

I think that the noise problem is a cable or some other issue related to the case design but the driver problems are not related. I have had these installation problems since before I connected up the front panel.

I have found some other people with similar issues on other mobos with the same audio chip (IDT drivers) but no solution.